Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Media's contempt of Bengals sparks the ire of present and former Bengals.
(02-19-2020, 02:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: If this whole fiasco doesn't motivate the front office to get off their ass and do something, nothing will. I have no doubts the players are pissed off, and will be on a mission, but the front office is where my concerns lie.

I am not saying they need to make a splash in FA and overpay for a name, but there are some substantial upgrades out there that they need to look long and hard at to overcome some of their massive whiffs in the draft of late....specifically on the offensive line.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You are always going to have glass half full fans and glass half empty fans. I am glad I am a glass half full fan. For the Media its fake news they hate us for the most part have since I became a Bengals fan and I am pretty sure they always will hate us. Even if we win they will still hate on us it is just what they do. One of the players said only the people in our building matter when it comes to who we pick so the media is just blowing hot air they will not effect who we chose. This is a sport you watch it for fun you root for your team to win once the preseason games start its a sign football is back and we all love that time of the year. Do not get caught up in all the hate for the most part we will all be supporting our team again this year no matter what happens between now and then. Go Bengals I love this team and the chance to root them on.
Reply/Quote
Chick 'fil a Waffle Fries...

I have spoken.
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow is smart enough and man enough to see right thru the media, and in fact all this Bengals stuff could be making him want to play here and adding fuel to his fire. They are using him as well as the Bengals for click bait. They are lying about him and his words, they are staging him and setting him up to get the right words to twist, and they are lying about the Bengals and how bad we've been. They want their little tricks to get into his head so he "pulls an Eli" or whatever.

In a few years, folks like Dan Patrick are going to be begging for a Joe Burrow interview after he wins his first SB in Cinci.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I stopped reading after the first paragraph to give you rep lol  

The rest of the post is great, too, though  ThumbsUp

However, I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph because of how much success Palmer had here and we've evolved (even if only a tiny bit) since then.  

I agree with it just being click bait.  They might think that the fans believe that, so they post it just so people click it and jump on the "they're going to ruin him" bandwagon.  

I do agree with the last paragraph about the media being happy with where we're at because we're a small market franchise, which will make it even sweeter when we finally break through and get a playoff win or two.

We have progressed as far as on-field success, but I think that's more due to Tobin and Marvin doing a fine job of bringing in talent through the draft. Not because the Brown family has made any real change to how they themselves operate. Because of that, I have serious questions about the sustainability of that success. I think we've already seen that talent fade and the success with it.

We're now at a crossroads. We need a serious dive into free agency and some big-boy cuts/trades (Glenn, Dalton, etc) to free up money to reboot this roster. We'll see if the Brown family can step up to the plate. Either way, there are things we haven't changed that will still hold this team back. The lack of a practice facility. Small scouting department. More importantly (and less discussed) is our overall structure.

Tobin is our "GM". He's been around for 20 years, which is far beyond the typical lifespan of a GM. Is he a lifer? Is Mike still the real GM? What happens when Mike passes? Are we too reliant/loyal to Tobin? If so, it'll be hard to have any accountability for failures. There are 100 other issues worth mentioning, but I'll just leave it there.

(02-20-2020, 05:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I don't disagree with what you have written here. Ts, I remember a time when the Saints, and Bucs where treated very much the same way.
Both of those franchises were able to overcome and win a SB in my lifetime. Here's to hoping our ownership will do the same, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The media will treat us that way until we have a big breakthrough and win a Super Bowl. I'm with ya. Not holding my breath.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 06:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tobin is our "GM". He's been around for 20 years, which is far beyond the typical lifespan of a GM. Is he a lifer? Is Mike still the real GM? What happens when Mike passes? Are we too reliant/loyal to Tobin? If so, it'll be hard to have any accountability for failures. There are 100 other issues worth mentioning, but I'll just leave it there.

Yes

I think Tobin's power in decision making on players is fairly low, it's been eroding since 2015. The brain trust gets together and kicks whoever around but only Mike has true veto power and the final ok.

There's no true accountability that way. Piano man here 30 years, ML 16, Tobin 20+ and so on.
Reply/Quote
Tell us what you really think Chris ya huge d-bag !

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 10:56 AM)Earendil Wrote: Chick 'fil a Waffle Fries...

I have spoken.

Whole lotta good that'll do ya on Sunday.

Better get those Rally's fries on the way to church.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 08:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

I think Tobin's power in decision making on players is fairly low, it's been eroding since 2015. The brain trust gets together and kicks whoever around but only Mike has true veto power and the final ok.

There's no true accountability that way. Piano man here 30 years, ML 16, Tobin 20+ and so on.

I'm not big on Zac Taylor, but I also think it hurts that he meets with the "brain trust" daily. There has to be separation between management, and players and coaches. That shit goes on nowhere else but maybe Dallas.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 11:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Tell us what you really think Chris ya huge d-bag !

I'll catch a ton of flack for saying this, but I agree with Chris. A rebranding would be nice, and yes the stripes have a stink of losing associated with them. Mike would never change them though. His dad signed off on those stripes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We have the best helmets in the league. The majority of other teams are boring as hell. They just slap a logo on them and call it a day. Bengals, Rams, and Vikes at least standout.

Reply/Quote
If Chris Simms ever learns to pronounce "Bengals" and quits calling them "Bangles", maybe I'll listen to his opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 01:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll catch a ton of flack for saying this, but I agree with Chris. A rebranding would be nice, and yes the stripes have a stink of losing associated with them. Mike would never change them though. His dad signed off on those stripes.

Nah...  the stink of losing is cured by winning.

Field play like the 2015 meltdown adds to this negative perception, even though that's probably one of the best teams we had in a while.

A crown on the helmet?  The frickin' "NATI" on the helmet?

Sorry Shake I don't agree with these dummies.

Could they use a uniform change from time to time?  Hell yeah.

The helmet is fine and certainly not one of the worst in the league.

It's Mike Brown who is an NFL dinosaur that makes the team we love stale and ridiculed.

Not some damn helmet.  He might as well have an L tattooed to his forehead even though he's making money.

I would be first in line to vote for change in ownership that is forward thinking.

I'm not trying to turn this into a uni thread.

I'm merely pointing out that "stink of losing" is the mothballs smell of Brown and his front office.

Chris is a douchebag.  His comments about the Denver Broncos are something a know-nothing Facebooker would make.

What finally won them Super Bowls was actually having a run game, a hall of fame TE, and an offensive line that you could plug and play RBs.

Not rebranding.  Even though they got blown out in those earlier Super Bowls I don't recall people acting like they were losers.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw this in the discussion because to say the Bengals' helmet is negative and them to flat out act like it's ugly is stupid as hell.

We know why the Bengals are monikered as the Bungles.  The stripes on the helmet are not it.  Changing it wouldn't change a damn thing.
Reply/Quote
One last thought.

I don't trust this ownership to do much of anything right.

Why would I want them messing with the helmets?

Can you imagine what they'd do?   Nervous

For anyone who thinks we should have "BENGALS" written on the side of the helmet....  okay [Image: th?id=OIP.AmZ7iclXMQg0cs2iUuexyQHaGw&pid...=164&h=151]
Reply/Quote
The original helmets were awful.

Reply/Quote
Just another Dim Simms like his father. The reason I became a Bengal fan when I was like 7 years old was because we
had the coolest helmets I had ever seen. Sure, I would like to change it up once in awhile and go black stripes with the
white but that would be the only way I would ever change our helmets up.
Reply/Quote
I would put a lot of stock into what these ex and former players say if any of them had won a SB anytime or for that matter even 1 playoff game!

Reply/Quote
[quote='Shake n Blake' pid='837458' dateline='1582406171']

We have progressed as far as on-field success, but I think that's more due to Tobin and Marvin doing a fine job of bringing in talent through the draft. Not because the Brown family has made any real change to how they themselves operate. Because of that, I have serious questions about the sustainability of that success. I think we've already seen that talent fade and the success with it.

We're now at a crossroads. We need a serious dive into free agency and some big-boy cuts/trades (Glenn, Dalton, etc) to free up money to reboot this roster. We'll see if the Brown family can step up to the plate. Either way, there are things we haven't changed that will still hold this team back. The lack of a practice facility. Small scouting department. More importantly (and less discussed) is our overall structure.

Tobin is our "GM". He's been around for 20 years, which is far beyond the typical lifespan of a GM. Is he a lifer? Is Mike still the real GM? What happens when Mike passes? Are we too reliant/loyal to Tobin? If so, it'll be hard to have any accountability for failures. There are 100 other issues worth mentioning, but I'll just leave it there.

I don't know where Katie and hubby stand on Tobin. But when Duke was hired, his dad Bill Tobin was hired by MB as a "consultant". He was a former GM for the Bears and the Colts and Dir. of Player Personnel for the Lions.

He was also a very close friend of Paul Brown.

Soooooo, you know how MB is about loyalty.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 05:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I don't disagree with what you have written here. Ts, I remember a time when the Saints, and Bucs where treated very much the same way.
Both of those franchises were able to overcome and win a SB in my lifetime. Here's to hoping our ownership will do the same, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ah yes....I remember the days of the Bucco Bruce Yuccaneers and the hapless Aints.  Funny, as a kid, I never thought either of those teams would win a SB before us....yet, here we are.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not saying they need to make a splash in FA and overpay for a name, but there are some substantial upgrades out there that they need to look long and hard at to overcome some of their massive whiffs in the draft of late....specifically on the offensive line.  

Exactly right.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote