Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow and 17 game seasons for 18 years?
Joe Burrow and Herbert and others will now get 17 games to break records versus 16. This has happened in the NFL before, increasing games per season. Rumor is it will be at 18 games sooner than later.

Burrow was unlucky getting injured in 2020, but a healthy Joe Burrow getting an extra game a year versus Brees, Favre and others is an opportunity for him to break a lot of records.

I may not be around to see it being an old guy, but who thinks Burrow can go after some QB records including immediately yards or TD's per season immediately?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If we put the right pieces in place he will get up there. He's pretty talented, but we really haven't seen what he can do with good protection.

Reply/Quote
I like Burrow and think he has tons of potential, but lets wait until he produces at least at an above average level before we start talking about him breaking Brees and Favre records.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 07:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I like Burrow and think he has tons of potential, but lets wait until he produces at least at an above average level before we start talking about him breaking Brees and Favre records.

Yep. He was good as a rookie . . . unfortunately most Bengal players plateau when they get here.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Burrow can have a HOF career for the Bengals but if you are talking about extra games and breaking records then Mahomes has to be the first guy you think of.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe Burrow and Herbert and others will now get 17 games to break records versus 16. This has happened in the NFL before, increasing games per season. Rumor is it will be at 18 games sooner than later.

Burrow was unlucky getting injured in 2021, but a healthy Joe Burrow getting an extra game a year versus Brees, Favre and others is an opportunity for him to break a lot of records.

I may not be around to see it being an old guy, but who thinks Burrow can go after some QB records including immediately yards or TD's per season immediately?

I keep seeing people say 2021 referring to last season... it was the 2020 season. We're in 2021 NOW!! 
Reply/Quote
Just hoping he doesn't get broken.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 08:21 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Hopefully Burrow can have a HOF career for the Bengals but if you are talking about extra games and breaking records then Mahomes has to be the first guy you think of.

There is the best, the top and the top 10 of all time and each season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I watched all of Burrow's games. I'm not as enthused as most of you. I think he had a decent season, but ... I'm a bottom line guy. Wins. Those didn't really come. Now granted his surrounding cast is/was suspect, but great QBs overcome average. Let's just wait and see rather than putting him in the Hall just yet.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:05 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I watched all of Burrow's games. I'm not as enthused as most of you. I think he had a decent season, but ... I'm a bottom line guy. Wins. Those didn't really come. Now granted his surrounding cast is/was suspect, but great QBs overcome average. Let's just wait and see rather than putting him in the Hall just yet.

Peyton Manning won 3 games his rookie season. And Zac Taylor makes Jim Mora look like Bill Belichick.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Peyton Manning won 3 games his rookie season. And Zac Taylor makes Jim Mora look like Bill Belichick.

Peyton Manning didn't become consistently great until his 6th NFL season. (138 TD/100 INT, 7.3 YPA, 85.9 QB Rating his first 5 seasons.) He was okay, but not great.

Lets hope Burrow doesn't take that long.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:05 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I watched all of Burrow's games. I'm not as enthused as most of you. I think he had a decent season, but ... I'm a bottom line guy. Wins. Those didn't really come. Now granted his surrounding cast is/was suspect, but great QBs overcome average. Let's just wait and see rather than putting him in the Hall just yet.

That's a terrible, TERRIBLE take.

Wow lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Peyton Manning won 3 games his rookie season. And Zac Taylor makes Jim Mora look like Bill Belichick.

Andy Dalton won 9 games his rookie season and took the Bengals to 5 straight playoffs -- losing all of them.  Your point?

I could list a boatload of #1 overall picks who were bombs.  Shoot if you want to include top 5 the list would be ridiculous.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 07:46 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Andy Dalton won 9 games his rookie season and took the Bengals to 5 straight playoffs -- losing all of them.  Your point?

I could list a boatload of #1 overall picks who were bombs.  Shoot if you want to include top 5 the list would be ridiculous.

The point is judging a rookie QB on a terrible team solely on wins/losses is really dumb.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe Burrow and Herbert and others will now get 17 games to break records versus 16. This has happened in the NFL before, increasing games per season. Rumor is it will be at 18 games sooner than later.

Burrow was unlucky getting injured in 2020, but a healthy Joe Burrow getting an extra game a year versus Brees, Favre and others is an opportunity for him to break a lot of records.

whats the for 18 years part?

Lets get the dude thru 1 season healthy first
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The point is judging a rookie QB on a terrible team solely on wins/losses is really dumb.

andys rookie year we argueably had a worse team in place... as we were predicted to win all of ZERO games...  This time we just had horrible coaches
Reply/Quote

The NFL of the future will demand .... ready for this?  TWO! yes, TWO QBs instead of one if they go to 18 games. There will no longer be a 1 QB phenomena. Most teams will be relying on 2 reliable QBs than one. Longer season, more injuries, more fatigue and simply put, the teams that can implement 2 QBs successfully, will be dominating the NFL season after season.

You heard it from me first. Is it possible to have 2 equally active QBs? heck yeah..
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: andys rookie year we argueably had a worse team in place... as we were predicted to win all of ZERO games...  This time we just had horrible coaches

Both lines were way better in 11.

Reply/Quote
As optimistic as this thread is, it leaves out that Burrow will also be playing in 30+ playoff games in those 18 years. Plus, at the rate we are at if Burrow plays 306 more games here then he will attempt a whopping 12,240 passes and should crush every volume record ever. But, come 2041 we are going to draft a QB who will likely break Burrow's records because the NFL will be 25 games and even looking at the QB will be a 50 yard penalty. Also, we will draft a QB who will attempt at least 60 passes per game.

But on a more serious note, remember going into 2015 when the path to glory was to give Jeremy Hill 35 touches per game?
Reply/Quote
The number of games will not make as big of a difference as the way the NFL manipulates the game through officiating.

Last year there were massive drops in holding calls against the offense and a massive increase in the number of pass interference calls against the defense. Look at these numbers... 3842 yds... .652 Comp %...... 27 tds..... 93.6 passer rating. Those used to be the numbers of the top 10 QBs in the league, but last year that was the team average across the entire league.

If this continues even an average QB will have career numbers better than some of the best QBs in the league over the last decade.
Reply/Quote