Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Burrow is holding ball to long
(09-18-2022, 11:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: Still, even giving Burrow credit for 5 sacks, as Andrew Russell does, and Sample responsibility for one sack, that leaves 7 sacks in two games for the offensive line.  That still a lot of sacks, and a lot of hits on the QB. That still comes out to 60 sacks during the regular season.

It's frustrating because everyone and his brother pointed out the problem last year and they don't seem to be able to figure out how to fix it.

They ran 100 offensive plays against Steelers. It's not as bad as it seems.

The lack of push in the run game might be worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:42 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He needs to get rid of the ball quicker. some of it is the OLine. Some of it is Burrow holding the ball to long.

Here is part of the problem.  The pass offense is so poorly designed.

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1571673900118949889?s=21&t=5FDU1pEFbWQwpowl0ozRcQ
Reply/Quote
Here you go:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:38 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Andrew Russell who is tracking where the sacks come from 5 are on Burrow.

Lol HOW are they on Burrow, from him scrambling?  What would you have him do when he has to escape on a collapsed pocket and gets shoestringed from behind?  Burrow is trying to make a play, not be a *****.  I'm watching this GB/ Chicago game and Rodgers has TWICE the amout of time in the pocket as Burrow does.  Why is that?  That is called ADEQUATE offensive line production.  Damn some people can't see what is right in front of them.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:42 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He needs to get rid of the ball quicker. some of it is the OLine. Some of it is Burrow holding the ball to long.

But what about that kick to win it?

I couldn't tell if it was good or not. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s 99% offensive line and 1% Joe Burrow.  Under pressure there’s nowhere to throw the ball except out of bounds.

No...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:49 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: So throw it out of bounds and don't take the sack and damage? Not rocket science. He's been holding the ball for three seasons now and still hasn't learned.

You can't just throw the ball out of bounds when you get pressured.  That is a penalty for intentional grounding.  Burrow would need to be outside of the tackle box before he could do that and most of the time when Burrow gets pressured and hit, he is still in the pocket.  This would result in a penalty by throwing it out of bounds to avoid a sack.

These are basic NFL rules which everyone should already know by now.  Having some of our fans keep saying Burrow should just throw the ball out of bounds isn't a solution.  In fact it would be a penalty in most cases where Burrow is concerned.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 11:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: Still, even giving Burrow credit for 5 sacks, as Andrew Russell does, and Sample responsibility for one sack, that leaves 7 sacks in two games for the offensive line.  That still a lot of sacks, and a lot of hits on the QB. That still comes out to 60 sacks during the regular season.

It's frustrating because everyone and his brother pointed out the problem last year and they don't seem to be able to figure out how to fix it.

Thus is the Brown family tradition
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:01 AM)fisherscatfan Wrote: Here is part of the problem.  The pass offense is so poorly designed.

I love the part where Boyd runs 5 yards and then just stops and turns around. The other receivers clear out the middle of the field and Boyd's job is to run 5 yards and turn around?

Then to make it even better, when Burrow breaks the pocket, Boyd pivots and runs deep along the sidelines. Not towards the middle of the field, but away from the QB. 

Solid design. 

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:05 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: Lol HOW are they on Burrow, from him scrambling?  What would you have him do when he has to escape on a collapsed pocket and gets shoestringed from behind?  Burrow is trying to make a play, not be a *****.  I'm watching this GB/ Chicago game and Rodgers has TWICE the amout of time in the pocket as Burrow does.  Why is that?  That is called ADEQUATE offensive line production.  Damn some people can't see what is right in front of them.

thyere was 2 times today when burrow stepped straight into the pressure when no need. another one where he bouncing standing still an refused to just throw it away cause no one was open. same stuff last week to. if you dont think burrow is his share of the sacks you dont see what hes actualy doing. times he puts the line in no win situations
Reply/Quote
Meh. Most of it is not on Burrow. For some reason the Bengals cannot figure out how to protect him. He’s my favorite player and I hate to say this, but for his sake, he needs to demand a trade. I just don’t see him getting to the SB ever again, which is what everyone was afraid of when he got drafted by you guys. Eventually the chickens would come home to roost. Looks like it’s happening.

I think he’ll demand a trade at the end of the season, if he has any sense. It’s a shame that the Bengals don’t think he’s worth protecting.
Reply/Quote
The play caller isn't giving Burrow many options when the pressure is applied. That 3rd and 4 where Burrow was sacked was so bad. Basically everyone was running deep routes.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:53 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Meh. Most of it is not on Burrow. For some reason the Bengals cannot figure out how to protect him. He’s my favorite player and I hate to say this, but for his sake, he needs to demand a trade. I just don’t see him getting to the SB ever again, which is what everyone was afraid of when he got drafted by you guys. Eventually the chickens would come home to roost. Looks like it’s happening.

I think he’ll demand a trade at the end of the season, if he has any sense. It’s a shame that the Bengals don’t think he’s worth protecting.

That's a bit extreme, but I also find the idea that Burrow would never dream of playing anywhere but here to be fading the more and more "on pace to be sacked a record amount of times" games we see piling up.

Keep in mind too that Burrow watched a QB who spent 12 years being a "stat padder who will never win a SB" win a SB in his first year on a less snakebitten franchise.  If we keep botching this year it'll be wishful thinking to assume Burrow won't have it cross his mind again.  Does the guy live to spend his entire career being driven into the Paycor Field™ turf?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:53 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Meh. Most of it is not on Burrow. For some reason the Bengals cannot figure out how to protect him. He’s my favorite player and I hate to say this, but for his sake, he needs to demand a trade. I just don’t see him getting to the SB ever again, which is what everyone was afraid of when he got drafted by you guys. Eventually the chickens would come home to roost. Looks like it’s happening.

What does this even mean? Why do people just say things that are literally total fabrications?

You realize they brought in 3 brand new starters on the OL right? And not scrubs either. 2 of them blocked for Brady on Super Bowl winning teams.

The 3rd guy was one of the highest rated players at his position last year.

This is not a matter of not trying. It’s lack of execution.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What does this even mean? Why do people just say things that are literally total fabrications?

You realize they brought in 3 brand new starters on the OL right? And not scrubs either. 2 of them blocked for Brady on Super Bowl winning teams.

The 3rd guy was one of the highest rated players at his position last year.

This is not a matter of not trying. It’s lack of execution.

Yep, that's the best and worst part.  The positive spin is that it COULD and SHOULD come together and work.  The negative spin is that we've tried fixing this line via the draft and free agency for years and we're still talking "David Carr."

Side note, Matt Ryan was getting plastered behind the Colt's oline today against Jacksonville.  How long can he last?
Reply/Quote
It's the line. Put Burrow behind Brady's line & they're 2-0
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:48 AM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: It's the line. Put Burrow behind Brady's line & they're 2-0

True or not, I feel like we've said this exact thing for years about Burrow, Dalton, maybe even Palmer.  
Reply/Quote
We’ve seen Burrow win behind a bad OL. The difference right now is him. He just doesn’t look right yet.

Reply/Quote

2 guys WIDE OPEN on this play and Burrow takes a sack instead of hitting one his check downs.

Reply/Quote