Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow on Concussions
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34732172/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-says-head-injuries-inherent-part-playing-nfl

"I've had some where I don't remember the second half or I don't remember the entire game or I know I got a little dizzy at one point," Burrow told The Colin Cowherd Podcast. "But nothing long-lasting."

Burrow went on to say that those issues are part of playing the sport.

"You're going to have head injuries," Burrow told the podcast. "You're going to tear your ACL. You're going to break your arm. That's the game that we play. That's the life that we live. And we get paid handsomely for it. I think going into every game, we know what we're getting ourselves into."

"You have 300-pound men running 20 miles an hour trying to take your head off while you're standing still, trying to ignore it and find receivers that are open," Burrow said on the podcast.

--

He gets it.  Hopefully the league does not over react and start to treat him different, tho.
Reply/Quote
The league fired the independent neurologist who cleared Tua. That's admitting they did not do the right thing. I suspect we won't see many QB's who take hits to the head cleared for the rest of the year.
Reply/Quote
The problem is, if they are going to be so protective over the QBs

And hone in on any above shoulder pad hit.

Then, it incentivizes the opposing teams to take the head shot to get the QB under the microscope of the Concussion Protocol

Ejections for a player on D pale in comparison to missing your QB for portion of a game, or multiple games.
Reply/Quote
"Why? If they don't care, why should I?"

It's not quite that easy. The NFL has to protect themselves against lawsuits in the future. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I don't mind being overprotective of quarterbacks. They're not only the breadwinners of the league, but also the most vulnerable. All other positions can focus on their niche and protect themselves accordingly. Quarterbacks are playing 4-D chess with their heads on a swivel, which can be dangerous. Just be consistent league-wide with the calls.

Burrow is very diplomatic about concussions. It's hard to know how much of that is a function of his youthful "invincibility." I wonder how he'll feel about the issue at the end of his career.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "Why? If they don't care, why should I?"

It's not quite that easy. The NFL has to protect themselves against lawsuits in the future. 

The NFL doesnt care. The players need to protect themselves from the NFL. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The NFL doesnt care. The players need to protect themselves from the NFL. 

The NFL cares in the sense of "these guys are the superstars, make us a bunch of money and we need to protect them". 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The NFL doesnt care. The players need to protect themselves from the NFL. 

These guys all know what they're getting into way before they enter the NFL. Yes, there are risks but that's also why they get paid very well.  A lot of folks would risk life long injuries to work for 5-10 years and be set for life. I know I would. So let's stop acting like the NFL is trying to hide things and the players should be cautious. It's a game they CHOOSE to play and get paid a lot of money for playing it.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:21 PM)ATOTR Wrote: The problem is, if they are going to be so protective over the QBs

And hone in on any above shoulder pad hit.  

Then, it incentivizes the opposing teams to take the head shot to get the QB under the microscope of the Concussion Protocol

Ejections for a player on D pale in comparison to missing your QB for portion of a game, or multiple games.

The only way to stop it is to fine the player so heavily they don't do it. And that doesn't mean a 15K fine, it means a 100K fine.
Reply/Quote

They care to the point that, stars are what drives the ratings which in turn brings in the money. They also care to the point that they don't want to be dealing with a bunch more lawsuits in the future. 

Players are the ones that don't care about today. They will, just about every one of them, do or say anything to get back on the field, whether it's for the love of the game or to make sure they keep getting a check. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think college football has done better with concussion protocol and prevention by reviewing targeting hits whether a flag was thrown or not. They are not being tolerant, the NFL rarely enforces targeting and an ejection from the game.

I think the NFL needs to be proactive with targeting and do all possible to shut it down. An ejection and then a 1 to 2 game suspension (no pay) would hep deter concussions.

It is a violent game so all players are at risk. Tua was concussed on a legal play, that will happen. But, once he did the stumbling when he got up, anything he says a few minutes later should be disregarded. What doctor is that stupid to see the guy look punchy as he falls to the ground after a hit and then say yes Tua that makes sense it was your back and knee that caused you to react that way. The dude was concussed against the Bills and the world saw it and then saw him be allowed to play again in the second half. The doctor was fired and rightly so was fired.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
15 yard penalty is a joke for a helmet to helmet hit.

Sure they get fined $15,000 but this hit literally can alter the course of a teams season + players short/long term health
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 15 yard penalty is a joke for a helmet to helmet hit.

Sure they get fined $15,000 but this hit literally can alter the course of a teams season + players short/long term health

Avg NFL Salary in 2022 is 6M

So, 15K on 6 is like  0.25% of their pay. 

Basically, that equals around a 500 Dollar fine for something who makes 200K a year in the real world. 

Not really a huge deterrent  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:54 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Avg NFL Salary in 2022 is 6K

So, 15K on 6 is like  0.25% of their pay. 

Basically, that equals around a 500 Dollar fine for something who makes 200K a year in the real world. 

Not really a huge deterrent  

I believe it's actually 705K now. But if it is 600K, a 15K fine would be 0.025.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 03:27 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I believe it's actually 705K now. But if it is 600K, a 15K fine would be 0.025.

Oh, I meant 6 Mill.  Not 6K, sorry!

that is the avg salary per year for an offensive or defensive starter. 

The 700K is a league Min, right?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 12:59 PM)ATOTR Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34732172/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-says-head-injuries-inherent-part-playing-nfl

"I've had some where I don't remember the second half or I don't remember the entire game or I know I got a little dizzy at one point," Burrow told The Colin Cowherd Podcast. "But nothing long-lasting."

Burrow went on to say that those issues are part of playing the sport.

"You're going to have head injuries," Burrow told the podcast. "You're going to tear your ACL. You're going to break your arm. That's the game that we play. That's the life that we live. And we get paid handsomely for it. I think going into every game, we know what we're getting ourselves into."

"You have 300-pound men running 20 miles an hour trying to take your head off while you're standing still, trying to ignore it and find receivers that are open," Burrow said on the podcast.

--

He gets it.  Hopefully the league does not over react and start to treat him different, tho.

The league just needs to make sure teams and doctors are following the process in place. No need to change anything.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The NFL cares in the sense of "these guys are the superstars, make us a bunch of money and we need to protect them". 

The revenue that they were losing when defenses were allowed to destroy franchise QBs caused rule changes as it was a direct impact to revenue.  The same line of thinking can be applied to concussion safety, as in if they aren't viewed as doing all that they can for player safety, they could be held financially liable to players and surviving families, as well as leave themselves subject to castigation by the activist crowd for being greedy corporate profiteers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The revenue that they were losing when defenses were allowed to destroy franchise QBs caused rule changes as it was a direct impact to revenue.  The same line of thinking can be applied to concussion safety, as in if they aren't viewed as doing all that they can for player safety, they could be held financially liable to players and surviving families, as well as leave themselves subject to castigation by the activist crowd for being greedy corporate profiteers.

What franchise qbs did the nfl allow defenses to destroy?

And when?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 04:35 PM)ATOTR Wrote: What franchise qbs did the nfl allow defenses to destroy?

And when?

Daunte Culpepper
Steve Young
Rich Gannon
Joe Theisman
Troy Aikman
Joe Montana
Greg Cook
David Carr
Andrew Luck

I'm sure that if I did some digging, I could find plenty more, and that's not getting into the guys who were promising and hadn't yet reached their full potential when their careers were cut short, before the modern rules protecting QBs initially, and now all players, went into effect.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 05:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Daunte Culpepper
Steve Young
Rich Gannon
Joe Theisman
Troy Aikman
Joe Montana
Greg Cook
David Carr
Andrew Luck

I'm sure that if I did some digging, I could find plenty more, and that's not getting into the guys who were promising and hadn't yet reached their full potential when their careers were cut short, before the modern rules protecting QBs initially, and now all players, went into effect.

Lol, what?

Culpepper - 11 year career retired age 32
Young- 15 years. retired at 38
Rich Gannon -  15 years. Retired age 39
Joe Theisman - 12 years, 36 at retire
Troy Aikman  - 12 years, 34 when retired 
Joe Montana - 15 years,  38 when retired 
Greg Cook - Torn Rotator Cuff 
David Carr - Sucked 
Andrew Luck - Chose to retire with 5 years left on contract at age 29
Reply/Quote