Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow on Concussions
(10-06-2022, 11:58 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: So you think Josh Tupou should have been fined for that hit?  Had nothing to do with a headshot yet knocked him unconscious.

A great many of the concussions are from the ground and not head-to-head contact.

Tua's concussion was not caused by a head shot, which is what we are discussing. Tupou's tackle was legal and proper. Go back to sleep....
Reply/Quote
I got to ask the question, but how are helmets designed? Different sport, but the Indianapolis 500 became the forefront leaders in safety barriers on their walls, and the cars are designed to disperse impact. This issue is not going to go away
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They all suffered devastating injuries that forced them out of the game, not on their own terms. Except Montana, his injury caused him to lose his job to Steve Young, and he went on to play a few more years with KC.

So you complied a list of 10+ year NFL Vet QBs who the league 'conspired to get injured and ruin their careers'  

Yet, any QB over a 10-15 year period will deal with multiple injuries. 

I guess while the NFL wanted to get your list of guys injured, they simultaneously protected:

Kordell Stewart
Jeff Blake
Carson Palmer
Bret favre
John Elway
Kyle Orton
Kerry Collins
Neil Odonell
Derek Anderson
Warren Moon

(I am just naming the 100's of other starting QBs during this time perioid) lol
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:54 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Avg NFL Salary in 2022 is 6M

So, 15K on 6 is like  0.25% of their pay. 

Basically, that equals around a 500 Dollar fine for something who makes 200K a year in the real world. 

Not really a huge deterrent  
It's more like having to scrape pocket lint out of their million dollar suits and hand it over as opposed to some schmuck making minimum wage and getting a speeding ticket.. Nobody in the NFL is going to have to worry about the rent because of a fine and the cops aren't dragging them off to jail if they blow their money on crap..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 01:23 PM)ATOTR Wrote: So you complied a list of 10+ year NFL Vet QBs who the league 'conspired to get injured and ruin their careers'  

Yet, any QB over a 10-15 year period will deal with multiple injuries. 

I guess while the NFL wanted to get your list of guys injured, they simultaneously protected:

Kordell Stewart
Jeff Blake
Carson Palmer
Bret favre
John Elway
Kyle Orton
Kerry Collins
Neil Odonell
Derek Anderson
Warren Moon

(I am just naming the 100's of other starting QBs during this time perioid) lol

At no point did I ever say that the NFL "wanted" any player to be injured.  I said that player safety only became prominently important to them when the injuries to star players started costing them revenue, and later social pressure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 02:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At no point did I ever say that the NFL "wanted" any player to be injured.  I said that player safety only became prominently important to them when the injuries to star players started costing them revenue, and later social pressure.

You said: 

"defenses were allowed to destroy franchise QBs, which caused rule changes as it was a direct impact to revenue."

Franchise QBs are getting injured at the same rate now as they were when you just spit out a bunch of random names of QBs who had long, established careers. 

Also, when was the NFL losing revenue due to Franchise QBs getting destroyed?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193457/total-league-revenue-of-the-nfl-since-2005/
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 04:10 PM)ATOTR Wrote: You said: 

"defenses were allowed to destroy franchise QBs, which caused rule changes as it was a direct impact to revenue."

Franchise QBs are getting injured at the same rate now as they were when you just spit out a bunch of random names of QBs who had long, established careers. 

Also, when was the NFL losing revenue due to Franchise QBs getting destroyed?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193457/total-league-revenue-of-the-nfl-since-2005/

Way to send a link to a paywall site, or give up all of your info for the free version..

Anyway, I lived and watched in that era.  Promising teams that did lose their starting QBs did cost the NFL revenue as some fans quit watching as they viewed the  season as lost, TV ratings went down for games that those teams were featured in, which cost the NFL revenue growth.  Even if the NFL's total revenue still showed growth in that period, they still lost out on plenty of dollars from casual fans' eyes that stopped watching those teams for the duration of the season. 

So now let me ask you;  Did the NFL suddenly start caring about players safety for humanitarian reasons, or because it was or potentially was going to cost them a lot of revenue?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Way to send a link to a paywall site, or give up all of your info for the free version..

Anyway, I lived and watched in that era.  Promising teams that did lose their starting QBs did cost the NFL revenue as some fans quit watching as they viewed the  season as lost, TV ratings went down for games that those teams were featured in, which cost the NFL revenue growth.  Even if the NFL's total revenue still showed growth in that period, they still lost out on plenty of dollars from casual fans' eyes that stopped watching those teams for the duration of the season. 

So now let me ask you;  Did the NFL suddenly start caring about players safety for humanitarian reasons, or because it was or potentially was going to cost them a lot of revenue?

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Way to send a link to a paywall site, or give up all of your info for the free version..

The above graph I posed refutes your stance.  NFL Rev has gone up for 30 straight years (Except for Covid year)

CTE wasnt even a known thing until around 2005. 

The NFL started caring about the Union (Will they join into a CBA), and potential lawsuits, and getting hammered in court. 

But, you said they lost revenue.  So, that was incorrect. 

http://www.city-data.com/blog/5013-national-football-league-american-treasure/

You will have to scroll to the second graph. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 08:08 PM)ATOTR Wrote: The above graph I posed refutes your stance.  NFL Rev has gone up for 30 straight years (Except for Covid year)

CTE wasnt even a known thing until around 2005. 

The NFL started caring about the Union (Will they join into a CBA), and potential lawsuits, and getting hammered in court. 

But, you said they lost revenue.  So, that was incorrect. 

http://www.city-data.com/blog/5013-national-football-league-american-treasure/

You will have to scroll to the second graph. 

Can't be. While their bottom line may not have dropped, it wasn't what it could have been. I am old enough to have been around in that era too, and once a team was out of the playoff run due to injuries or other reasons, all but die-hard fans quit watching and going to games. Remember, there was no fantasy leagues in those days, so when your team was out, there was nothing to root for other than the small amount of joy one could get by playing the spoiler for other teams. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't be. While their bottom line may not have dropped, it wasn't what it could have been. I am old enough to have been around in that era too, and once a team was out of the playoff run due to injuries or other reasons, all but die-hard fans quit watching and going to games. Remember, there was no fantasy leagues in those days, so when your team was out, there was nothing to root for other than the small amount of joy one could get by playing the spoiler for other teams. 

Lol - now you are talking about imaginary, made up 'Could have been revenue'.

He said they lost revenue.  They did not. 

Move on, he was wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:49 AM)ATOTR Wrote: Lol - now you are talking about imaginary, made up 'Could have been revenue'.

He said they lost revenue.  They did not. 

Move on, he was wrong. 

If you made 50 dollars last year, and were on track to make 100 dollars this year, but something happened and because of that you only made 60 dollars, you lost revenue. So move on yourself.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you made 50 dollars last year, and were on track to make 100 dollars this year, but something happened and because of that you only made 60 dollars, you lost revenue. So move on yourself.

Show me where the nfl lost money vs their projected revenue.

Just show me when this happened... instead of making things up. 

Edit* I guess if you know nothing about business or finance, you can say that 'Amazon lost money last year', cause my Grandma did not buy prime. lol
Reply/Quote