Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow ranked 13?
First of all, I really don't see how you can even rank a rookie QB this high who has not thrown a completion yet in the NFL? Worse yet is we still don't get that much respect from the press (like any of us are shocked). I was ok with the mini write up until the very last sentence. Now, I shall drink beer and figure out a way to track this writer down and, well, you know.  Cool

Who is Delite anyway? 

https://www.thedelite.com/starting-nfl-quarterbacks-ranked/21/?lvl=opt2&stack=ssp&utm_content=adrizer

Quote:We wouldn’t typically rank a rookie this highly, but Joe Burrow was so good in college that he seems like a guarantee at the next level. His senior season at LSU, which included a Heisman Trophy and national title win, has been called by some the best season by any player in 150 years of college football history. In case you missed it, he threw for a mind-blowing 5,671 yards in 15 games, completed 76.3% of his passes and threw for 60 touchdowns to just six picks. Throw in the fact that he hasn’t missed a start since before high school and you’ve got a prospect that only the Bengals could screw up.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 01:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: First of all, I really don't see how you can even rank a rookie QB this high who has not thrown a completion yet in the NFL? Worse yet is we still don't get that much respect from the press (like any of us are shocked). I was ok with the mini write up until the very last sentence. Now, I shall drink beer and figure out a way to track this writer down and, well, you know.  Cool

Who is Delite anyway? 

https://www.thedelite.com/starting-nfl-quarterbacks-ranked/21/?lvl=opt2&stack=ssp&utm_content=adrizer

Former 90s one hit wonder . . .

Reply/Quote
I agree Harley, impossible to rank a rookie QB that has yet to take a snap 13th of 32 QB's.

I hope he is wrong and he is top 10, he certainly has the skill players right now (pray group can stay healthy) to help him be top 15.

I think Joe will go through ups and downs, but do think week one he has an advantage since ZT revamped the offense and has this guy named Green back who demands attention from the DC which can open up other aspects of the offense.

Where do we peacefully protest at this guy's dinner with family for his last line? Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 02:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree Harley, impossible to rank a rookie QB that has yet to take a snap 13th of 32 QB's.

I hope he is wrong and he is top 10, he certainly has the skill players right now (pray group can stay healthy) to help him be top 15.

I think Joe will go through ups and downs, but do think week one he has an advantage since ZT revamped the offense and has this guy named Green back who demands attention from the DC which can open up other aspects of the offense.

Where do we peacefully protest at this guy's dinner with family for his last line?   Smirk

I can see it now. If Joe doesn't win the SB in year 1, our organization is trash and we have ruined a good QB. Ugh! 

Reply/Quote
Obviously there is nothing bad about having one of the greatest seasons ever by a college football QB. But when you look at the rest of the college QBs on the list of "greatest seasons ever" none of them were really good in the NFL.

Burrow is my QB and i support him 100%, but I don't see how he could be ranked #13 before ever taking a snap. Even the greatest prospects ever coming out of college (Elway, Luck, Manning, etc) did not set the league on fire as rookies.
Reply/Quote
PFF thinks he’ll be the 2nd best QB in the league within 5 years...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/9/5/21423820/bengals-joe-burrow-pff-2nd-best-nfl-qb-2025

Reply/Quote
I honestly have no clue with Burrow, he is that special.

I know the history, but this guy just seems different to me.

I know he will make his fair share of mistakes but I also know he will learn from them quickly.

Good test week 1 against that front.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously there is nothing bad about having one of the greatest seasons ever by a college football QB. But when you look at the rest of the college QBs on the list of "greatest seasons ever" none of them were really good in the NFL.

Burrow is my QB and i support him 100%, but I don't see how he could be ranked #13 before ever taking a snap. Even the greatest prospects ever coming out of college (Elway, Luck, Manning, etc) did not set the league on fire as rookies.

While for the most part I agree with you, Andrew lucks rookie season saw him set records for most yards in a season and in a single game by a rookie. Granted he had a low completion percentage and threw 18 picks, but he still finished 10th in the league in QBR that season. To paint it as if he had a bad rookie campaign would be an injustice to him.

Who knows if Burrow will be good or not, but to be ranked barely over the middle of the pack (13th) doesn’t mean you have to “set the league on fire”.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 01:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: First of all, I really don't see how you can even rank a rookie QB this high who has not thrown a completion yet in the NFL? Worse yet is we still don't get that much respect from the press (like any of us are shocked). I was ok with the mini write up until the very last sentence. Now, I shall drink beer and figure out a way to track this writer down and, well, you know.  Cool

Who is Delite anyway? 

Joe Burrow has 0 career interceptions, which is pretty incredible, you know?
Reply/Quote
If this guy is related to Hudy Delite, I'm a fan.
Reply/Quote

Who is Delite anyway? 

(09-07-2020, 02:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree Harley, impossible to rank a rookie QB that has yet to take a snap 13th of 32 QB's.

Where do we peacefully protest at this guy's dinner with family for his last line?   Smirk

The reporters who have watched practices already have said that Burrow has looked better than Dalton from the jump. If Dalton had been considered 15 to 20 range, then Burrow at 13th isn't nuts.

Is Burrow better than Haskins, Lock, Murray, Mayfield, Cousins, Rivers, Tannehill, Carr, Jimmy G, a beat up Cam Newton, Darnold, Fitzpatrick, etc.? 

I think you could debate/project him to be by end of season. So, I don't think 13th is horrifically out there or off base. Especially with the weapons around him.
Reply/Quote

Who is Delite anyway? 

No respect from the press? That ok. The feeling's mutual.

All that matters is what happens on the field. Geaux Jeaux!!! 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The reporters who have watched practices already have said that Burrow has looked better than Dalton from the jump.

Andy Dalton's first 8 seasons or his one year in the Taylor offense?

It would not take much to look better than he did last year.  
Reply/Quote
There have been many Heisman trophy QB's recently that get hyped up to do well then stink. I wish the press would just let Joe play his own game and let him earn respect on the field. We should give him time to learn.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously there is nothing bad about having one of the greatest seasons ever by a college football QB.  But when you look at the rest of the college QBs on the list of "greatest seasons ever" none of them were really good in the NFL.

Burrow is my QB and i support him 100%, but I don't see how he could be ranked #13 before ever taking a snap.  Even the greatest prospects ever coming out of college (Elway, Luck, Manning, etc) did not set the league on fire as rookies.

I get what you're saying and i agree it's too much to expect Burrow to be "great" in year 1 under these circumstances...but you're off in your assertion about the others not being good. 

Kylar Murray had a solid--very Andy Dalton like--season last year as a rookie. Baker Mayfield set the record for TDs by a rookie and finished that year with a 97+ rating. Russell Wilson has been consistently great. RGIII, pre injury, was a very good dual threat and finished his rookie year with a 102+ rating and Cam Newton has been solid, if just average, stats-wise. 

There were several that did absolutely nothing; Colt Brennan, Logan Woodside and Kellen Moore and one, Jameis Winston, that has put up stats but is a turnover machine. 

The best ever--consensus top picks that you noted--took time and Burrow will take time too. Every Bengals fan should be aware of and accept this. Anything more is just icing on the cake. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 07:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I get what you're saying and i agree it's too much to expect Burrow to be "great" in year 1 under these circumstances...but you're off in your assertion about the others not being good. 

Kylar Murray had a solid--very Andy Dalton like--season last year as a rookie. Baker Mayfield set the record for TDs by a rookie and finished that year with a 97+ rating. Russell Wilson has been consistently great. RGIII, pre injury, was a very good dual threat and finished his rookie year with a 102+ rating and Cam Newton has been solid, if just average, stats-wise. 

There were several that did absolutely nothing; Colt Brennan, Logan Woodside and Kellen Moore and one, Jameis Winston, that has put up stats but is a turnover machine. 

The best ever--consensus top picks that you noted--took time and Burrow will take time too. Every Bengals fan should be aware of and accept this. Anything more is just icing on the cake. 

Are you comparing Murray to Daltons rookie year ?  because i would put Dalton in as a successful rookie year as a QB  . 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 07:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Are you comparing Murray to Daltons rookie year ?  because i would put Dalton in as a successful rookie year as a QB  . 

Statistically, they were very similar in their rookie years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 08:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Statistically, they were very similar in their rookie years. 

yes but Dalton got Bengals to playoffs so he was more successful for sure
Reply/Quote
So according to the author he was the starter at Ohio State and no one realized it?
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 08:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: yes but Dalton got Bengals to playoffs so he was more successful for sure

Fred said none of them were good. I said Murray was good. Threw Andy Dalton in there because their stats were eerily similar, which backs up the point that if Dalton was good as a rookie, so was Murray. 

Reply/Quote