Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow's Final Presser 1/8/2024
Nuggets:

Joe Burrow: "We know the standard here. That's what we've got to get back to."

Joe Burrow: "Everyone's expectation is Tee will be back. The offseason plays out in crazy ways to don't expect, but we want Tee back."

Joe Burrow said that the Bengals discussed with him the plan for the future of the roster when he negotiated the contract extension. They talked about these moves over the summer.

Joe Burrow on Tee Higgins: "We'd love to have Tee back. He's a big part of what we've done here. It's no secret, our relationship. I expect Tee to be back. We all want Tee back."

Joe Burrow on the under center offense: "It brought some different things to the offense that we were not able to do at the start of the year because I physically couldn't do it (because of the calf)."
"It was a good couple weeks."

Joe Burrow is lifting with his legs and doing a lot of core work. Tougher to do upper body workouts, but they're modifying a plan to keep his upper body strong.
"It's tough when you watch from the sideline. I was focused on getting myself better every day and doing what I could for Jake."

Joe Burrow: "Feeling good. Getting better every day."
No target date to throw. "I think I should be good for OTAs. We'll see."
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Here's the video:

Reply/Quote
I appreciate the sentiment on Tee, but I just don't see it happening.

You don't pay Tee over Chase. And unless Tee is willing to give a heavy discount, I don't think a team can responsibly afford Tee and Chase. So I expect him to be back for one more year on the tag, but after that he's deservedly cashing in with a team that will pay him to be a WR1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The bad thing about tagging Tee is that it guarantees him 20+million next year, and eats up about half the available cap space for next year. That's a risky proposition for someone who was often injured.

I think they tag him and try to trade him, drafting his replacement in round one.

Chase forces teams to double team him. He is the one to pay.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:21 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: The bad thing about tagging Tee is that it guarantees him 20+million next year, and eats up about half the available cap space for next year.    That's a risky proposition for someone who was often injured.

I think they tag him and try to trade him, drafting his replacement in round one.  

Chase forces teams to double team him.   He is the one to pay.

The tag and trade scenario is talked about a lot, but that doesnt happen very often.  I dont think we have ever done that and we are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to making any trades.

We likely tag and play Tee then he walks.

Reply/Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-burrow-says-he-expects-tee-higgins-back-talks-his-contract-s-impact/ar-AA1mDSfA?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=0753194cf5c24224a2265137ac743af1&ei=12

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow didn't hold back on Monday when asked about Tee Higgins.

With the star wide receiver facing free agency this offseason, Burrow made it clear -- he expects Higgins back on the team next year and went as far as saying that's the overall sentiment in the locker room, too.

"I expect Tee to be back," Burrow said. "We all expect Tee to be back. That's the sentiment we all have in the locker room."

Burrow went as far as suggesting that when he did his extension with the Bengals, things were built in to help along processes such as keeping Higgins in town.

What those things are as of this writing isn't fully clear, especially with the team likely wanting to work on Ja'Marr Chase's extension as soon as he's eligible for one this offseason.
Barring a new deal for Higgins this offseason though, the Bengals could use a tag to keep him under contract for an additional season while giving all parties another year to work on a long-term deal.

Given how the Bengals have modernized in recent years, it wouldn't be a surprise to see them later use things like contract restructures for Burrow to free up more space for the likes of Higgins.

Either way, Burrow has now applied some public pressure when it comes to Higgins.

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1744390791357739117

This article originally appeared on Bengals Wire: Joe Burrow says he expects Tee Higgins back, talks his contract's impact
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The tag and trade scenario is talked about a lot, but that doesnt happen very often.  I dont think we have ever done that and we are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to making any trades.

We likely tag and play Tee then he walks.

Yeah, tag and trade mostly happens with defensive players. The last offensive player was what, Jarvis Landry?
Reply/Quote
The conversation last Summer:

Burrow - I want my top receiving options apart of the future plans.

FO - We want to re-sign Tee and Chase but will need cap space and flexibility to do so. It'll take some sacrifices.

Burrow - Signs NFL record contract....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, tag and trade mostly happens with defensive players. The last offensive player was what, Jarvis Landry?

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders-wr-signing-5-year-141-25m-deal

Davante Adams was tagged and traded for a 1st and 2nd rd pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:21 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: The bad thing about tagging Tee is that it guarantees him 20+million next year, and eats up about half the available cap space for next year.    That's a risky proposition for someone who was often injured.

Chase forces teams to double team him.   He is the one to pay.

Tagging Higgins simply to keep him for another year makes zero sense.  It's a good FA WR crop, as well as a strong draft class.  All tagging him does is punt finding a replacement til '25 when the talent likely won't be as good.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: The conversation last Summer:

Burrow - I want my top receiving options apart of the future plans.

FO - We want to re-sign Tee and Chase but will need cap space and flexibility to do so. It'll take some sacrifices.

Burrow - Signs NFL record contract....

lol. Yupppp

But I “get it”….mostly.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:50 PM)J24 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders-wr-signing-5-year-141-25m-deal

Davante Adams was tagged and traded for a 1st and 2nd rd pick.

Derp! Thanks...I forgot all about that one, but that was also a case where Adams said publicly he wouldn't play under the tag.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We likely tag and play Tee then he walks.

I think this is the likely outcome. I'm super okay with it if we win a Super Bowl before he walks. I don't want to see this year's 1st be used on a WR to replace Tee. I'd rather Duke focus on making other positions better.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tagging Higgins simply to keep him for another year makes zero sense.  It's a good FA WR crop, as well as a strong draft class.  All tagging him does is punt finding a replacement til '25 when the talent likely won't be as good.  

I believe the Bengals value Tee as much or more than any other team.  They do this with most of their players and is most likely why we are never active with trades.

That said, they could still draft a WR in the first few rounds this draft.  We tagged Bates and drafted Dax the same year.

Reply/Quote
Burrow is just an all around good guy. He will say the right things. Hope the team around him improves.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
They could still draft a WR in the first few rounds this draft.  We tagged Bates and drafted Dax the same year.
[/quote]

I assume it’s too late for a refund on this transaction? Sad
Reply/Quote
I trust Burrow more than anyone but any talk of how plans for other players impacted his own negs seems like BS, at least until someone can prove otherwise. I mean he signed a massive deal with massive guarantees. Certainly didn't take a discount. We'll see what happens from here but my expectations for how his extension accommodates future signings (like Tee) are low.

*And I don't blame it for it either. I don't expect any players to take discounts- Burrow, Tee or anyone else. This is a business first and foremost. It sucks for fans but that's just the reality of it
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 04:09 PM)Whacked Wrote: They could still draft a WR in the first few rounds this draft.  We tagged Bates and drafted Dax the same year.

I assume it’s too late for a refund on this transaction? Sad
[/quote]

Agree though if Williams and not resigned and with Readers contract up, i don't see them using 1st and 2nd round pick on a WR... im thinking if they tag him, they hope Jones and Iosivas show enough improvement that they might be able to hold off till 2/3 round in 2025 draft for a WR.
Reply/Quote
Doug, Joe, Zac, and Tee himself all want him to remain a Bengal. It’ll be up to Tee. His agent likely doesn’t share the thoughts on the price tag. Tee will decide if he wants to stay. Nobody else. I would guess it’s 60/40 he’s with the Bengals in 2025. I bet he’s tagged for this coming year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
tag and trade takes some cooperation from the new team before it happens. They are not going to trade for a tagged player unless they are 100% confident they can also sign that player to an extension.

It is a bad front office that tags a player expecting to conclude a trade for them. There are very unique circumstances that precede them

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote