Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow's Hand Size Is His DOOM.......
(02-25-2020, 02:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: JsgXygnCG0MVA4PdT_3Sw2bfR_AeRyJwwurDaLPa...279b1e20f8]

ROTFL @ Uncle Jack ... Need to get JB some giant hands!
Reply/Quote
Just curious, how does the nfl measure hand size? Just spread your hand out and measure from the tip of the thumb to the tip of your pinky?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:30 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Just curious, how does the nfl measure hand size? Just spread your hand out and measure from the tip of the thumb to the tip of your pinky?

I believe so.

Do they measure both hands? My right hand is 10 inches but my left hand is only 9 7/8 after I broke it. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:46 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I believe so.

Do they measure both hands? My right hand is 10 inches but my left hand is only 9 7/8 after I broke it. 

I read an article yesterday that stated Tua measured two different hand sizes.  10 inch left hand (his throwing hand) and 9 7/8 right hand.  So it appears they measure both. 

Also for those interested here is an interesting article I ran across where they were talking about Kyler Murray last year and hand size.  They did some statistics and according to their research, albeit limited, there was "no statistical relationship" between some NFL QBs hand size and number of fumbles.  There was a slightly larger but insignificant correlation between hand size and cold weather performance. They used QBs that had entered the draft in the last 5 years (article is from 2019) and had started multiple games. Again it is a very limited sample size and not very sound research IMO but I found it somewhat interesting.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/nfl-combine-kyler-murray-hand-size-doesnt-matter

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:55 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I read an article yesterday that stated Tua measured two different hand sizes.  10 inch left hand (his throwing hand) and 9 7/8 right hand.  So it appears they measure both. 

Also for those interested here is an interesting article I ran across where they were talking about Kyler Murray last year and hand size.  They did some statistics and according to their research, albeit limited, there was "no statistical relationship" between some NFL QBs hand size and number of fumbles.  There was a slightly larger but insignificant correlation between hand size and cold weather performance.  They used QBs that had entered the draft in the last 5 years (article is from 2019) and had started multiple games.  Again it is a very limited sample size and not very sound research IMO but I found it somewhat interesting.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/nfl-combine-kyler-murray-hand-size-doesnt-matter

Here's another surprisingly well wrote article by ESPN that talks about how dumb the hand size thing is. Also how dumb the measurement is given the pinky is considered to be the most useless part of the hand for throwing a football.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/28770715/why-nfl-combine-built-myth-qb-hand-size-measurement-mean-anything

Here's just one quote from the article that should put this to bed:

The data resoundingly confirms that there is no actual correlation between hand size, fumbles and passing efficiency. Since 2014, there have been several studies that analyzed data from hundreds of NFL quarterbacks and each one concluded the same thing: The hand-size myth is laughable. As USA Today put it: "Hand size has nothing to do with a quarterback's ability to hold on to the football [even in cold weather]. ... Just to drive that point home, the correlation coefficient between the number of letters in the quarterback's name and their fumble rate is six times stronger than hand size."
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:32 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: Here's another surprisingly well wrote article by ESPN that talks about how dumb the hand size thing is. Also how dumb the measurement is given the pinky is considered to be the most useless part of the hand for throwing a football.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/28770715/why-nfl-combine-built-myth-qb-hand-size-measurement-mean-anything

Here's just one quote from the article that should put this to bed:

The data resoundingly confirms that there is no actual correlation between hand size, fumbles and passing efficiency. Since 2014, there have been several studies that analyzed data from hundreds of NFL quarterbacks and each one concluded the same thing: The hand-size myth is laughable. As USA Today put it: "Hand size has nothing to do with a quarterback's ability to hold on to the football [even in cold weather]. ... Just to drive that point home, the correlation coefficient between the number of letters in the quarterback's name and their fumble rate is six times stronger than hand size."

You beat me to the ESPN article.

No meaningful correlation of any kind between hand size and success.  Period.

It is completely made up on false logic and perpetrated by media lemmings.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Just to drive that point home, the correlation coefficient between the number of letters in the quarterback's name and their fumble rate is six times stronger than hand size."

Does this mean Ryan Fitzpatrick is the goat?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:32 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: The data resoundingly confirms that there is no actual correlation between hand size, fumbles and passing efficiency. Since 2014, there have been several studies that analyzed data from hundreds of NFL quarterbacks and each one concluded the same thing: The hand-size myth is laughable.

Thanks for posting a more recent article on the topic.  I was always on the side of hand size not being a huge issue.  I was only critical of the USA Today article I posted due to the very small and limited sample size they seemed to use.  More studies including a much larger sample size of hundreds of QBs since 2014 gives it more validity and indeed should put the argument to rest.

Edit: I just noticed I made 1000 posts with this comment. It took me about 2 1/2 years. Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow meeting with Zac Taylor tomorrow:

[Image: PositiveTightEyra-size_restricted.gif]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 09:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I think Joe is being sarcastic...

lol of course he is...

Not the question.... When properly inflated how much bigger is the NFL Football to the College Football?  is there a difference?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:30 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Just curious, how does the nfl measure hand size? Just spread your hand out and measure from the tip of the thumb to the tip of your pinky?

Remember Hand Size matters.. .J simpson had frying pan sized hands....
Reply/Quote
A good read on why it doesn't matter.

Reply/Quote
I just need to convince you and 23 other teams to pass on him! Seriously, how great would Burreaux be with Sean Payton calling the plays?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 04:38 AM)Benton Wrote: Yeah but he was throwing a college size ball.

Mellow

You guys on here are just so funny.I love it,I say to all of you,get ready to raid the bengals jerseys with Joe Burrow on it and I hope he gets to wear his college number 9. I am buying the first jersey At the Paul Brown stadium. Now LETS GO. :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp  PATRICK QUEEN,LINEBACKER AT NUMBER 33
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 03:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol of course he is...

Not the question.... When properly inflated how much bigger is the NFL Football to the College Football?  is there a difference?

Not much.

(02-25-2020, 05:32 PM)Daotherbengaltigers Wrote: I just need to convince you and 23 other teams to pass on him! Seriously, how great would Burreaux be with Sean Payton calling the plays?

Much better than with us I am sure, still think he will be just fine here but we definitely need someone closer to Payton calling plays.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 03:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol of course he is...

My questions is... Why is there a difference in the first place?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 02:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Goff didn't have two 4500+ yard seasons in a row and recently take his team to the Super Bowl I would have more concern.

I'm not worried about Burrow's hands, but Goff might not be the best way to try to prove it a non-issue. He averages 10.4 fumbles per 16 starts. I have to wonder what those numbers would look like if he played in an outdoor bad weather division like the AFCN.

(If you were wondering, Dalton clocked in at 5.1 fumbles per 16 starts. Mostly inflated by notable bumps in 2016 when Ogbuehi was a starter, and last year. He averaged 3.7 fumbles per 16 starts in his other 7 years.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm not worried about Burrow's hands, but Goff might not be the best way to try to prove it a non-issue. He averages 10.4 fumbles per 16 starts. I have to wonder what those numbers would look like if he played in an outdoor bad weather division like the AFCN.

(If you were wondering, Dalton clocked in at 5.1 fumbles per 16 starts. Mostly inflated by notable bumps in 2016 when Ogbuehi was a starter, and last year. He averaged 3.7 fumbles per 16 starts in his other 7 years.)

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/23/12572166/los-angeles-rams-qb-jared-goff-scouting-report-fumbles-hand-size-pocket-presence

Key line:

Quote:Part of the problem for Goff is how slight he is. It’s clear that there is room left to be filled out in Goff’s frame. Given his weight, Goff naturally does not absorb hits as well as others, and it can lead to him being severely jolted upon impact.

Not only is Burrow more-than, "slight," in comparison to Goff, but how many times have we seen him pop back up from hits?

He's not Goff at all.

They talk about hand size in the next line, but only in relation to the fact that Goff is slight and can't take hits.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/23/12572166/los-angeles-rams-qb-jared-goff-scouting-report-fumbles-hand-size-pocket-presence

Key line:

Not only is Burrow more-than, "slight," in comparison to Goff, but how many times have we seen him pop back up from hits?

He's not Goff at all.

They talk about hand size in the next line, but only in relation to the fact that Goff is slight and can't take hits.

Never said he was Goff. Just said that Goff indeed does have a fumbling problem.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 07:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Never said he was Goff. Just said that Goff indeed does have a fumbling problem.

Never said you did; was adding further beef to what you said.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote