Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Burrow's interception issue over his career
Some fans did not like it in 2020 when I kept reminding them that Burrow's passer rating was 24th in the league.  But at the same time I always pointed out that as a rookie behind a terrible O-line Burrrow had the second lowest int percentage in the league (1.2%).  That is a ridiculous number for rookie.  It is also a ridiculous number for a QB with no running game who knows he has to carry the offense.

So I did not really panic when Burrow came out throwing all those picks last year.  I knew that if he could not read defenses he would never have had a 1.2% interception percentage as a rookie.

But a big reason that after 14 weeks we were just 7-6 and struggling to stay in the playoff race was that Joe was leading the league in interceptions (14).  But once he relaxed and stopped trying to force too many high risk passes we caught fire.  Here is an interesting breakdown of Joe's career.

First 11 games..........  5 ints
Next 11 games.......... 14 ints
Last 8 games.............  2 ints

I don't think we have anything to worry about Burrow coming out throwing a bunch of picks.
Reply/Quote
It’s almost like there was something else going on besides merely trying to force the ball too much…

An injury like Burrow’s can often take up to a year to get back to 100% from. If you look at when he started playing his best football (right after the bye) that timeline matches up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
After the bye week Burrow said he finally felt like his old self again.You could clearly see a difference in his play,and the way he moved in the pocket.Burrow plays aggressive for the most part.It’s just part of his super competitive nature and he’ll always be that way.Interesting stats Fred.Keep up the good work.
Reply/Quote
I have to ask, do you have some must start xx threads/day quota?

This has already been posted several times before. So not sure the point on posting it again.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 02:41 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I have to ask, do you have some must start xx threads/day quota?

This has already been posted several times before. So not sure the point on posting it again.

Is there something wrong with conversation starters at a time the board tends to be at its quietest? Fred looks at the game statistically and posts what he finds interesting. So do others considering his topics often lead to multi page discussions.

As someone who is also know to start a lot of threads, I will just say, that I will, Fred and anyone else can start as many as we damn well want to. If people find them interesting or informative they can and do comment. If they don’t they move on like you should if you don’t like Fred’s posts. If you have an issue, take it up with Bengalholic.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Joe went through a phase there where he felt he had to do everything and it showed up trying to force the ball. He's past that now.
Reply/Quote
This has already been talked about a lot...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 09:19 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This post was already made in a different thread: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Games-against-losing-teams-last-year?page=2

Post #36. Spam?

Many times Fred will post a thought and feels it deserves its own discussion, so he starts a thread (usually he denotes this) and that's what this appears to be.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 09:19 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This post was already made in a different thread: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Games-against-losing-teams-last-year?page=2

Post #36. Spam?
Nope.
(05-17-2022, 09:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Many times Fred will post a thought and feels it deserves its own discussion, so he starts a thread (usually he denotes this) and that's what this appears to be.

Yep.

Fred does this often.  I have done it myself.  Have a thought that might need separate further discussion.  If people want to discuss it further, great!  If not then the thread dies.

It's certainly better than the jokers that post useless random crap for every little thing that is on their mind, usually starting a new thread with multi-paragraphs of nothing OR starting a "new" topic over and over on the same subject because everyone keep disagreeing with them.  Fred doesn't always hit the mark, but the last thing he does is post for attention.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 09:38 AM)Stewy Wrote: but the last thing he does is post for attention.

Ok, now yall taking the Fred lovefest a little too far....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
My gosh, multiple threads talking about the same subject, whatever will we do. Seriously folks, how many threads have there been talking about the OL woes? Zac's coaching? Chase vs Sewell? It is the nature of a message board. One person thinks a topic is a fresh topic another may think it is repetitive. Heck, how many threads start with one subject and soon turn into another (like this one) again it is the nature of a message board.

If you think a new thread is a repeat of a recent one, sent the admins a message and let them decide if the topics should be merged or moved. They do an overall really good job keeping these boards clean and navigatable

Reply/Quote
You're going to have some redundancy or overlap of ideas and discussions. Personally, I welcome the football discussion regardless, and Fred typically makes interesting observations which contributes to the board. As for the topic, I agree and think JB's "on the job training" in a difficult situation was a positive to his transition. I know I'm not alone in my excitement of seeing him perform behind a better offensive line, and actually that extends to the entire offense extending to Zac/Callahan and Mixon / Evans too.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 06:27 AM)pally Wrote: Is there something wrong with conversation starters at a time the board tends to be at its quietest? Fred looks at the game statistically and posts what he finds interesting.  So do others considering his topics often lead to multi page discussions.

As someone who is also know to start a lot of threads, I will just say, that I will, Fred and anyone else can start as many as we damn well want to.  If people find them interesting or informative they can and do comment.  If they don’t they move on like you should if you don’t like Fred’s posts.  If you have an issue, take it up with Bengalholic.

Sorry, He cherry picks what stats he wants to, when you come back at him with what he's glossed over, instead of accepting, he gets super defensive and goes to extremes beating his dead horse by changing what he said, and or trying to change/alter what someone else said.

I find it to be tiresome and really, there's been some posts of his where i question if he should even be allowed to post in JN.
Reply/Quote
You can actually see Burrow's improvement as the season goes on by looking at this chart I made, which is plotting his EPA per attempt ranking in the league. His early season is volatile, very spiky. It then starts flattening out around week 11. In this chart, high is bad and low is good...

[Image: l9tMrJ5.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 10:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry, He cherry picks what stats he wants to, when you come back at him with what he's glossed over, instead of accepting, he gets super defensive and goes to extremes beating his dead horse by changing what he said, and or trying to change/alter what someone else said.

I find it to be tiresome and really, there's been some posts of his where i question if he should even be allowed to post in JN.

Almost everyone is going to cherry-pick the stats that prove their points. It is not unique to Fred.  But, if you respond to anyone on the this or any other forum, with the mindset that you are going to convert someone to your way of thinking you will almost always end the discussion Bang Head
Make your point, and let the general audience decide whose point is more salient.  Fighting to be right just ends up as a fight

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 09:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This has already been talked about a lot...

It is OK to read a title or OP and move on without comment.

If members did not post threads thus site would end quickly.

We all have different interests and hopefully we are adding new members so they have not read anything yet,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 10:11 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You can actually see Burrow's improvement as the season goes on by looking at this chart I made, which is plotting his EPA per attempt ranking in the league. His early season is volatile, very spiky. It then starts flattening out around week 11. In this chart, high is bad and low is good...

[Image: l9tMrJ5.png]

Is this his rank per individual week or tracking his "cumulative total" ranking from week to week?

Do you understand what I am trying to ask? Not sure I am making myself clear.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Is this his rank per individual week or tracking his "cumulative total" ranking from week to week?

Do you understand what I am trying to ask? Not sure I am making myself clear.

Yep, I got you. It is his cumulative total, tracking week to week. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 10:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry, He cherry picks what stats he wants to, when you come back at him with what he's glossed over, instead of accepting, he gets super defensive and goes to extremes beating his dead horse by changing what he said, and or trying to change/alter what someone else said.

Keep in mind that you also have the choice to not read or respond to posts that you don't find in favor with your particular opinion.  Jungle Noise is a place for all Bengal fans to express their opinions on topics Bengals related.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 10:17 AM)pally Wrote: Almost everyone is going to cherry-pick the stats that prove their points. It is not unique to Fred.  But, if you respond to anyone on the this or any other forum, with the mindset that you are going to convert someone to your way of thinking you will almost always end the discussion Bang Head
Make your point, and let the general audience decide whose point is more salient.  Fighting to be right just ends up as a fight

I'm not trying to convince anyone, nor do i seek anyone else's approval.

You are right on that last part. Seen pages of threads going back and forth with certain people trying so hard to be right by disputing the many variables that are part of the game by being one-track minded.

Back to the topic at hand.
Game 8 Carman was finally benched, Game 9, Hopkins also started to improve.
While the OL was still not good, it was at least better, and this also coincides with JB's improvement as well.

The question going forward, is just how much better can JB get with an even better OL??
Reply/Quote