Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow says Thad Moss will be a big part of the team
(08-30-2021, 10:55 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He's looked good in the passing game. I haven't really watched him blocking.

Take this with a grain of salt because it was just one commentators opinion, but I was watching an LSU game in their NC season and they were saying Moss was one of the best, if not the best blocking TE's in the NCAA that year. In fact they considered it a bigger strength than his receiving skills. Will is translate to the pros? Who knows but I distinctly remember hearing an analyst saying that about him. So I guess at least the potential is there. 
Reply/Quote
Full Burrow quotes:

Burrow also added (H/T Sports Illustrated):

“We were talking about it on the sideline. There are certain plays where we asked Kyle (Shurmur), ‘Hey, why’d you go here?’ And he’s like, ‘I just know where Thaddeus is gonna be. I know exactly what Thaddeus is gonna do and I know he’s going to be open,'” Burrow said. “Thaddeus is a guy that works really, really hard, gets better every single day, is always asking questions about the offense. He’s studying the script, and then he sits next to Brandon (Allen) in the locker room, and he’ll either ask me or Brandon, ‘Hey, on this route or in this coverage, what do you you want me to do?’ And you tell him and he does it. He’s not a guy that you have to tell over and over and over again. And those guys are really valuable. I think he’s gonna be a big part of this team that I’m excited to have.”

I like Moss a lot, I’m huge LSU fan so may be a little bias but think he came in a little underrated. A lot is made of fact he was undrafted but I think the injury concerns had a lot to do with that and without that he Could have been a round 3 or round 4 guy. His blocking was considered a strength at LSU and if that translates he actually has potential to be the most well rounded out of himself, sample and uzomah. Also good for the team salary cap wise.

Do not think he will ever be an Elite TE but think he could be very serviceable in our system.
Reply/Quote
And on page 2 we find out this whole thread is basically because Charlie Goldsmith (whoever that is) can't translate or quote properly. Big difference between saying "He's going to be a big part of this team" and "I think he's going to be a big part of this team."
Reply/Quote
After seeing Chase drop a simple screen pass, Burrow is reminding himself that Moss didn't drop a single pass in 2019. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:48 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I liked the Moss pickup.  I think he was worth the chance.  That said, if he's a big part of our team in 2021 that doesn't necessarily speak very well for our Tight End room right now.

If you pick up a guy who went undrafted, who was then waived from his first team after only season, and he immediately finds a role with your team, when you have a 6 million dollar 7th year vet, and a former 2nd round, 3rd year vet, that's not the best of looks.

I hope Moss does great.  If he find a role then that's awesome.  But if that happens, what an embarrassing chain of events for the Bengals.  You hold onto to a guy like Uzomah who's a cap casualty on most teams, and then you have Drew Sample who would further cement himself as a turd sandwhich if Moss puts up numbers.

Bascially what I am saying is this... If Moss carves out the role that is awesome for him and his fans.  It's not so good for Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor.  If he's used a bunch then this speaks to some serious issues in player evaluations and roster construction.

Yeah, right. Finding an undrafted player who can contribute is always a sign of a poor front office.

I believe the Steelers fired their GM when undrafted free agent James Harrison made their roster, didn't they?

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Schreck played 151 snaps on special teams last year.

Moss was targeted 9 times against the Dolphins and only had 5 catches for 44 yards. He put up numbers simply because he was on the field. None of his catches were anything impressive. When Sample did the same thing last year a lot of fans were shitting all over him.

I don't see either Moss or Sample challenging Uzomah for #1 TE. I don't care if Moss beats out Sample for #2, but I still have not seen anything really impressive from him.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Schreck played 151 snaps on special teams last year.

Moss was targeted 9 times against the Dolphins and only had 5 catches for 44 yards.  He put up numbers simply because he was on the field.  None of his catches were anything impressive.  When Sample did the same thing last year a lot of fans were shitting all over him.

I don't see either Moss or Sample challenging Uzomah for #1 TE.  I don't care if Moss beats out Sample for #2, but I still have not seen anything really impressive from him.

I think the hate for Sample is that he was a second round pick.  If we had gotten Sample or someone of his caliber in the 4th or 5th, I think most people would be okay with him.  Moss doesn't seem to far behind him (or potentially equal to Sample) without any real investment.  I think he has enough ceiling to be worth a TE3 spot on the roster.

Schreck is a decent TE3 option, but I don't ever see him improving to a TE2.

I'm not a huge LSU fan, and I don't get caught up in names too much, but I'd like to get a few looks and seeing if he's worth a TE2 spot next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Schreck played 151 snaps on special teams last year.

Actually I should be pointing out that Cethan Carter played 308 special teams snaps for us last year.

Have to find another TE or LB who can fill that role.

And if you don't think that is an important role just look at the contract Carter got from the Fins, 3 years $7.8 million.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:37 AM)Big Boss Wrote: We're talking about a third string TE.  This is much ado about nothing.

Don't sell Moss short.
He could leap Sample on the depth chart next year, and could even potentially be the starter once Uzomah leaves.
That might say more about the lack of talent at TE this team has though, but still.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 12:09 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I think the hate for Sample is that he was a second round pick.  If we had gotten Sample or someone of his caliber in the 4th or 5th, I think most people would be okay with him.  Moss doesn't seem to far behind him (or potentially equal to Sample) without any real investment.  I think he has enough ceiling to be worth a TE3 spot on the roster.

I'm not a huge LSU fan, and I don't get caught up in names too much, but I'd like to get a few looks and seeing if he's worth a TE2 spot next year.

Exactly this.
I like Sample for what he is, but a blocking TE should not be taken until Day 3 of the draft. Just my opinion.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Current convo going on in the cut thread got me thinking.

If Burrow still has his "guys" then I want no part of him.

I hope he considers Mitchell Wilcox as much as one of his guys as he does Thad Moss

I hope he appreciates that Tee Higgins is currently the best WR on this team

My biggest complaint about CP9 was he never let college go; I hope Burrow is not following that path

I will say, as much grief as I gave Andy, that dude was Cincy first
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 12:09 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I think the hate for Sample is that he was a second round pick.  If we had gotten Sample or someone of his caliber in the 4th or 5th, I think most people would be okay with him.  Moss doesn't seem to far behind him (or potentially equal to Sample) without any real investment.  I think he has enough ceiling to be worth a TE3 spot on the roster.

Yes, Sample should of been taken in the 4th round where I had him in a few of my mocks.

That is where the hate comes from. Flip around the picks, just say, taking Pratt in the 2nd, Sample in the 3rd and it looks better.

Sample has good hands and is a very good blocker, good dump down TE. My only problem with him is he is a plodder.

Needs to lose some weight and get crisper on his routes. Uzo is clearly our best TE, think he will have a good year.

Wilcox could surprise and push Sample to TE3 though, I like what I saw of him last game.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Current convo going on in the cut thread got me thinking.

If Burrow still has his "guys" then I want no part of him.

I hope he considers Mitchell Wilcox as much as one of his guys as he does Thad Moss

I hope he appreciates that Tee Higgins is currently the best WR on this team

My biggest complaint about CP9 was he never let college go; I hope Burrow is not following that path

I will say, as much grief as I gave Andy, that dude was Cincy first

Talk about much ado over nothing…

“We were talking about it on the sideline. There are certain plays where we asked Kyle (Shurmur), ‘Hey, why’d you go here?’ And he’s like, ‘I just know where Thaddeus is gonna be. I know exactly what Thaddeus is gonna do and I know he’s going to be open,'” Burrow said. “Thaddeus is a guy that works really, really hard, gets better every single day, is always asking questions about the offense. He’s studying the script, and then he sits next to Brandon (Allen) in the locker room, and he’ll either ask me or Brandon, ‘Hey, on this route or in this coverage, what do you you want me to do?’ And you tell him and he does it. He’s not a guy that you have to tell over and over and over again. And those guys are really valuable. I think he’s gonna be a big part of this team that I’m excited to have.”

There’s no lobbying whatsoever going on there, and all he said was he thinks Moss is going to be a big part of the team (which was probably exaggerating). I’m sure he’d say complimentary things about Wilcox or whoever else if asked about them.

Reply/Quote
I mean, the kid talks up Zac Taylor…

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Talk about much ado over nothing…

There’s no lobbying whatsoever going on there, and all he said was he thinks Moss is going to be a big part of the team (which was probably exaggerating). I’m sure he’d say complimentary things about Wilcox or whoever else if asked about them.

We'll see. I do hope you're right and others are making more of Burrow's preferences. I'll see if I can find comments on Wilcox.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Talk about much ado over nothing…

Yep.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, the kid talks up Zac Taylor…

(08-31-2021, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We'll see. I do hope you're right and others are making more of Burrow's preferences. I'll see if I can find comments on Wilcox.

Maybe not Wilcox (as I doubt he’s ever been asked about him), but I think my point above proves Joe’s just going to stick up for anyone and everyone in this organization.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We'll see. I do hope you're right and others are making more of Burrow's preferences. I'll see if I can find comments on Wilcox.

Burrow was asked about Moss and gave a response. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Burrow was asked about Moss and gave a response. 

Yes, he had to say something nice about him. Just the way it goes.
Reply/Quote
And he was cut.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote