Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Burrow ternding in the right direction...
(09-25-2023, 01:10 PM)pally Wrote: I still would not be surprised to see Sinnett activated from the PS to act as the emergency QB

Wouldn't we need to cut somebody to do so? Who would it be?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:24 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I now believe that if he says he can play then play him.
They are 0-2 so sitting him = season over. If he re-injures it and has to miss multiple games it won’t matter because you get the same result (wait ‘til next year)
Only reason to sit him would be if this could cause a more serious injury. If not then play him for as long as you can.

Either way I’m not feeling like this is their year regardless of what happens tonight.

I feel the same way, but the god news is that I’m historically inaccurate about these things. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Are you kidding me, Clark? This only cements my feeling that we're winning the Super Bowl this year. You can't make up this kind of drama. If you have a movie start out the way we've started out, no way are people buying that same team wins the Super Bowl. Just relax, Joe's gonna continue to play, he'll probably have a setback (the mid-way point of the movie, naturally) and things will look even more dire (direr?), but then just like Bobby Boucher in the Bourbon bowl, Burrow will just dominate at the end culminating in him hoisting up the Lombardi.

WHO FRICKIN' DEY!

The NFL is scripted so......................... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Update from this morning:

[url= url]

Good news, figured he would be playing this game as long as he can walk, he will play. He ain't no wimp as some posters 
were alleging here this week, bastids. Whatever

Just wondering how well he plays, he played much better in the 2nd half against the Rats before tweaking the calf.

(09-25-2023, 12:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My question is this...

If he continues tweaking his calf every other week...does it set back the actual time it takes for him to get to 100%?

I know that may be a dumb question, but I don't know the answer to it and I feel like it's a pretty important question. If the calf takes the same amount of time to get to 100% tweaking or no tweaking, then I'd say continue to play him.

Good question. Mellow

(09-25-2023, 12:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: As far as I know, the recommendation for calf strains is RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate. Without extended rest, it is possible it may not get back to 100%. One of the bigger concerns is that a calf injury can maybe lead to a worse injury, such as a torn Achilles. I was discussing this with my physical therapist last week. The Bengals training staff is going to know all of this. If Burrow continues playing, this injury could linger all season. How big of a deal that is, we aren't sure. If he plays tonight, we will have a little more information to answer that question with. 

Sounds about right, thanks KillerGoose. If he plays tonight, I just hope he doesn't re-tweak it is all.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 01:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wouldn't we need to cut somebody to do so? Who would it be?

"During the NFL's spring meetings [2023], owners approved a rule change to allow a third quarterback to dress on game days, which won't count toward the team's active roster limit. That means teams may not have to burn an active roster spot on a third quarterback on gamedays, which may help alleviate some other roster construction problems for the league."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-emergency-qb-rule-3rd-quarterback-2023/pcbxurweiswxq4o1ns2ubbqh
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: "During the NFL's spring meetings [2023], owners approved a rule change to allow a third quarterback to dress on game days, which won't count toward the team's active roster limit. That means teams may not have to burn an active roster spot on a third quarterback on gamedays, which may help alleviate some other roster construction problems for the league."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-emergency-qb-rule-3rd-quarterback-2023/pcbxurweiswxq4o1ns2ubbqh

They dont' have to make him active on GameDays, but he still needs to be on the 53 man roster, though.

From the article you posted:
Quote:
  • Teams who are carrying two quarterbacks on their active roster on game day may carry a third, emergency quarterback (from the 53-man roster) who does not count against the team's game day roster;
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I feel like Burrow campaigning with coaching staff and trainers to play before he was ready is why we are in this situation in the first place, 0-2, him having played like dogshit, and then reinjuring himself.

Probably so.....and in all likelihood was what the golf cart ride with Mikey was about. I feel like it was a "we're protecting you from yourself" conversation. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Are you kidding me, Clark? This only cements my feeling that we're winning the Super Bowl this year. You can't make up this kind of drama. If you have a movie start out the way we've started out, no way are people buying that same team wins the Super Bowl. Just relax, Joe's gonna continue to play, he'll probably have a setback (the mid-way point of the movie, naturally) and things will look even more dire (direr?), but then just like Bobby Boucher in the Bourbon bowl, Burrow will just dominate at the end culminating in him hoisting up the Lombardi.

WHO FRICKIN' DEY!

Yes, go ahead and crown the Dolphins right now if you are already giving up on our season if we go 0-3...

It never goes down the way the season starts. We have been changing narratives and breaking old curses the last few years.

I find your scenario more likely than us just sucking the entire season and playing for the #1 overall pick.

(09-25-2023, 12:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 2020

And regardless of how mid Volson is, MJ was worse.

True, hope Volson starts to turn his game around tonight. He has been making me look bad so far this year as I predicted him to 
be the most improved player on Offense this season. So far, it has been Mixon who has improved the most which I found pretty 
dang unlikely being him being an experience vet and all. Give Mixon the ball more please.

Weird me saying this lol
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: They dont' have to make him active on GameDays, but he still needs to be on the 53 man roster, though.

From the article you posted:

But doesn't this rule mean the 53-man roster can be increased to 54 when they move a practice squad player for one week onto the active list?  Not saying I know the arcane rules of the NFL (just what I read here and there), but this seems to be saying that, which would mean a practice-squad QB could be moved to the active roster without having to cut anyone from the 53.

Active/inactive ("53-Man") list: The active/inactive list remains at 53 players for the regular season and playoffs. However, a team can increase its roster to 54 or 55 players only by using the standard elevation addendum (explained below) to bring one or two practice squad players to the active/inactive list.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of two regular-season or postseason games per player per season. If the team elevates a player for a third time and the team wishes to move him back to the practice squad, it has to waive or terminate his player contract. If a player is released or clears waivers (whichever is applicable) and he signs a practice squad contract with a new team, he is once again eligible to be elevated for the aforementioned maximum of two games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Probably so.....and in all likelihood was what the golf cart ride with Mikey was about. I feel like it was a "we're protecting you from yourself" conversation. 

It is also on the coaches not preparing for a banged up Burrow. Should of had the Playbook expanded and went to more of a run first
Offense with quick Slants, Screen passes and alike where Burrow just gets the ball out fast out of the pocket without having to run
himself. Mixon and the run game haven't been the problem this season which is wild why we haven't ran the ball more than we have.

Of course Burrow is going to want to play no matter what. I would be more concerned if he was happy to just rest up honestly.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is also on the coaches not preparing for a banged up Burrow. Should of had the Playbook expanded and went to more of a run first
Offense with quick Slants, Screen passes and alike where Burrow just gets the ball out fast out of the pocket without having to run
himself. Mixon and the run game haven't been the problem this season which is wild why we haven't ran the ball more than we have.

Of course Burrow is going to want to play no matter what. I would be more concerned if he was happy to just rest up honestly.

I agree with the part about Mixon and the run game, but go back and watch that Cleveland game if you can stomach it. There were SEVERAL open slants and routes across the middle that were open that Joe didn't even attempt for some reason or another. 

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with the part about Mixon and the run game, but go back and watch that Cleveland game if you can stomach it. There were SEVERAL open slants and routes across the middle that were open that Joe didn't even attempt for some reason or another. 

Zac will just run about 24 0-5 yard passes to protect him.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 12:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My question is this...

If he continues tweaking his calf every other week...does it set back the actual time it takes for him to get to 100%?

I know that may be a dumb question, but I don't know the answer to it and I feel like it's a pretty important question. If the calf takes the same amount of time to get to 100% tweaking or no tweaking, then I'd say continue to play him.

From what the doctors on some podcasts have shared, yes. But we'll never know if he's at 100% even if he sits 3 weeks. I think the bigger concern is that it could lead to an achilles injury. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: From what the doctors on some podcasts have shared, yes. But we'll never know if he's at 100% even if he sits 3 weeks. I think the bigger concern is that it could lead to an achilles injury. 

He likely wouldn't be. He rested a month during camp and still re-injured it.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with the part about Mixon and the run game, but go back and watch that Cleveland game if you can stomach it. There were SEVERAL open slants and routes across the middle that were open that Joe didn't even attempt for some reason or another. 

Not going to go back and watch that game as I cannot stomach it, but yeah, Burrow wasn't right mentally or physically in that game.

He missed about 3 possible TD passes and like you said several open Slants across the middle.

He will find his nitch here soon, hopefully it is tonight where we desperately need to get a win and get our Offense turned around.

Even with Burrow's injury we could be 2-0 if he played like his normal self passing the ball out of the pocket.

We started to see it in the 2nd half vs the Rats. We will see, it will be really telling tonight if he is on or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He likely wouldn't be. He rested a month during camp and still re-injured it.

Yea, we'll never know since I doubt he sits that long. Although he re-injured it, it doesn't seem like he's starting back all the way from square 1 run. If he was at 90% and is now back to 75% that's still better than the 0% when he initially hurt it. 

At least that's my understanding of how it works based on what the doctors have reported. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zac will just run about 24 0-5 yard passes to protect him.

That's funny, and true. Some coaches see those as an extension of the run game. Maybe Zac is one of those guys.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not going to go back and watch that game as I cannot stomach it, but yeah, Burrow wasn't right mentally or physically in that game.

He missed about 3 possible TD passes and like you said several open Slants across the middle.

He will find his nitch here soon, hopefully it is tonight where we desperately need to get a win and get our Offense turned around.

Even with Burrow's injury we could be 2-0 if he played like his normal self passing the ball out of the pocket.

We started to see it in the 2nd half vs the Rats. We will see, it will be really telling tonight if he is on or not.

Absolutely. Even with the int in the second half against Baltimore, it looked like it finally clicked for Joe. It's gotta be rough getting up to game speed after weeks of being pretty much idle. This offense is built around and for Joey B, if he's struggling, it's going to struggle. Still should've ran more before it got to the point we had to throw. That's definitely on on the staff.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 04:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely. Even with the int in the second half against Baltimore, it looked like it finally clicked for Joe. It's gotta be rough getting up to game speed after weeks of being pretty much idle. This offense is built around and for Joey B, if he's struggling, it's going to struggle. Still should've ran more before it got to the point we had to throw. That's definitely on on the staff.

Yes, one thing I think the Offensive coaching staff needs to do is make adjustments in case Burrow is struggling, that way it isn't so much 
on his shoulders and the Defense to get us wins. If we can rely on a decent running game and winning the TOP with short quick passes 
that allow Burrow to heal while winning games it would be ideal.

I know we have been down big in both our losses, but abandoning the run isn't the answer, just like being predictable and passing all the
time isn't the answer. A big run can end in a TD just the same as a passing play and this actually hasn't been a problem early this season 
unlike last year when Mixon's vision was poor and the OL was entirely new but Jonah. This is a positive we need to take advantage of IMO.
Reply/Quote