Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow took Bates to UFC 276
(07-03-2022, 04:52 PM)J24 Wrote: When the Franchise player goes out of his way to mention Bates at his press conference  and talks about how much he wants the Franchise to sign him to a longterm deal. You damm right it means something significant. Burrow is calculated him showing up with Bates in Vegas is a message to the FO.

It means something significant if Burrow has told the FO that he's willing to take less money next year so they can up their offer to Bates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hate to agree cause I have always wanted Bates to stay but I think you are correct Sled. Nothing hinting at us giving Bates 
the monster contract that he wants here IMO. He clearly wants more than his play has warranted. He played great in the 
Playoffs but he was pretty bad all regular season when money was on his mind. I see no reason for this changing just cause
Burrow and Bates are buds. The inconsistency of Bates game along with our drafting Dax Hill and Tycen Anderson pretty 
much seals the deal that there will be no deal.

The only question is if Bates will play on the Tag. We still do not know this.

We almost certainly know this....There is no way Bates goes La'Veon Bell on the Bengals.  Sitting out with the HOPE that you get more in the long run vs. taking a $13 million dollar contract for ONE YEAR and having the chance to get back to the Super Bowl just seems too obvious.  His first contract, as a 2nd rounder, was just under $5 million over 4 years.  

If I am wrong, I have sorely misjudged Jessie.  
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2022, 04:52 PM)J24 Wrote: When the Franchise player goes out of his way to mention Bates at his press conference  and talks about how much he wants the Franchise to sign him to a longterm deal. You damm right it means something significant. Burrow is calculated him showing up with Bates in Vegas is a message to the FO.

I agree with all this except the trip to Vegas.  I think Burrow just wants to build relationships and watch UFC.  If Bates loves Joe so much, it would make it really hard to sit out this season rather than playing on the tag.  I see virtually no chance that he sits out.

I do agree that Joe's press conference was significant, though.  It is always a delicate line when talking contracts about a teammate.  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We almost certainly know this....There is no way Bates goes La'Veon Bell on the Bengals.  Sitting out with the HOPE that you get more in the long run vs. taking a $13 million dollar contract for ONE YEAR and having the chance to get back to the Super Bowl just seems too obvious.  His first contract, as a 2nd rounder, was just under $5 million over 4 years.  

He'll play, and he will play well. If he wants a long term deal with the kind of money he thinks he is worth, he has to prove he can sustain that level all year long. And he not only needs to prove it to the Bengals, but to the other 31 teams as well. 
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We almost certainly know this....There is no way Bates goes La'Veon Bell on the Bengals.  Sitting out with the HOPE that you get more in the long run vs. taking a $13 million dollar contract for ONE YEAR and having the chance to get back to the Super Bowl just seems too obvious.  His first contract, as a 2nd rounder, was just under $5 million over 4 years.  

Feel the same way. But I also didn't understand how him not getting a contract signed before last season weighed so heavily 
on his mind and affected his game so much. These guys are paid tons of money to play this game and that is what they need 
to ALWAYS concentrate on.

The money comes along with it and they are paid WAY more than the average person.

I hope Jessie plays on the Tag and plays great. He played great in the Playoffs so it is realistic.

It is also very realistic and pretty damn likely it is his last season with our Bengals. I am okay with it with the drafting of Dax.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same way. But I also didn't understand how him not getting a contract signed before last season weighed so heavily 
on his mind and affected his game so much. These guys are paid tons of money to play this game and that is what they need 
to ALWAYS concentrate on.

The money comes along with it and they are paid WAY more than the average person.

I hope Jessie plays on the Tag and plays great. He played great in the Playoffs so it is realistic.

It is also very realistic and pretty damn likely it is his last season with our Bengals. I am okay with it with the drafting of Dax.

Yeah, I hear ya on the concentration and the income relative to the average Americans, but they also need to make enough money in their relatively short careers to take care of them the rest of their lives.  Not many invest well.  They live a very lavish lifestyle (not all, but many) and with zero income other than a small NFL pension, funds run out quickly.  

Personally, I really want the ring this year while Bates is on the roster as I think of him as one of the guys that stuck it out during tough times and now has gotten to the top.  Always loved his play, his character, and his drive.  I don't begrudge him trying to earn every penny, but if you ask me if I was Bates and was offered a 4 year extension for somewhere around $56 million, I would have jumped at it regardless of what my agent said with guarantees, scale, etc.

He knows this team, the coaches, and the scheme.  He is a perfect fit.  The signing of Dax and Anderson doesn't prevent Bates from being part of the long term plans at all.  Lou loves 3 safety looks with versatile players.  Maybe Hill or Anderson take Bell's job in a few years?  Maybe they are excellent depth.  Maybe they can play CB?  You know the old saying, you can never have enough corners...well, it should say "secondary".  

Maybe Jesse is fearing a 2nd tag if he plays well....still, if that happens it will be around $16 million per and that would have given him $28 million over the past two years.  And he would still be prime for another bite of the apple at just 27 years of age. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I hear ya on the concentration and the income relative to the average Americans, but they also need to make enough money in their relatively short careers to take care of them the rest of their lives.  Not many invest well.  They live a very lavish lifestyle (not all, but many) and with zero income other than a small NFL pension, funds run out quickly.  

Personally, I really want the ring this year while Bates is on the roster as I think of him as one of the guys that stuck it out during tough times and now has gotten to the top.  Always loved his play, his character, and his drive.  I don't begrudge him trying to earn every penny, but if you ask me if I was Bates and was offered a 4 year extension for somewhere around $56 million, I would have jumped at it regardless of what my agent said with guarantees, scale, etc.

He knows this team, the coaches, and the scheme.  He is a perfect fit.  The signing of Dax and Anderson doesn't prevent Bates from being part of the long term plans at all.  Lou loves 3 safety looks with versatile players.  Maybe Hill or Anderson take Bell's job in a few years?  Maybe they are excellent depth.  Maybe they can play CB?  You know the old saying, you can never have enough corners...well, it should say "secondary".  

Maybe Jesse is fearing a 2nd tag if he plays well....still, if that happens it will be around $16 million per and that would have given him $28 million over the past two years.  And he would still be prime for another bite of the apple at just 27 years of age. 

This is where many of them screw up. They are making huge amounts of money early enough in life to invest in an education (which they should have already gotten btw) and set themselves up on the path to a career after football. 
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 12:23 AM)Tony Wrote: It was reported weeks ago Burrow was taking Bates on a trip to Vegas. These guy don't know what they are talking about..

Burrow did not take Bates.  They went together.  In fact it was more likely Bates idea.  He was the one who rounded up teammates to work out together last offseason, not Burrow.

And it has zero to do with contract negotiations or "sending a message" to the team.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow did not take Bates.  They went together.  In fact it was more likely Bates idea.  He was the one who rounded up teammates to work out together last offseason, not Burrow.

Burrow talked about going to this event weeks ago. He's a huge UFC fan and has went to other shows.
HORRORMOVIETALK.COM --- HORRORSOCIETY.COM --- NIGHTCHANNELS.COM
DUSTIN GOEBEL ARTWORK @ PINTEREST --- DARK ART @ MACABRE GALLERY

[Image: imageedit-5-9954707407.gif]
Support your favorite artists, independent filmmakers and movie review podcasters

Reply/Quote
If Bates agrees to sign before July 15th Burrow will be our defacto closer Kappa Collins now Bates Their was talk of Hendrickson last off season really wanting to play with Burrow
Reply/Quote
Supposedly JB has "small hands", but it looks like dude has freaky long pinkies
[Image: FWtee7BWIAEnURP?format=jpg&name=small]

..and a stupid hat
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I hear ya on the concentration and the income relative to the average Americans, but they also need to make enough money in their relatively short careers to take care of them the rest of their lives.  Not many invest well.  They live a very lavish lifestyle (not all, but many) and with zero income other than a small NFL pension, funds run out quickly.  

Spot on SHRacer. That is all I can say, great post. Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow did not take Bates.  They went together.  In fact it was more likely Bates idea.  He was the one who rounded up teammates to work out together last offseason, not Burrow.

And it has zero to do with contract negotiations or "sending a message" to the team.

And they were comped by UFC. If anyone "took" anyone, Joe Rogan picked up the tab....
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Supposedly JB has "small hands", but it looks like dude has freaky long pinkies

..and a stupid hat

White dude from Athens trying to throw up gang signs.... or is he an AC/DC fan, or a fan of the Longhorns??? What exactly are you doing, Joe? Bates pulling off his best Stevie impersonation.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 06:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: White dude from Athens trying to throw up gang signs.... or is he an AC/DC fan, or a fan of the Longhorns??? What exactly are you doing, Joe? Bates pulling off his best Stevie impersonation.... Hilarious

Someone told Bates the fight was in 3D so he brought his glasses

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Supposedly JB has "small hands", but it looks like dude has freaky long pinkies

..and a stupid hat

that's a shocker

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Feel like you guys are looking too much into this.

Just two teammates who like UFC hanging in Vegas for the weekend. Nothing more.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 11:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Feel like you guys are looking too much into this.

Just two teammates who like UFC hanging in Vegas for the weekend. Nothing more.

It actually is something more.  One more.  Three teammates.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 09:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: that's a shocker

No.  A "shocker" involves 3 fingers.

Joe is just throwing the "rock it/rock on" sign.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2022, 07:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It actually is something more.  One more.  Three teammates.  

Technically 2 teammates. 

EDIT: What is this little suggestions bubble that now appears in the bottom right when you're posting??

Reply/Quote