Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow would be fine with a decent offensive line
(09-29-2020, 08:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 4? I’d say we’re set at C and LT (hopefully). So more like 2-3. Unless you’re talking depth.

You know perspective is a funny thing. 

Trey Hopkins is playing on such a bad line that his level of play is alluded. Nate Livings who played at around the same level as Hopkins is still bashed to this day because he was the worst starter on a solid offensive line lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 11:08 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: The kid isn't a magician, but has the makings to be a damn good QB IF MB and co can get off their rears and get him some protection.  Him getting knocked down 10 times a game is going to prove a very costly mistake for Brown.  A much more costly mistake than going out and signing some adequate O linemen from the waiver wire.

Fine?  He was flat out amazing behind the worst offensive line performance I have ever witnessed.  Watch what he does next.  He will dodge a free rusher and take off.  He probably watched Lamar Jackson last night and thought "I can do that, and slide or take a glancing hit as I go down...lot's better than free shots in the pocket".  
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ross I think they let walk no doubt, but what they do with AJ will be interesting. We can’t possibly pay him #1 money when Boyd is clearly our best receiver at this point. If AJ is willing to give us a HUGE hometown discount to stay then maybe re-signing him would be worth it. Have to see how he looks the rest of the season. It’s been ugly so far.

Is anyone going to pay AJ big money now though?

On the first 3 games' evidence his pay is going to be down.

(09-29-2020, 02:40 AM)Tony Wrote: Not keeping whitworth really cost this team bad..

Although if we'd kept him we'd still be talking about having to draft a replacement.
Reply/Quote
We’d be 3-0 right now with a better offensive line. It’s such a obvious flaw, everyone from the outside is pointing it out, but yet it’s falling on deaf ears. Zac and Jim refuse to be wrong about the talent they’ve amassed on the roster already. I have a hard time believing that the front office is stonewalling us from getting someone from outside. They drafted Joe knowing that he’s and investment on the next decade of this franchise, why let him get broken his first year behind a poor line. This has to be Zac and Jim telling Katie and Troy that they can fix it with what we have already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:04 AM)Synric Wrote: You know perspective is a funny thing. 

Trey Hopkins is playing on such a bad line that his level of play is alluded. Nate Livings who played at around the same level as Hopkins is still bashed to this day because he was the worst starter on a solid offensive line lol.

I mean, KC won the Super Bowl last season with a Center that graded out around what Trey Hopkins usually does, so I think he’s certainly good enough. He’s not great, and we probably do overrate him a bit because everyone around him is so bad, but I don’t think C should be an immediate priority.

I’m also still pretty high on Jordan’s potential. Just fix the right side.

Reply/Quote

Eventually he will start connecting on some of the deep shots, and then things will be scary good.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:52 AM)Au165 Wrote:

Pretty good company. If Burrow ever gets enough time to start completing some throws down the field look out.

Reply/Quote
But what's his grade on throws over 20 yards? What company is he in there?

It's a very odd disconnect.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty good company. If Burrow ever gets enough time to start completing some throws down the field look out.

He has had some time but has just not connected there. Downfield accuracy is something that takes a lot of young guys some time to get right. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:53 AM)Big Boss Wrote: But what's his grade on throws over 20 yards?  What company is he in there?

It's a very odd disconnect.

It's not that odd considering the lack time a) he's had to practice with his receivers - the likes of Green, Higgins, Ross all missed time in camp; and b) the O-line gives receivers to get downfield and get open.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: He has had some time but has just not connected there. Downfield accuracy is something that takes a lot of young guys some time to get right. 

Some being the key word. He missed AJ for one, but other than that it seems timing, and having to rush the throws have been a factor.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some being the key word. He missed AJ for one, but other than that it seems timing, and having to rush the throws have been a factor.

Nah beyond the AJ one he has had a couple where ball placement wasn't great. There was a deep seam to Uzomah week one that was overthrown. I am in the camp that Ross could have laid out but the ball placement wasn't great. I believe he missed AJ on another one that was more contested but not placed great. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah beyond the AJ one he has had a couple where ball placement wasn't great. There was a deep seam to Uzomah week one that was overthrown. I am in the camp that Ross could have laid out but the ball placement wasn't great. I believe he missed AJ on another one that was more contested but not placed great. 

Speaking of Uzomah, it’s weird to me he has Joe’s longest TD pass so far. Wouldn’t have guessed that through the first few weeks.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Speaking of Uzomah, it’s weird to me he has Joe’s longest TD pass so far. Wouldn’t have guessed that through the first few weeks.

That play design was simply awesome. They also had a really good connection during camp which I think helped.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: He has had some time but has just not connected there. Downfield accuracy is something that takes a lot of young guys some time to get right. 

It would help if the Bengals could open up that third level by forcing defenses to play less cover 2 and cover 3 shells. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 11:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Maybe one FA on a 4 yr contract, it will take at least till 2023 season to transform the line., 

Nope.  It can easily be fixed next year.

Jonah-Jordan-Hopkins are good enough to win with.

I actually think XSF will help considerably once he gets back from his injury.

All we really need is another OT to replace Hart.  If we don't get Sewell in the draft, then I hope we sign a veteran.  I also think we need to draft another OG and sign another vet.  If we could stop missing on draft picks, then we could fix it next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I don't mind drafting Higgins seeing as so many of our o-line picks have been flat-out busts. 

but you going to need to draft lineman.. maybe we should have drafted a 2nd round tackle hindsight over Higgins since WR is less concern than line
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but you going to need to draft lineman.. maybe we should have drafted a 2nd round tackle hindsight over Higgins since WR is less concern than line

I can see that, but AJ and Ross looking like they're headed out the door makes me think getting Burrow a long-term and familiar target was a no-brainer.  Hell, Higgins has already had the Ross "make 'em eat crow" game and he's less than a month into his career.  I dig it.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 03:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can see that, but AJ and Ross looking like they're headed out the door makes me think getting Burrow a long-term and familiar target was a no-brainer.  Hell, Higgins has already had the Ross "make 'em eat crow" game and he's less than a month into his career.  I dig it.

No easy fix when you are bad in multiple areas... but looking how bad our line has played, I would probably redraft for a lineman over Higgins
Reply/Quote
"Burrow would be fine with a decent offensive line" Why does the title of this thread remind me of the old Orson Welles commercial "We'll sell no wine before its time!" BTW...Burrow doesn't look too bad with the current pitiful line, but he would be unstoppable with a decent to good line.
Reply/Quote