Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a new grill
I’ll be buying a new charcoal grill this weekend. My Weber kettle is starting to fall apart. I am considering something different, but as you may know, I already have a smoker, so don’t need to go there. Do any of you have a different CHARCOAL (?) grill that you really like? Maybe something with adjustable grates or other features. Thanks.
Reply/Quote
If it's not broken, don't fix it. My Dad has been using Weber kettle grills for as long as I can remember. When his gets rusted or worn, he just goes and gets another one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 04:10 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: I’ll be buying a new charcoal grill this weekend. My Weber kettle is starting to fall apart. I am considering something different, but as you may know, I already have a smoker, so don’t need to go there. Do any of you have a different CHARCOAL (?) grill that you really like? Maybe something with adjustable grates or other features. Thanks.

My brother has the Weber Kettle, I just got a Char-broil Kettleman. Both are fine grills, but I would stick to the Weber, because there are a lot more accessories for it. I got a great deal on the Kettleman or I would have went with the Weber myself.
Reply/Quote
You can't go wrong with a Big Green Egg.

I myself do not have one, but a friend does and it truly is amazing.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty redneck. And pretty cheap.

I've got a canister smoker and a pellet grill. When things warmed up the other day, I got a craving for a charcoal burger. But I don't need one more ting on my patio. So... I cleaned out the drip bowl good and used the bottom grate on my smoker as the charcoal holder and cooked the burgers on the top rack. It was about two inches higher than where a normal charcoal grill would be, so I had to guess on my cook times, but, hell, turned out grate. I've done it twice now.
Reply/Quote
I would take a BGE in a cabinet. My Weber Genesis fell over in the winter (60 mph winds) and it crushed every little thing you can think of. I have to replace every damn knob/etc. exterior part, at this point I wish I went with a built in grill.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 08:59 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You can't go wrong with a Big Green Egg.

I myself do not have one, but a friend does and it truly is amazing.

The only thing I don't like about them is the big green it costs to buy one.

I am sure they are worth it to someone who uses one all the time, but I don't do that much grilling.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 12:24 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm pretty redneck. And pretty cheap.

I've got a canister smoker and a pellet grill. When things warmed up the other day, I got a craving for a charcoal burger. But I don't need one more ting on my patio. So... I cleaned out the drip bowl good and used the bottom grate on my smoker as the charcoal holder and cooked the burgers on the top rack. It was about two inches higher than where a normal charcoal grill would be, so I had to guess on my cook times, but, hell, turned out grate. I've done it twice now.

Couple months ago I was craving a good steak. So I remember seeing on youtube someone grilling a steak using just a charcoal chimney. Basically put some coals in the chimney, get them white hot, place grate on top, and grill away. Ended up just as good!

Found a pic of basically what I did. So really, if someone craves charcoal or wood cooked food and only feeding self, you dont even need to buy a grill, just buy a chimney starter for less than $20. (move over a gas grill grate or buy a cheap grate too)

[Image: sirlon_on_chimney-e1462153794924.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote