Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bye Bye Jonah...
(01-22-2023, 08:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So what is that.... 10 in a row?

Or a Big T(elev)en. 
Reply/Quote
I was one of the big Jackson Carman bashers so I guess I will eat my words, congrats to him on turning his career around. I am going to be pulling hard for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm also in shock about the oline play like I'm sure a lot of people are. Very nice to see. Does anyone think the snow played a significant role.
I know they mentioned it during the game. But it does seem like it would not only slow down the first step but also hurt the bull rush. But after saying all that our guys were still getting pressure even if they couldn't turn them into sacks.

The biggest thing was our size advantage....that really bodes well in slick conditions.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And yet our d line dominated their o line

Trey was money today... rewatch the game and he was pushing his guy backwards 5 yards every single time.

Perhaps Carmen is indeed a better LT than LG if so that is a awesome development.

Just repeating what the "experts" said. Which makes sense the D-Line explodes off the ball and in slipplier conditions they may need to take a softer step in order to not slip.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 09:33 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Trey was money today... rewatch the game and he was pushing his guy backwards 5 yards every single time.

Perhaps Carmen is indeed a better LT than LG if so that is a awesome development.

Just repeating what the "experts" said. Which makes sense the D-Line explodes off the ball and in slipplier conditions they may need to take a softer step in order to not slip.

I think Jackson is DEFINITELY a better tackle than guard, but that isn't saying a lot. He played pretty good off the bench last week, and was dominant and NASTY today. We need a bigger sample size, but early returns aren't that bad!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: wth is Max Sharping? never heard of this guy before.. yet he did his job. Finally back ups that can hold their own? what dimension are we living in?

What’s even better they claimed him on final cuts in the preseason!
Reply/Quote
I loved the play where, I think it was Perine, was running on the left side. Carman just had to clear his guy out of the run lane. One handed he sent the DE flying out.of position. Jack the Jiant is back!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 09:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think Jackson is DEFINITELY a better tackle than guard, but that isn't saying a lot. He played pretty good off the bench last week, and was dominant and NASTY today. We need a bigger sample size, but early returns aren't that bad!

He blocked a guy into the sideline last week,  I have never seen an offensive lineman do that before. 
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams is a very good LT.  One of the best of his age group.  Carman showed well, but he has yet to play against a premium bender off the edge.  The Bills DL relied on Miller to be their sack ace and were stuck playing rotational guys who are better against the run.  Good on Carman for being so good in the run game and holding it down in pass pro.  You'll have to forgive me for not crowning him all pro LT material just yet.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: wth is Max Sharping? never heard of this guy before.. yet he did his job. Finally back ups that can hold their own? what dimension are we living in?

First of all....absolutely LOVE your avatar.  Couldn't stop laughing for a bit.  Heard Deadpool's voice say "tea bag!" when I saw it.   Hilarious

Second, there was a great image of Sharping holding his young son (in a 74 jersey that said DADDY) and he was grinning ear to ear.  I just love it.  Duke making that steal off the Texans PS when they tried to hide him.  It is all so great.  The ONLY thing that has me a little sad is I wish Chido was out there as well as he is a big part of this team.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 09:24 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I was one of the big Jackson Carman bashers so I guess I will eat my words, congrats to him on turning his career around.  I am going to be pulling hard for him.

We just had a huge win, yet. thread is starting bashing our LT that is hurt. We will have months in the off season to discuss a future roster. 

Sorry, I will never get rooting against a Bengals player to get worse or cut.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 10:15 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Jonah Williams is a very good LT.  One of the best of his age group.  Carman showed well, but he has yet to play against a premium bender off the edge.  The Bills DL relied on Miller to be their sack ace and were stuck playing rotational guys who are better against the run.  Good on Carman for being so good in the run game and holding it down in pass pro.  You'll have to forgive me for not crowning him all pro LT material just yet.  

Williams has given up the 2nd most sacks of any left tackle in the league. This was a stat in espn last week. How is he a very good lt? The run game today had a lot to do with the difference between carman and Williams just physically. Carman was completely throwing guys around like rag dolls on some plays today
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 5 year starter at Houston...

2 year (and 1 game)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 10:21 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Williams has given up the 2nd most sacks of any left tackle in the league. This was a stat in espn last week.  How is he a very good lt? The run game today had a lot to do with carman

Wasn't he playing through knee problems for a large part of the season?  I can't remember where I heard that or when this issue first cropped up - hopefully someone in here can enlighten us.  Jonah did seem to regress a little in pass pro this year.  If my memory serves me, he started the season off looking better in the run game but worse in pass protection.  I dunno, Frank Pollack seemed to like him last year and again this year.  Check out his PFF grades from years past.  Typically the best of the best OTs are a little older and if my memory serves me he was right up there with the most highly graded pass protectors of his age bracket.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about supplanting Jonah Williams.

It would be absolute found money if Carman could play well for the remainder of the postseason and become a player the Bengals can depend on to start in 2023. This team will need all the affordable talent they can get. Having a second round bust become a legit starter would be insanely good fortune for them.
Reply/Quote
Some Tackles just thrive more at their natural tackle position...Adeniji seems like another example of this. Many think that Guard is an easier position and one that any serviceable tackle can switch to and thrive wo a transitional learning curve. I've always thought that guard is undervalued (center as well) in the league. It's gotten a bit more respected among many organizations, but still not as valued as the position(s) should be. I'm pretty stoked by how Carman is playing, and although I thought it might be a great idea to make him a guard at the NFL level, I'm hoping that he's just more of a natural tackle, and that his struggles early were more related to the position switch than from other factors.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 08:11 PM)Tony Wrote: Sorry not sorry.. I'm in complete shock over this Oline.. They didn't just hold up they dominated..

Same here.To say I was impressed is an understatement.
Reply/Quote
The OL played awesomely.

It still isn’t an indictment on Jonah. Yuck thread.
Reply/Quote
I just hope for the love of God we don't see Jonah Williams on the field again this year. I get he is being paid to come back next year but its not a coincidence he goes out and our sacks are down and our run game was improved. It would be narrow minded to think if he is healthy he should be put back on the field next game. His product has been putrid this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:28 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: I just hope for the love of God we don't see Jonah Williams on the field again this year. I get he is being paid to come back next year but its not a coincidence he goes out and our sacks are down and our run game was improved. It would be narrow minded to think if he is healthy he should be put back on the field next game. His product has been putrid this year.

Buffalo's D is not nearly as good as Baltimore's. Run D, pass D, or pass rush. They were missing their best pass rusher, another DL starter, and both starting safeties. A their division is shite offensively. The Jets and Pats stink on O, as does Miami without Tua. Buffalo's defensive stats flatter the D. 
Reply/Quote