Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
C'mon Mike. Can't you do anything to pump up your fan base?
(03-11-2017, 11:09 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: There are no repercussions for running it in the manner he has, so why sell?  He inherited a license to print money. 

His death is the only hope we have for change.  Even then his daughter may believe it takes no football acumen to be successful and you can exploit fans' loyalty while making no effort whatsoever and still clean up.  I'm sure that lesson hasn't been lost on her.  Any hope we have for a brighter tomorrow rests on Katie being a more conscientious owner than her father. 

God help us

I think we would be shocked at the number of Brown family-members occupying important positions in the Bengal organization and apparently NOT ONE OF THEM has any football sense. So when Mikey is no longer the bain of Bengal fans, there are many saplings to take his place...and the beat goes on Cry
Reply/Quote
Back in the 90's, Mike got so badly raked over the coals, for good reason, that he dug his heels in so far, nothing will ever change him.

The reality is that unwillingness to change gets you left behind. This is true whether you've had great failure and want to turn it around or great success and want to maintain it. The world moves forward. This is true for the entire world and all the little worlds contained within.
The NFL evolves rapidly. Evolve with it or be left behind. So simple, really. Mike is still shaking off the ooze and the best teams are walking upright.

Any improvements the Bengals have made in this century has its roots in changes Mike allowed to be made. Why not take a couple more steps down that road?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You'd think with the lackluster drafts of last few years not producing any real difference maker players since Eifert, they would make a change at the 'gm' position. Or anything. Heck even the Redskins just fired there gm after 2 seasons, and they were in the playoffs recently like we were. And as much grief Snyder got, at least he is willing to allow changes to happen for a chance to better the team. I'd rather see changes for a chance at being better, than no changes at all with the same people making the crucial decisions come draft & free agency when it isnt working like it is here.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The only thing Mike Brown pumps up is his lift chair, which he happily got at goodwill for 2 bits.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
There's nothing he could do to "pump up" the people who demand to be pumped up.
Reply/Quote
To be fair Brown doesn't owe fans a thing. Loyalty isn't a commodity you can take to the bank or even take someone to court over. If he bankrupts the team it's on him and not anyone else and so far that isn't in the cards. It's a profitable business and the only people he actually owes anything to are the stockholders of the Cincinnati Bengals.  If you want demand that Brown owes you something buy stock in the team when and if it becomes available.  
Sure, you can say he took advantage of the county for the stadium deal and he did, but that was with the blessing of the county elected officials. Hold their feet to the fire come election day, but chances are they're all out of office anyway by now. 
Truth is that nobody has to like Brown. You are not and never have been required to be a Bengals fan. You don't even have to like football, but thanks to county officials if you live and work in the county you have to pay for part of the stadium. The only thing Brown owes you as a tax payer is to have a team play football in the stadium a minimum of 8 days a year. Sadly that is where his obligation to you ends. They're not even required to win a single game. From Brown's perspective I assume that is about as good as any business deal could ever get other than making a law requiring every single citizen of the county be required to buy season tickets every season as long as they live. 
I'm not defending him, far from it, but man, you can't get much of a better deal than he got when Paul died and made Mike the king of the franchise.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 03:33 PM)Derrick Wrote: I think we would be shocked at the number of Brown family-members occupying important positions in the Bengal organization and apparently NOT ONE OF THEM has any football sense. So when Mikey is no longer the bain of Bengal fans, there are many saplings to take his place...and the beat goes on Cry

Apparently Paul didn't teach anyone in his family what he knew.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Apparently Paul didn't teach anyone in his family what he knew.

He didn't have to. He sent them to Ivy League schools to learn law and how to make money doing what millions of people think they know how to do every season playing fantasy football. If I thought that by sending my kids to Ivy league schools they could turn my hobby into a multi billion dollar enterprise I'd do exactly the same thing. I just don't have the money for the tuition. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown could care less about the fan base.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: There's nothing he could do to "pump up" the people who demand to be pumped up.

Back in my halcyon Madison Avenue days we spent a decent amount of time building brand equity of clients via strategies based upon analyzing what the brand's competitors were doing and evaluating key aspects successful relevant brands had in common.  Mike Brown seems uninterested in adopting practices the more successful franchises have in common.

My perception is that he defines success in a very different manner than NFL players and NFL fans do.  It's rather unreasonable to think that putting a winner on the field is a top priority based upon his actions.  It's his business to run, but I can't dupe myself into thinking that he's really trying to win and just happens to come up short every single year he's been calling the shots.

The Bengals and the Pittsburgh Pirates are both similar (in my view) since they are teams run for success that isn't measured in championships and they just happen to catch lightning in a bottle occasionally BUT said lightning only leads to playoff participation.  So it goes.
Reply/Quote
It appeared two or three years ago that the Bengals had really turned a corner. They were making good draft picks, avoiding the bad eggs that gave the team a black eye, were making the playoffs regularly. They had really turned things around since that magazine article said that they were the worst organization of any sport in America. Some well known pundits were even saying that they were a model organization.

But it seems like every since that debacle against the Steelers in the playoffs a year ago that they are spiraling downward all over again. Someone needs to come up with some solutions fast. Problem is there is no one.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:30 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown extended the winningest coach in Bengals history.  Twice.

Doesn't that make you want to save money to buy season tickets?

He also happens to be the coach with the most playoff loses and has zero playoff wins to boot.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 02:55 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: In all due fairness what's she going to say? My Dad is doing a terrible job and it takes everything I have to keep the team afloat.  He's her dad and her boss.  Name any job where you can publicly show descention among the ranks and there will be no repurcussions?

Katie?? Is that you??
Reply/Quote
It's getting really hard for me to root for the Bengals...

Being away from Cincy so long is part of it. The BS with Whit, and now Peko, doesn't help.

At least I can go see Peko at Mile High...

Colorado is slowly turning me on to the Broncos and this bone headed move isn't helping me stay true to the Bengals.

All these idiotic moves and lack of acquiring anyone via FA has Mikey written all over it.

Good luck Whit...see ya soon, Peko.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My perception is that he defines success in a very different manner than NFL players and NFL fans do.  It's rather unreasonable to think that putting a winner on the field is a top priority based upon his actions.  It's his business to run, but I can't dupe myself into thinking that he's really trying to win and just happens to come up short every single year he's been calling the shots.

I think he has put winning teams on the field. The Bengals have been more successful over the past 7-10 years than most other NFL franchises. The team blowing playoff games is on the players and coaches. The Bengals had the steelers beat....and the players blew it. And what people fail to see is that we have had success without burying ourselves in salary cap hell like so many other teams have done in fleeting attempts to win right now with no eye to the future. MB has put teams capable of contending on the field, you can't deny that. And he has also done so with an eye toward the long term health and stability of the team.

I want them to win a SB. I was in Miami the last time they were in one getting my hopes dashed by Joe Montana. But I also realize NFL football is a business, and at the root of it all, a game. A simple distraction to entertain me on my Sundays. But again, today's fans have zero patience, nor do they care about the long term health of their team. They always want the big money signing, the big money FA, etc....regardless of the long term effect.

The ravens had to pay Joe Flacco a ridiculous contract after his flash in the pan playoff run. He hasn't duplicated that success in any form since. And the ravens are still paying for that contract by who they are not able to sign to help the team.

I have no doubt that MB wants to win. But I also have no doubt that he is not willing to do it by mortgaging the future of the Bengals. That's my take on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: 1. I think he has put winning teams on the field. The Bengals have been more successful over the past 7-10 years than most other NFL franchises. The team blowing playoff games is on the players and coaches. The Bengals had the steelers beat....and the players blew it. And what people fail to see is that we have had success without burying ourselves in salary cap hell like so many other teams have done in fleeting attempts to win right now with no eye to the future. MB has put teams capable of contending on the field, you can't deny that. And he has also done so with an eye toward the long term health and stability of the team.

I want them to win a SB. I was in Miami the last time they were in one getting my hopes dashed by Joe Montana. But I also realize NFL football is a business, and at the root of it all, a game. A simple distraction to entertain me on my Sundays. But again, 2. today's fans have zero patience, nor do they care about the long term health of their team. They always want the big money signing, the big money FA, etc....regardless of the long term effect.

3. The ravens had to pay Joe Flacco a ridiculous contract after his flash in the pan playoff run. He hasn't duplicated that success in any form since. And the ravens are still paying for that contract by who they are not able to sign to help the team.

4. I have no doubt that MB wants to win. But I also have no doubt that he is not willing to do it by mortgaging the future of the Bengals. That's my take on it.

1. There would be no salary cap hell if he would simply stop being loyal to players that are clearly mediocre or past their primes. There's always fat they could trim from the roster to bring in someone more productive. They could also be more proactive by restructuring contracts. And I'm sorry Beaker, but saying "the Bengals have been more successful over the past 7-10 years than most other NFL franchises" sounds like something Mike Brown would say. We fans (and the city of Cincinnati) deserve better than multiple playoff embarrassments after all we've been through with this team.

The players have been at fault, Marv and the staff has been at fault, and I refuse to let Mike Brown off the hook. He could've done more. A perfect example is right now. Rather than improve the line with one of the many solid FA linemen available, Mike is more worried about silly compensatory picks. If this cheap and flimsy o-line wastes another year of Dalton/Green/Atkins/Dunlap/Burfict...so what. That's not as important as a future 5th round pick. You don't see the flaw in this philosophy?

2. We've been waiting 26 years for a single playoff win. Lack of patience shouldn't be a term used to describe Bengals fans. If anything, some of you have been too patient.

3. I'm sure Ravens fans wish they could trade back Flacco's contract for the shiny Lombardi in their trophy case and the fond memories of that championship run. C'mon man...we're in the same situation now (hemorrhaging talent) and we have diddly squat to show for it.

4. I have no doubt that Mike Brown wants to win, but it's not his #1 priority. There's a mountain of evidence that supports that notion. As for the future, I'd say we don't have to worry about mortgaging it. It's already looking bleak. The Mike Brown way is failing, just as it has for nearly 30 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Turns out the path back to the 90's is not trying to do too much. It's doing nothing.

You take away about six players from this team and it is nothing. We are miles away from a SB. Miles and miles.

How many comp picks does it take to win a SB?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He needs to quit. And I'll fly to Cincy this year again. NFL package is on stand by untill I see some positive moves. Leaving Oggieboggie as a starter is not a positive move. As he was the worst lineman I've ever seen in Bengals gear. Worse than Guicic worse than Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:41 AM)McC Wrote: Turns out the path back to the 90's is not trying to do too much. It's doing nothing.

You take away about six players from this team and it is nothing. We are miles away from a SB. Miles and miles.

How many comp picks does it take to win a SB?

Comp pics doesn't matter. We won't play the guys till 2nd or 3rd year. Then when they start to show their talent, we let them walk.

Reply/Quote
The thing that gets me about Mike Brown, is he could make so much more money if the Bengals were a powerhouse like the teams they supposedly model. Some postseason success or finally winning a Lombardi would lead to bandwagon fans, increased merchandise sales, increased season ticket sales, the whole works. If he would get out of his own damn way, hire someone who could actually be competent as a GM (meaning not a family member), and actually spend his cap instead of cutting corners, he could increase his cash flow.

At the end of the day, 1 of 2 things is going through his mind; 1) he's happy with the amount he is currently making and doesn't care or 2) he somehow has not figured out that building an actual winner would make him even more money. We all know money is his true #1 priority.
Reply/Quote