Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer
In their latest mock, released this morning (March 22nd), CBS Sports has us taking Meyer at 28 (the mock is below the top article).

Washington, Kincaid, Skoronski, and Wright were all gone, so this seems like the most logical pick to me. Gibbs went the pick after us, but I don't like spending a first round pick on a back when running backs have been so devalued and have such a short shelf-life.

Here was their reasoning:

Quote:Another well-rounded weapon for Joe Burrow in Cincinnati. Targeting this position early came into focus after the loss of Hayden Hurst in free agency.

Hard to argue that and I've mentioned my reasons for wanting him a bunch of times- safety blanket for Burrow, target up the seams, impossible to double Chase, keep a safety back for Higgins, and keep a safety in the box to stop our run game, regardless of who it is, red zone target, etc.- and this just strengthens my opinions.

The only other first round pick I could see working would be tackle, but a tackle won't change game as much as Mayer and I feel in the draft or free like we could get one later agency after last cuts.
Reply/Quote
You aren't the only one loving Mayer: Mayer Falls to 26.

[Image: wait-a-minute.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 04:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You aren't the only one loving Mayer: Mayer Falls to 26.

[Image: wait-a-minute.gif]

I’m praying that Zac and Duke are high on him too!

lol

I really just want him because I’m thinking of what he could do for this offense and I think it would make us unstoppable!

I think Burrow could put up historic numbers with Mayer lined up with Chase and Higgins.
Reply/Quote
I'd be shocked if we took a TE in round 1, regardless of who is on the board. It just doesn't seem like a Bengals move.

I don't ever advocate drafting by need, but obviously we need to find a TE, RT and a CB in the waning stages of FA or in the draft. I just have a hard time seeing where he is the best player available if they stay at 28.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd be shocked if we took a TE in round 1, regardless of who is on the board.  It just doesn't seem like a Bengals move.

I don't ever advocate drafting by need, but obviously we need to find a TE, RT and a CB in the waning stages of FA or in the draft.  I just have a hard time seeing where he is the best player available if they stay at 28.

I agree with you 100%. We do not use the TE enough to warrant a first round selection and I feel that for the way we use the TE that there is not value in a first round selection. 

If Washington is there in the second then fine take a TE because he is a real freak. However, I feel a guy in the 3rd like Tucker Kraft fits what the Bengals do perfectly. 

Just my take on it. I would like to see us sign Foster Moreau and really swing the draft wide open.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd be shocked if we took a TE in round 1, regardless of who is on the board.  It just doesn't seem like a Bengals move.

I don't ever advocate drafting by need, but obviously we need to find a TE, RT and a CB in the waning stages of FA or in the draft.  I just have a hard time seeing where he is the best player available if they stay at 28.

(03-22-2023, 08:53 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree with you 100%. We do not use the TE enough to warrant a first round selection and I feel that for the way we use the TE that there is not value in a first round selection. 

If Washington is there in the second then fine take a TE because he is a real freak. However, I feel a guy in the 3rd like Tucker Kraft fits what the Bengals do perfectly. 

Just my take on it. I would like to see us sign Foster Moreau and really swing the draft wide open.

4 of the last 5 Tight Ends drafted by the Bengals have been top 100 picks with 2 drafted in the first round. The only Tight End that wasnt a top 100 pick was CJ Uzomah and that was the year they doubled down with Kraft and Uzomah.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:42 PM)Synric Wrote: 4 of the last 5 Tight Ends drafted by the Bengals have been top 100 picks with 2 drafted in the first round. The only Tight End that wasnt a top 100 pick was CJ Uzomah and that was the year they doubled down with Kraft and Uzomah.

You are comparing apples and oranges. There has been a single TE selected by this coaching staff and under this offensive scheme and he was a 2nd round selection and we see how that worked out. The most prominent TE under this regime has been Uzomah who was a 5th round selection. 

For the way that this offense uses the TE there just is not real value in a first round selection. The TE under this offensive system has averaged about 4.25 targets a game and the most targets of any TE under this offense was last season with Hurst at 68 when we started to see prominently two high safeties. So comparing the draft history of staffs outside of this one mean nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You are comparing apples and oranges. There has been a single TE selected by this coaching staff and under this offensive scheme and he was a 2nd round selection and we see how that worked out. The most prominent TE under this regime has been Uzomah who was a 5th round selection. 

For the way that this offense uses the TE there just is not real value in a first round selection. The TE under this offensive system has averaged about 4.25 targets a game and the most targets of any TE under this offense was last season with Hurst at 68 when we started to see prominently two high safeties. So comparing the draft history of staffs outside of this one mean nothing.

I'm just showing that historical data points out the Bengals personnel department of Duke and Bill Tobin will invest high capital into the Tight End room when its a need. Also recent drafts show that they attack entire position groups with multiple picks in a single draft class when they feel its a need.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just showing that historical data points out the Bengals personnel department of Duke and Bill Tobin will invest high capital into the Tight End room when its a need. Also recent drafts show that they attack entire position groups with multiple picks in a single draft class when they feel its a need.

I can understand you pointing to the history but the current staff is completely relevant when looking at data. I would be quite certain that Duke does not just sit there and make selections without the input of the staff. The use of personnel is also relevant when examining the data as well as scheme.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You are comparing apples and oranges. There has been a single TE selected by this coaching staff and under this offensive scheme and he was a 2nd round selection and we see how that worked out. The most prominent TE under this regime has been Uzomah who was a 5th round selection. 

Being fair, Hurst was a career backup when he signed here and CJ wound up as a backup on the Jets.  TE's not putting up huge numbers in the passing game can simply be a talent issue.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd be shocked if we took a TE in round 1

I suppose the counter to your take is the roster doesn't currently have a TE1. It is going to be an interesting draft!
Reply/Quote
I think Foster Moreau may have been our plan A, but now that he is stepping away from football, TE in the first round may end up being plan B.

I'm not thrilled by the idea simply because TE is not a premium position.

Look at what top 10-ish TEs had to sign for in free agency. Gesicki and Schultz both signed 1 year up to 9 million dollar contracts with incentives (Gesicki was 4.5 up to 9, Schultz was 6.25 up to 9). If we wanted to sign one of them, we could have and we chose not to. That tells me the team doesn't value TE even at 9 million a year, so should we be spending a first round pick on a position that, given the chance, we just decided not to sign the top tight ends on the market for an incredibly reasonable price?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Foster Moreau may have been our plan A, but now that he is stepping away from football, TE in the first round may end up being plan B.

I'm not thrilled by the idea simply because TE is not a premium position.

Look at what top 10-ish TEs had to sign for in free agency. Gesicki and Schultz both signed 1 year up to 9 million dollar contracts with incentives (Gesicki was 4.5 up to 9, Schultz was 6.25 up to 9). If we wanted to sign one of them, we could have and we chose not to. That tells me the team doesn't value TE even at 9 million a year, so should we be spending a first round pick on a position that, given the chance, we just decided not to sign the top tight ends on the market for an incredibly reasonable price?

Good points on Schultz and Gesicki, also the 5th year extension serves has little value for a TE.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 10:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just showing that historical data points out the Bengals personnel department of Duke and Bill Tobin will invest high capital into the Tight End room when its a need. Also recent drafts show that they attack entire position groups with multiple picks in a single draft class when they feel its a need.

It is definitely a need right now as well. Warming up to drafting a TE even if I still want a RT added early and a IOL like Avila.

Yah never know, Carman might surprise us and play well at RT and even beat a rookie we add early. Not throwing it out.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:02 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I suppose the counter to your take is the roster doesn't currently have a TE1. It is going to be an interesting draft!

Yes, but I can fill that need in round 2-3
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 09:42 PM)Synric Wrote: 4 of the last 5 Tight Ends drafted by the Bengals have been top 100 picks with 2 drafted in the first round. The only Tight End that wasnt a top 100 pick was CJ Uzomah and that was the year they doubled down with Kraft and Uzomah.

I 100% think the next TE will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I just don't see any reason to take one at 28.

And history isn't on the TE side, Eifert was 10 years ago?  The depth in this class along with so many of them being similar makes me think round 2-3
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is definitely a need right now as well. Warming up to drafting a TE even if I still want a RT added early and a IOL like Avila.

Yah never know, Carman might surprise us and play well at RT and even beat a rookie we add early. Not throwing it out.
I was just thinking that and how much it would open things up for us but then also thought "well, we just wasted a first round pick."

Still holding out hopes of finding one after the first or a surprise cut either after the draft, after June 1st, or after last cuts.
(03-23-2023, 08:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yes, but I can fill that need in round 2-3

Not on the same level as we can get in the first.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 08:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was just thinking that and how much it would open things up for us but then also thought "well, we just wasted a first round pick."

Still holding out hopes of finding one after the first or a surprise cut either after the draft, after June 1st, or after last cuts.

Not on the same level as we can get in the first.

Absolutely can.  The top 3-4 guys are pretty even.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 08:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Absolutely can.  The top 3-4 guys are pretty even.
False. Mayer is the safest pick at tight end in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: False. Mayer is the safest pick at tight end in the draft.

I get it, you love the guy, but to say he's head and shoulder above the others just simply isn't true.  The top 4-5 guys are pretty close.

And you can get one of those in round 2.  With as much as we use a tight end, it makes sense to address it later on.
Reply/Quote