Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS draft post funny
(04-18-2016, 09:31 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: If he is there, and that is a HUGE if, he will be a Bengal. That being said, I see the Colts snatching him up...but who knows. 

I don't see it. little to no way they draft Kelly, even if he is there. They would not keep trotting him out and playing 99.99% of the snaps if they had worries about him being a productive Center for them next year or beyond. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 11:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - Whitworth has 1 more year left unless he resigns and probably backs up Fisher or a new rookie LT who would step in after 1 year of study.  Whitworth could sign at a lower $ figure and be kept fresh in jumbo/unbalanced line packages.

2016 starting O-line is shaping up to be: Whit/Boling/Bodine/Zeitler/Ogbuehi (Leaving Fisher on the bench).
If they draft Decker the 2017 O-line could be: Decker/Fisher/Boling/Zeitler/Ogbuehi with Whitworth (or whoever) backing up - much like Winston does now.
^ This would allow the Bengals to put their strongest linemen out on the field at once where as using Fisher at LT .
I would not HATE the move if the WRs or CBs they liked were off the board. Or, if they were targeting a WR in the 2nd. Someone like Michael Thomas from OSU who could fall?

Why in the world would Whitworth either sign for less money, or agree to be a backup? He is literally playing at the highest level right now.

In 2014 he was 2nd team All-Pro, and in 2015 he was 1st team All-Pro. So what there makes you think he'd be like "sure, let me sign for $3m and be a backup"?

I'm a bit amazed and a bit appalled so many people want to take yet another OT when there's already one who will be sitting on the bench that can't find playing time. If there's an elite C there, sure, why not, that's an actual need. But an OT? No.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I don't see it. little to no way they draft Kelly, even if he is there. They would not keep trotting him out and playing 99.99% of the snaps if they had worries about him being a productive Center for them next year or beyond. 

I predict we draft a center, but not until the middle rounds.

the Bengals only gace Ghiacuic 2 years as full time starter before he was replaced.  and after Cook was injured and his play dropped off he only got one more year before being replaced.

They probably won't bench Bodine this year, but I'll bet they start looking for someone to groom as a possible replacement.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I predict we draft a center, but not until the middle rounds.

the Bengals only gace Ghiacuic 2 years as full time starter before he was replaced.  and after Cook was injured and his play dropped off he only got one more year before being replaced.

They probably won't bench Bodine this year, but I'll bet they start looking for someone to groom as a possible replacement.

And as long as we keep trying to find our Centers in the middle rounds when there are high grade blue chippers out there we will never really fix the problem.
Reply/Quote
People not understanding financial commitment 
If we spend too much on one position (Which we would with 1st round commitment), then money elsewhere is limited, obviously. We don't need every spot on the OL to be blue chip, as that is unrealistic.  We just need acceptable play at C, not excellent. Because excellent is everywhere else
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 09:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: And as long as we keep trying to find our Centers in the middle rounds when there are high grade blue chippers out there we will never really fix the problem.

Richie Braham was a street free agent.

Cook was an undrafted free agent.

Geno Atkins was a 4th rounder.  So was Boling.  

Marvin Jones was a 5th rounder.  So was Iloka.

We can't have first round picks at every position.  That just isn't possible.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 12:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Cook was an undrafted free agent.

Taken too high
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:49 PM)eoxyod Wrote: People not understanding financial commitment 
If we spend too much on one position (Which we would with 1st round commitment), then money elsewhere is limited, obviously. We don't need every spot on the OL to be blue chip, as that is unrealistic.  We just need acceptable play at C, not excellent. Because excellent is everywhere else

Center is actually a very important position, and we have not been getting acceptable play at it. WAY too much pressure up the middle and inability to run inside show that. Ever since Braham retired (and we got VERY lucky Braham worked out so well) Center has been a revolving door of garbage - Ghiacuc was one of the worst Centers in NFL history, Cook was below average and Bodine is a bust. It would be well worth a first or second round pick to actually fix the issue on a longer term basis.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 04:55 AM)Joelist Wrote: Center is actually a very important position, and we have not been getting acceptable play at it. WAY too much pressure up the middle and inability to run inside show that. Ever since Braham retired (and we got VERY lucky Braham worked out so well) Center has been a revolving door of garbage - Ghiacuc was one of the worst Centers in NFL history, Cook was below average and Bodine is a bust. It would be well worth a first or second round pick to actually fix the issue on a longer term basis.

Cook was a good center before he got injured.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have met with some OT's for this draft, but they have all been late/FA types.
Reply/Quote
The only offensive lineman I'd be fully on board with in the first round is Ryan Kelly.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 12:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Richie Braham was a street free agent.

Cook was an undrafted free agent.

Geno Atkins was a 4th rounder.  So was Boling.  

Marvin Jones was a 5th rounder.  So was Iloka.

We can't have first round picks at every position.  That just isn't possible.

And Tom Brady was taken in the 6th.

Tony Romo was undrafted.

Kurt Warner was also undrafted.

So the Bengals should just trade Dalton and get themselves a HoF/borderline-HoF QB in the late rounds/undrafted. It's happened before, so it MUST be just SUPER easy to recreate, right? Stupid other teams wasting good picks on a position they want to upgrade/fix. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 01:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And Tom Brady was taken in the 6th.

Tony Romo was undrafted.

Kurt Warner was also undrafted.

So the Bengals should just trade Dalton and get themselves a HoF/borderline-HoF QB in the late rounds/undrafted. It's happened before, so it MUST be just SUPER easy to recreate, right? Stupid other teams wasting good picks on a position they want to upgrade/fix. Ninja

God, I hate the stupidity around here.

How exactly are we supposed to have a first or second round pick at every single position.

And how is it that every other team in the league has a first or second round pick starting at center when only 12 centers have been taken in the first two round over the last 10 years?
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: God, I hate the stupidity around here.

How exactly are we supposed to have a first or second round pick at every single position.

And how is it that every other team in the league has a first or second round pick starting at center when only 12 centers have been taken in the first two round over the last 10 years?

Then leave?

Your problems with sand aside... You don't need a first or second round pick at every position, but half-assing the center position hasn't gotten the Bengals anywhere lately. so maybe right now, rather than wasting another second round pick on a Margus Hunt, Devon Still, or the 4th/5th T on the depth chart, go ahead and solve the problem. A good C will help your QB, RB, and Gs.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2016, 06:49 PM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: [Image: Smashign-Door.gif]

Sounds like something Denny would say
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 04:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why in the world would Whitworth either sign for less money, or agree to be a backup? He is literally playing at the highest level right now.

In 2014 he was 2nd team All-Pro, and in 2015 he was 1st team All-Pro. So what there makes you think he'd be like "sure, let me sign for $3m and be a backup"?

I'm a bit amazed and a bit appalled so many people want to take yet another OT when there's already one who will be sitting on the bench that can't find playing time. If there's an elite C there, sure, why not, that's an actual need. But an OT? No.

- Nelson just had a career year playing at the highest level and he's 2 years younger than Whitworth. Who's roster is he on now? Whitworth staying was ust an option. The other is... what roster is Nelson on now?

- I'm not saying I WANT the Bengals to take an OT. Or that I WANT Whit replaced. I was just saying that I could see it happening if the draft doesn't fall the way they envision. It's not preposterous and I just tried to illustrate why.

- Corey Coleman is the guy I feel would be the best pick for the Bengals in the first round. After that, I would say a CB, hybrid LB/DE, or S if a highly rated one were to fall. If not, then that tackle would be fine. I would just be really disenchanted with a DT given how insanely deep DT is this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 10:25 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - Nelson just had a career year playing at the highest level and he's 2 years younger than Whitworth. Who's roster is he on now? Whitworth staying was ust an option. The other is... what roster is Nelson on now?

- I'm not saying I WANT the Bengals to take an OT. Or that I WANT Whit replaced. I was just saying that I could see it happening if the draft doesn't fall the way they envision. It's not preposterous and I just tried to illustrate why.

- Corey Coleman is the guy I feel would be the best pick for the Bengals in the first round. After that, I would say a CB, hybrid LB/DE, or S if a highly rated one were to fall. If not, then that tackle would be fine. I would just be really disenchanted with a DT given how insanely deep DT is this draft.

You're comparing safeties vs left tackles first off. Safeties don't protect the blind side of $16-$20m quarterbacks who are the most important player to a team's success.

Secondly, Nelson is on the Raiders  (a 7-9 team last year who should be a winning team in 2016 with a very promising young franchise QB) as a STARTER. He's not making Earl Thomas money, he's also not signing somewhere to be a backup. Which was my point.

I see your Nelson and raise you an Alex Mack who is only one year younger than Nelson, but got 5 yr/$45m. Or if you want a T comparison, Donald Penn who will be 33 this month getting 2 yr/$14m, and he's sure not Whitworth level.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 10:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're comparing safeties vs left tackles first off. Safeties don't protect the blind side of $16-$20m quarterbacks who are the most important player to a team's success.

Secondly, Nelson is on the Raiders  (a 7-9 team last year who should be a winning team in 2016 with a very promising young franchise QB) as a STARTER. He's not making Earl Thomas money, he's also not signing somewhere to be a backup. Which was my point.

I see your Nelson and raise you an Alex Mack who is only one year younger than Nelson, but got 5 yr/$45m. Or if you want a T comparison, Donald Penn who will be 33 this month getting 2 yr/$14m, and he's sure not Whitworth level.

No, they don't... But 1st round tackles do.

I 100% see your points. They are smart, but not absolute. Not much is in the NFL draft.
Reply/Quote