Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIA Recruitment Video
(05-28-2021, 06:24 PM)bengaloo Wrote: CIA is hard at work with our tax dollars solving crime around the world. We should give them all raises for it. In fact I make too much money and feel the need to give more to some government agencies. Bring on some tax increases!! And please load up the CIA with more emotion. They have been too hard for too long. They need some more anxiety. I was hoping they could help save the world from terror attacks and such.

Is the CIA's mission to "solve crimes"? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 01:33 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Even that little girl at Little Caesars knew right from wrong when she tried to stop her mom.  And her mom was failing her.  She still knew.  I'm not buying these excuses for bad behavior.  I may be wrong, but I believe that people are born with an inherent sense of what is right and wrong.  At least from a murder, violence, destruction standpoint.  They may choose to do wrong or make excuses for doing wrong, but I believe they still know it is wrong.

There are points on which I usually agree with conservatives. I thought we might share one here--namely that it is important to TEACH our children to understand right from wrong. A great number of the conservative parents I've known have been very big on this. That why it matters which friends they choose, where they play, what schools they go to.

If children already knew right from wrong, such teaching would not be necessary.  

And if there were some "inherent sense of what is right and wrong," then it would likely be always the same everywhere; we wouldn't see so many different ideas about what counts as "murder, violence, destruction" across history and between cultures.

Otherwise one would have to believe that millions of people lived for thousands of years the world over constructing whole societies and legal cultures that went against that inherent sense, making excuses for doing wrong but still knowing it was wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 09:03 AM)Dill Wrote: Is the CIA's mission to "solve crimes"? 

Good question. What is the CIA's mission? Other than inspiring us to make cool movies like Men In Black and Bourne Identity and whatnot of course. I guess they are spies for the most part. Spying on the world is their mission?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 11:22 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Good question. What is the CIA's mission? Other than inspiring us to make cool movies like Men In Black and Bourne Identity and whatnot of course. I guess they are spies for the most part. Spying on the world is their mission?

To collect intelligence outside the U.S., for use in making policy.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 01:37 PM)Dill Wrote: To collect intelligence outside the U.S., for use in making policy.

Thats about exactly what Bill O'Reilly would say. Have you ever read any of the declassified documents they have released over the years? 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 03:00 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Thats about exactly what Bill O'Reilly would say. Have you ever read any of the declassified documents they have released over the years? 

LOL it's also what the CIA Mission Statement says: https://www.cia.gov/about/mission-vision/

Um, I guess so--like about Vietnam, the Camp David Accords, Argentina's Dirty Wars? 

I have read competent digests of the covert war in Chile, '64-'74.  

Do I have to list it all?  You angling at something specific?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 09:30 AM)Dill Wrote: There are points on which I usually agree with conservatives. I thought we might share one here--namely that it is important to TEACH our children to understand right from wrong. A great number of the conservative parents I've known have been very big on this. That why it matters which friends they choose, where they play, what schools they go to.

If children already knew right from wrong, such teaching would not be necessary.  

And if there were some "inherent sense of what is right and wrong," then it would likely be always the same everywhere; we wouldn't see so many different ideas about what counts as "murder, violence, destruction" across history and between cultures.

Otherwise one would have to believe that millions of people lived for thousands of years the world over constructing whole societies and legal cultures that went against that inherent sense, making excuses for doing wrong but still knowing it was wrong. 
The little girl at Little Caesars who tried to stop her mom from acting like a rabid animal knew right from wrong.  Yes, we teach our kids, but we also have an instinctual level of right and wrong.  There are always exceptions.  Sorry, I am just not buying that we have no idea what right and wrong is solely based on being taught.

I am not a conservative.  It just seems that way because I do have some views that are considered conservative, plus most on here lean liberal/progressive.
Reply/Quote