Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN refuses to retract its lie
(08-31-2018, 07:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The picture "says" that child was separated from her parent.

Was that child separated from her parent?

I'm pretty sure everyone in the forum except you understands this (EDIT: I see BoS also doesn't grasp the point) and it this point it is useless to continue discussion as you are never going to change your POV.

My apologies to the OP; as I only brought the incident up to illustrate other examples of where the media was in error and these errors give Trump ammo to stand on his soapbox. Yet for some reason you chose this as a sword to fall on and I have entertained it far too long.

Bologna.

You bring it up as a distraction.  Repeatedly.  It's all a true Trump supporter can do since they can't defend him from the facts.

This "error" is a nothingburger....but because less than smart people who do not want to understand anything use it to "prove" the media is "fake" it gets brought up continuously.

They did not present that photo as THE child separated from their parents.  The usde a photo of a crying immigrant child who was one of the lucky ones to not be separated.

It takes nothing from the truth of the story.

It simply can be used (lied about) to create a fog to distract from the story by Trump and his supporters (you).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-30-2018, 07:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup, this is a perfectly viable option, and the logical one. It shouldn't matter. The content of the article should be what matters more. But that doesn't matter because that's not what anyone is going to think about.

Because it's not what Trump defenders (and secret voters) want to think about. It helps clear their conscience for voting for someone they constantly claim they don't agree with or support.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(08-31-2018, 10:18 AM)jj22 Wrote: Because it's not what Trump defenders (and secret voters) want to think about. It helps clear their conscience for voting for someone they constantly claim they don't agree with or support.

In all seriousness, most ardent Trump supporters are pretty low information voters. They don't actually know about all the terrible policy decisions being made or the countless scandals in the administration. They aren't hearing about them. That is why they find it easier to defend him.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-31-2018, 10:22 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: In all seriousness, most ardent Trump supporters are pretty low information voters.

I say what you won't, many of them are plain stupid. Half of them believed in pizzagate. Case closed.

Those who aren't use rhetorical tricks, spins, shifts, whataboutisms, shaky logical bridges etc. just like people from all sides do. That these attempts look bad to comical at times is Trump's fault. Sure, one could also just leave him, but once you've looked into his golden heart, it's hard to do.
(08-30-2018, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This cracks me up.

You are actually saying that no children were separated from their parents because they did not use the right picture.

Trump lovers will grasp at any straw.

"FAKE NEWS!!  NO CHILDREN WERE SEPERATED FROM THEIR PARENTS!!!  TIME MAGAZINE IS LYING!!!"

LOL if Time used the picture of a girl who wasn't separated, how can we really know that a government policy and ICE really did separate children from parents at the border?  Hilarious
(08-31-2018, 10:50 AM)hollodero Wrote: I say what you won't, many of them are plain stupid. Half of them believed in pizzagate. Case closed.

Those who aren't use rhetorical tricks, spins, shifts, whataboutisms, shaky logical bridges etc. just like people from all sides do. That these attempts look bad to comical at times is Trump's fault. Sure, one could also just leave him, but once you've looked into his golden heart, it's hard to do.

Trump voters to Hollo: If you think we're stupid then we'll show you. We will keep supporting Trump NO MATTER WHAT!  Rant 

How do you like that!!       MAGA!!     Lalala
(08-31-2018, 10:50 AM)hollodero Wrote: I say what you won't, many of them are plain stupid. Half of them believed in pizzagate. Case closed.

I have been working on outreach stuff, lately, so I try to take it easy on folks. I talk about fishing a lot, and I go fishing a lot. The angling community is filled with people much more conservative than myself. Often we are into both hunting and fishing and so firearms legislation is important to them. For a long time, Democrats in this state have been leaving this alone because that outreach has been seen as unattainable since the southern strategy. As a result, it makes it much easier to dehumanize them as the opposition, which furthers the divisiveness in our political environment.

When I talk to these people we talk about the need to protect the forests and waterways. We lament the pollution that has been caused by Merck and DuPont. We are saddened by the forested land that is ever shrinking and the way the erratic weather has made hunting and fishing more difficult. We pick up trash as we walk in from a fishing spot because it is harmful to the ecosystem in which these fish and the waterfowl live. Liberal and conservative, side by side, same concerns.

We're all people sharing the same world, same country, state, county, city, whatever. We have shared concerns. We just need to talk about those because that is what matters. Not the big exciting story being sold to us to distract us from the policies that really affect our every day lives.

/tangent
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
"Sources say".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-31-2018, 09:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Bologna.

You bring it up as a distraction.  Repeatedly.  It's all a true Trump supporter can do since they can't defend him from the facts.

This "error" is a nothingburger....but because less than smart people who do not want to understand anything use it to "prove" the media is "fake" it gets brought up continuously.

They did not present that photo as THE child separated from their parents.  The usde a photo of a crying immigrant child who was one of the lucky ones to not be separated.

It takes nothing from the truth of the story.

It simply can be used (lied about) to create a fog to distract from the story by Trump and his supporters (you).
You're free to go back and look at all the rational responses to Fred from multiple posters in this Thread. As I have stated it has become ridiculous.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I mean it's not like the Trump admin is trying to actively keep people from seeing the truth.

Right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-31-2018, 11:13 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have been working on outreach stuff, lately, so I try to take it easy on folks. I talk about fishing a lot, and I go fishing a lot. The angling community is filled with people much more conservative than myself. Often we are into both hunting and fishing and so firearms legislation is important to them. For a long time, Democrats in this state have been leaving this alone because that outreach has been seen as unattainable since the southern strategy. As a result, it makes it much easier to dehumanize them as the opposition, which furthers the divisiveness in our political environment.

When I talk to these people we talk about the need to protect the forests and waterways. We lament the pollution that has been caused by Merck and DuPont. We are saddened by the forested land that is ever shrinking and the way the erratic weather has made hunting and fishing more difficult. We pick up trash as we walk in from a fishing spot because it is harmful to the ecosystem in which these fish and the waterfowl live. Liberal and conservative, side by side, same concerns.

We're all people sharing the same world, same country, state, county, city, whatever. We have shared concerns. We just need to talk about those because that is what matters. Not the big exciting story being sold to us to distract us from the policies that really affect our every day lives.

/tangent

You describe it beautifully. And sure, those shared concerns should overcome differences, and they might in the right setting. But I can't take it easy on folks any more. As soon as they chant "lock her up" (people in my country don't chant "lock her up", but they have their phrases) or engage in xenophobic rhetorics or say stuff like climate change is a hoax orchestrated by Al Gore or believe Obama is an america-hating muslim and Trump is out to get a huge pedophilia ring whistleblowed by "Q", I find it hard to impossible to see and pursue the common ground. Also, as soon as they support guys that will do nothing but lie to them regarding the things that matter.

And what could I do. When someone tells me that our government evicts Austrian families from their property to make room for refugees and said someone knows these things for a fact and calls me dumb for not believing them, what is there to say really. And it's not just a fringe group of people believing that stuff, there are so many, here and in the US. And we could agree on intact ecosystems, but when the guy then is a Trump supporter who throws every environment protection act out of the window, is there really common ground?
(08-31-2018, 07:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The picture "says" that child was separated from her parent.

Was that child separated from her parent?

I'm pretty sure everyone in the forum except you understands this (EDIT: I see BoS also doesn't grasp the point) and it this point it is useless to continue discussion as you are never going to change your POV.

My apologies to the OP; as I only brought the incident up to illustrate other examples of where the media was in error and these errors give Trump ammo to stand on his soapbox. Yet for some reason you chose this as a sword to fall on and I have entertained it far too long.

The picture says that children were separated from their parents.  It foes not mention the exact child in the picture. 

That is factually true.  You don't even know the name of the child so you can not claim the story was about that one single child.

You can't come up with ONE single fact from the story that was fake yet you claim Trumps claim that it was "fake news" is legitimate.

The picture changes absolutely NOTHING about the facts of the story.  Newspapers and magazines have used stock photos for years.  as long as they did not contradict any of the facts in the story or twist the meaning of the story NO ONE CARED.  But now that Trump is being proven a liar (based on his words, not stock photos) suddenly the Trump supporters are OUTRAGED.

"The story of children getting separated from their families is FAKE NEWS because a magazine used a stock photo of a child separated from its parents."