Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CTE Solution To Prevent The End Of The NFL?
It's not really a solution because it doesn't fix the problem and it might lower the quality of play because good players might not get to play as long, but, instead of just shutting down the league because of damage to players' brains, what about forcing a player to get a brain scan before the start of every season and, if the damage is noticeable and enough where it will cause problems, force the player to retire.

I understand that a lot of good players would be forced to retire why they're still playing at a high level, but it would save lives down the line and prevent a shutdown of the NFL. which seems inevitable.

It would also cause players to use their head a lot less if they know that they'd be done with any damage to their brain that is noticeable.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
NFL isn't shutting down too much money is involved changes will be made but the league isn't going anywhere
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
CTE can only be detected during autopsy....unfortunately.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 05:26 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: CTE can only be detected during autopsy....unfortunately.

But brain damage can be seen in brain scans. I'm missing chunks of my brain from when it rattled around in my skull when we hit the tree and, even if it's not that bad, damage would be noticeable before it got too bad.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 03:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's not really a solution because it doesn't fix the problem and it might lower the quality of play because good players might not get to play as long, but, instead of just shutting down the league because of damage to players' brains, what about forcing a player to get a brain scan before the start of every season and, if the damage is noticeable and enough where it will cause problems, force the player to retire.

I understand that a lot of good players would be forced to retire why they're still playing at a high level, but it would save lives down the line and prevent a shutdown of the NFL. which seems inevitable.

It would also cause players to use their head a lot less if they know that they'd be done with any damage to their brain that is noticeable.

Thoughts?

All and all, your probably onto something here. I could actually see this happening in the future, but not now. TBH, I really don't think the NFL cares about this as much as they lead on.

(08-08-2017, 05:26 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: CTE can only be detected during autopsy....unfortunately.

I've heard this too. Maybe on a documentary or the movie - not sure?

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 05:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: But brain damage can be seen in brain scans. I'm missing chunks of my brain from when it rattled around in my skull when we hit the tree and, even if it's not that bad, damage would be noticeable before it got too bad.

Again, CTE is only detectable in an autopsy. If they could tell it by a scan, they would.....
Reply/Quote
As much as it pains me to say it the NFL will be a totally different game as we know it today in 20 years.

Players are unfortunately too big, too fast and hit too hard for the current system to stay in place
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Isn't the NFL like a $10b industry? Yeah, that isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention that they will never lack people who want to make at MINIMUM $465,000/yr, and up to $25m/yr to risk their body.

Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous about how much news coverage the long term health of millionaires, who made choices as adults to risk their bodies for large sums of money, gets.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 04:59 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: NFL isn't shutting down too much money is involved changes will be made but the league isn't going anywhere

^This.  Many players have already come out and said that they are willing to take the risk to make sure they and their families are taken care of for life.

I think we will continue to see more and more people retiring earlier.  

There should be more research into safer helmets/technology and more training on proper tackling.  St. Xavier (local high school team) participated in a study about a collar to help prevent concussions.  It is interesting but needs more like it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2017/06/28/local-concussion-study-publishes-more-promising-results/396316001/
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 07:20 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: All and all, your probably onto something here. I could actually see this happening in the future, but not now. TBH, I really don't think the NFL cares about this as much as they lead on.

I've heard this too. Maybe on a documentary or the movie - not sure?
I was thinking more of a public outcry or the law getting involved or something like that.

As far as CTE, that doesn't make much sense to me because they do brain scans on people to find traumatic brain injuries.

I think that NFL players should be allowed to smoke lots of weed since weed grows back missing brain cells and heals damaged parts.
(08-08-2017, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, CTE is only detectable in an autopsy. If they could tell it by a scan, they would.....
But some brain damage would be visible, and if it's bad enough to be visible, then it should obviously call to stop a player's career.

I'll admit that I don't have much knowledge of CTE, but it seems like it would have to start in edges of the brain from banging against the skull and then it spreads to the rest of the brain, so you wouldn't be able to see where it spreads, but you would be able to see the initial damage.
(08-08-2017, 09:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Isn't the NFL like a $10b industry? Yeah, that isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention that they will never lack people who want to make at MINIMUM $465,000/yr, and up to $25m/yr to risk their body.

Honestly I think it's kind of ridiculous about how much news coverage the long term health of millionaires, who made choices as adults to risk their bodies for large sums of money, gets.

I agree but I'm thinking the public outcry might get to be too much or that the government might step in.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but I'm thinking the public outcry might get to be too much or that the government might step in.

What public outcry? The government might indeed step in, but there's not going to be a public outcry to force the NFL to do more to prevent brain damage in NFL players.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: But some brain damage would be visible, and if it's bad enough to be visible, then it should obviously call to stop a player's career.

You are not listening, no you can't see any visible damage in any tests we have today. When they find a way to actually test for it before death you will see them do this.
Reply/Quote
I wish they would have a sample of average non football players males from 40 to 75 years of age to get an extent on what type of long term injuries football is doing. but if you ban football you also have to ban boxing, mma, nascar, NHL. generally in basketball and soccer you are forced to run much more constantly so heart and cardio vascular can shorten lifespan as well. then were left with just baseball. Which I wonder if most catchers would show up with signs of CTE.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:10 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I wish they would have a sample of average non football players males from 40 to 75 years of age to get an extent on what type of long term injuries football is doing. but if you ban football you also have to ban boxing, mma, nascar, NHL. generally in basketball and soccer you are forced to run much more constantly so heart and cardio vascular can shorten lifespan as well. then were left with just baseball. Which I wonder if most catchers would show up with signs of CTE.

They do have samples of average brains, they have thousands of them.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: They do have samples of average brains, they have thousands of them.

They arent searching for cte in those groups then. because we still dont know the trillion dollar question what percent of non football playing males have cte. for all we know a certain percentage of the population will develop cte regardless.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was thinking more of a public outcry or the law getting involved or something like that.

As far as CTE, that doesn't make much sense to me because they do brain scans on people to find traumatic brain injuries.

I think that NFL players should be allowed to smoke lots of weed since weed grows back missing brain cells and heals damaged parts.
But some brain damage would be visible, and if it's bad enough to be visible, then it should obviously call to stop a player's career.

I'll admit that I don't have much knowledge of CTE, but it seems like it would have to start in edges of the brain from banging against the skull and then it spreads to the rest of the brain, so you wouldn't be able to see where it spreads, but you would be able to see the initial damage.

I agree but I'm thinking the public outcry might get to be too much or that the government might step in.

Thing is, the average NFL player lives longer than your average Joe.  

The best thing the league can do is put in the research so players can make an informed decision.  
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:22 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: They arent searching for cte in those groups then. because we still dont know the trillion dollar question what percent of non football playing males have cte. for all we know a certain percentage of the population will develop cte regardless.

....no. You probably want to go out and do some research on the subject.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:51 AM)PhilHos Wrote: What public outcry? The government might indeed step in, but there's not going to be a public outcry to force the NFL to do more to prevent brain damage in NFL players.
I figured that there would eventually (if there's not already) a bunch of groups protesting the NFL for being violent and causing this type of long-term brain trauma.
(08-08-2017, 12:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: You are not listening, no you can't see any visible damage in any tests we have today. When they find a way to actually test for it before death you will see them do this.

Yes, they can see damage, I know personally because I've seen my own brain scans.

Brain damage in football injuries is caused by the brain slamming against the skull, which damages the outer parts, which would be visible in brain scans.

CTE is when it begins to spread to other parts of the brain, so you might not be able to see the inner brain where the damage has spread to, but you can see the initial damage.
Reply/Quote
Im getting pretty sick and tired of hearing about CTE.

I can see how some of the players previously associated with the NFL are disgruntled or upset with the league because they thought the NFL was hiding something when it comes to CTE and brain damage...

BUT

If you are a current player then you know damn well the dangers of playing football. Its not the NFLs problem anymore, its the players problem. If they dont want brain damage or CTE, then dont play. Its that simple. I dont have any sympathy for these guys. They are now informed and know the risks.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I figured that there would eventually (if there's not already) a bunch of groups protesting the NFL for being violent and causing this type of long-term brain trauma.

Yes, they can see damage, I know personally because I've seen my own brain scans.

Brain damage in football injuries is caused by the brain slamming against the skull, which damages the outer parts, which would be visible in brain scans.

CTE is when it begins to spread to other parts of the brain, so you might not be able to see the inner brain where the damage has spread to, but you can see the initial damage.

You are being quite ignorant. 

Your doctor didnt scan you for CTE. He scanned you for brain damage. There is a difference.

CTE can ONLY be diagnosed right now through AUTOPSY. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/new-brain-scan-leap-cte-research-article-1.2636640
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote