Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calais Campbell
I just can't see why more people on these boards aren't pushing hard for this guy. He's a 3 down lineman who can play both inside and on the edge with the measurable that we love. If there was one signing that could improve this team more than any other in free agency its Campbell.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Quote:He's a 3 down lineman who can play both inside and on the edge...

...which is why a lot of people are betting he ends up in Tampa. They need exactly that and have buckets of cash. I read they've also got office guys who are from Arizona, so that might make talks even easier for TB.

Campbell is going to get some very high offers. I doubt any come from Ohio.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 05:54 PM)Benton Wrote: ...which is why a lot of people are betting he ends up in Tampa. They need exactly that and have buckets of cash. I read they've also got office guys who are from Arizona, so that might make talks even easier for TB.

That's true, but I have to at least talk about possible signings.  It may not be a high chance, but if we lose big z they may use that money to sign a impact DE instead of a position they don't like to break the bank on.  He may also be interested on playing with a team that has Dunlap and Atkins knowing that they have a great chance of being a dominate line.  

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 06:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: That's true, but I have to at least talk about possible signings.  It may not be a high chance, but if we lose big z they may use that money to sign a impact DE instead of a position they don't like to break the bank on.  He may also be interested on playing with a team that has Dunlap and Atkins knowing that they have a great chance of being a dominate line.  

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as "well, have no hope because..." No excuse, just a bad day at the office on my part.

I do agree if they don't sign Zeitler we will have a healthy chunk, and I would love if that was spent on an end. One of my biggest frustrations the last four(ish) years is our lack of attention to the DL. Resigning MJ and Margus have been the headlines. We can't just expect Carlos and Geno to carry things. Plus, they aren't going to be in their prime forever.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 08:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as "well, have no hope because..." No excuse, just a bad day at the office on my part.

I do agree if they don't sign Zeitler we will have a healthy chunk, and I would love if that was spent on an end. One of my biggest frustrations the last four(ish) years is our lack of attention to the DL. Resigning MJ and Margus have been the headlines. We can't just expect Carlos and Geno to carry things. Plus, they aren't going to be in their prime forever.

I am going to disagree.. they have drafted  a 4,4,3 round pick on DL last three draft.. you can;t predict health "Billings and Hardison" so still time for those two.. also Clarke seemed to improve this year... so i think disagree that they have not addressed DL.. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 05:54 PM)Benton Wrote: ...which is why a lot of people are betting he ends up in Tampa. They need exactly that and have buckets of cash. I read they've also got office guys who are from Arizona, so that might make talks even easier for TB.

Cleveland has almost $110m in cap space last I checked.

But yeah, don't see the Bengals going after anyone who we the fans would actually want or desire. Look forward to a Chykie Brown and an AJ Hawk.

Talking theoretically though, I am not sure. He'll probably command a lot more money than I would want to pay a guy who's going to turn 31 at the start of the season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 09:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cleveland has almost $110m in cap space last I checked.

But yeah, don't see the Bengals going after anyone who we the fans would actually want or desire. Look forward to a Chykie Brown and an AJ Hawk.

Talking theoretically though, I am not sure. He'll probably command a lot more money than I would want to pay a guy who's going to turn 31 at the start of the season.

Cleveland has cap space, but I'm expecting them to spend free agency on defensive backs and oline. They've also got to spend some money on receiver.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 02:22 AM)Benton Wrote: Cleveland has cap space, but I'm expecting them to spend free agency on defensive backs and oline. They've also got to spend some money on receiver.

Probably not on all three. They do have like two drafts worth of picks. It's actually pretty crazy. They have the 1st, 12th, 33rd, and 52nd picks in the first two rounds. This will be the time to see if their new FO is worth a damn.

I won't lie, I am actually pretty curious to see what they'll do with all their picks and money. (It's at least more interesting than seeing the Bengals draft an injured CB in the 1st, Margus Hunt's younger brother in the 2nd, and signing Jordan Palmer in FA. Ninja )

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 06:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: That's true, but I have to at least talk about possible signings.  It may not be a high chance, but if we lose big z they may use that money to sign a impact DE instead of a position they don't like to break the bank on.  He may also be interested on playing with a team that has Dunlap and Atkins knowing that they have a great chance of being a dominate line.  

There is NO CHANCE the Bengals make him an offer. None.

We'll be lucky to keep 2 of Zeitler, Whitworth, Kirkpatrick.

I agree though. Campbell is pretty awesome.
Reply/Quote
You'll likely see the Bengals sign a former 1st Round bust like Jarvis Jones and spin how he'll be a productive player here.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 02:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is NO CHANCE the Bengals make him an offer. None.

We'll be lucky to keep 2 of Zeitler, Whitworth, Kirkpatrick.

I agree though. Campbell is pretty awesome.

Make sure to take your meds and grab a box of tissues.  

Reply/Quote
Anyone who follows the Bengals knows they don't sign Tier 1 free agents to huge contracts. They'll be lucky to keep 2 of their big 3 free agents.

Plus, they'd never pay 3 defensive lineman huge contracts. 4 really when you factor in MJ.

Campbell is an awesome player and I'm a fan of the Miami Hurricanes so I'd love to have him...but that's not how this team operates.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 05:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: I just can't see why more people on these boards aren't pushing hard for this guy.  He's a 3 down lineman who can play both inside and on the edge with the measurable that we love.  If there was one signing that could improve this team more than any other in free agency its Campbell.

It is just so unlikely, that is all.

We don't go after players like this that push us over the top.

Same with the Poe thread.

Would love to see Calais in stripes but it is not happening.
Reply/Quote
Bengals will not sign any quality free agents who are in their prime

they might sign a guy about ready to retire or someone they get cheap on a one year contract who has psychological issues and has a bad reputation.

Been watching Mike Brown for a long time. This is not a hard prediction to make.
Reply/Quote
If it came down to it...I'd probably let Kirkpatrick walk...sign Campbell, and then sign a veteran to a 1 year deal.

I'd roll into the season with a DL of Campbell, Billings, Atkins, and Dunlap. With MJ either waived or with reduced snaps.

That would be a dominant pass rush. This team was at its best when it created pressure from just the Front 4.

Kirkpatrick is an above average CB best suited for man coverage. We play Zone here.

CB's would be Jones/Jackson/Dennard/Shaw/Benwikere/Veteran. A guy like Leon Hall played for $1.5 million last year. Find a veteran like that to add to the mix.

Then draft Rueben Foster who is drawing comparisons to Patrick Willis and the defense would rock.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have never signed a big time free agent and they're not going to start.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 05:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If it came down to it...I'd probably let Kirkpatrick walk...sign Campbell, and then sign a veteran to a 1 year deal.

I'd roll into the season with a DL of Campbell, Billings, Atkins, and Dunlap. With MJ either waived or with reduced snaps.

That would be a dominant pass rush. This team was at its best when it created pressure from just the Front 4.

Kirkpatrick is an above average CB best suited for man coverage. We play Zone here.

CB's would be Jones/Jackson/Dennard/Shaw/Benwikere/Veteran. A guy like Leon Hall played for $1.5 million last year. Find a veteran like that to add to the mix.

Then draft Rueben Foster who is drawing comparisons to Patrick Willis and the defense would rock.

I think even a guy like Brandon Carr may be worth a cheap veteran contract.  At 31 he has declined, but if there is any tread left we could get a good year out of him.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 07:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think even a guy like Brandon Carr may be worth a cheap veteran contract.  At 31 he has declined, but if there is any tread left we could get a good year out of him.

Yep. On defense I value a pass rush primarily. You can have all the good CB's you want (as evidence by all of our 1st Round picks) but without a pass rush...good QB's will pick a team apart.

The best chance at a guy like Campbell is to waive MJ. Then it comes down to Campbell only costing $5-6 million more. Much more reasonable then.

With that said...the Bengals usually don't do stuff like this.
Reply/Quote