Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Low market city and bias referee calls
It looked like NFL doesn't want low market cities to win case in point the Vikings 12-116 vs the Bengals 3-15 in penalty called and yards.

In the past, some members would whine about Cincy being a low market city and the calls going against them by the NFL and the referees.

Well, Minnesota is a lower market city compared to Cincinnati and by using the same logic, Minnesota got shafted including the "fumble" in overtime that turned the game.

Of course, I don't believe in this fallacy. But that is what I read from some of you members.

If that was true then NY and LA would be dominating NFL title Championships.

Maybe in the MLB there is bias against low market cities because of NY Yankee dominance.  [Image: whip2.gif]        Cool

But not in the NFL.

If that was true when was the last time the Jets made the SuperBowl.

The Bengals have appeared in more NFL title Championships than the New York Jets.

No, the Bengals won on Sunday because they were the better team.

Bias is not small market vs big market cities.

Bias is freaking Pittsburgh Stealer games where the NFL goes out the way for them.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not market size, it's fanbase size. Legacy teams like Pissburgh get all the calls. The Packers are probably the smallest market, but have a huge fan base. Same with the Patriots. And of course we are talking about questionable calls, and close calls. They can't not call the holds Minny was putting on Hendrickson and the rest of the D-line yesterday.... I mean, it's not like they're Pissburgh.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's not market size, it's fanbase size. Legacy teams like Pissburgh get all the calls. The Packers are probably the smallest market, but have a huge fan base. Same with the Patriots. And of course we are talking about questionable calls, and close calls. They can't not call the holds Minny was putting on Hendrickson and the rest of the D-line yesterday.... I mean, it's not like they're Pissburgh.

Sled21,

I agree with you on fanbase size. But many times here in the past I kept on reading about city market size and NY's NFL office would be making decisions against small-market teams and I would be shaking my head in disbelief.  Coming from NY, I would say then the Jets would be dominating the AFC. Which obviously is not true. 

Pissburgh does get all the calls. But what about Dallas? They also have a large fanbase size. And I hate to say this, but Minny has a larger fanbase size then Cincy even though Cincy has a larger market size. 
Reply/Quote
Everything we don't win is rigged. Oh, sorry I thought this was the P&R forum.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:06 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: It looked like NFL doesn't want low market cities to win case in point the Vikings 12-116 vs the Bengals 3-15 in penalty called and yards.

In the past, some members would whine about Cincy being a low market city and the calls going against them by the NFL and the referees.

Well, Minnesota is a lower market city compared to Cincinnati and by using the same logic, Minnesota got shafted including the "fumble" in overtime that turned the game.

Of course, I don't believe in this fallacy. But that is what I read from some of you members.

If that was true then NY and LA would be dominating NFL title Championships.

Maybe in the MLB there is bias against low market cities because of NY Yankee dominance.  Cool

But not in the NFL.

If that was true when was the last time the Jets made the SuperBowl.

The Bengals have appeared in more NFL title Championships than the New York Jets.

No, the Bengals won on Sunday because they were the better team.

Bias is not small market vs big market cities.

Bias is freaking Pittsburgh Stealer games where the NFL goes out the way for them.

Where did anyone said the refs were biased against the Vikings and for the Bengals?

People talked about a couple questionable calls like the fumble or Jefferson touchdown but where has someone talked about the rest of what you mentioned? People mentioned we got lucky for once and had some calls go our way but that's very far from saying they were biased for us and out to down the Vikings.

Half of their penalty yards were before the snap and the holds were so blatant my wife was able to call them. 
Reply/Quote
You all need to breed like rabbits in Cinci so you can become a huge market.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:41 AM)TheFan Wrote: Where did anyone said the refs were biased against the Vikings and for the Bengals?

People talked about a couple questionable calls like the fumble or Jefferson touchdown but where has someone talked about the rest of what you mentioned? People mentioned we got lucky for once and had some calls go our way but that's very far from saying they were biased for us and out to down the Vikings.

Half of their penalty yards were before the snap and the holds were so blatant my wife was able to call them. 

Mellow
No, not Sunday's game. Over the years I have read the whining on this forum and the one before it. Where all I read was about whining calls.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:42 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: You all need to breed like rabbits in Cinci so you can become a huge market.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 10:52 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: And I hate to say this, but Minny has a larger fanbase size then Cincy even though Cincy has a larger market size. 

According to this site that supposedly goes by Nielsen TV market size Minneapolis has a larger market size:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/

And according to Forbes they also are ranked higher in team value:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2021/08/05/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-2021-average-team-value-soars-to-35-billion-as-league-shrugs-off-pandemic-year/

More data:

Minneapolis-St. Paul TV Households 2020-21: 1,887,390 Greater Cincinnati TV Households 2020-21: 925,900

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The Vikings were false starting and straight up tackling pass rushers. Had to make those calls.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:18 PM)Destro Wrote: The Vikings were false starting and straight up tackling pass rushers. Had to make those calls.

Ohh, like I said after the beginning of my message. Where I said I don't believe in the fallacy of calls going against us because of small-market vs big-market or fanbase size unless it is the Stealers. Over the years I read about constant whining on this forum and its predecessor forum about NY and the refs have it in for small-market or small-fan based teams. I say phoey, case in point the Jets for example.  

We won the game fair and square, ohh but the Vikings might argue with us...

https://fansided.com/2021/09/12/dalvin-cook-fumble-vikings-robbed-video/

https://thevikingage.com/2020/12/13/nfl-minnesota-vikings-lose-tampa-bay-buccaneers-sunday/

https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/zimmer-kinda-blames-refs-for-loss-while-not-blaming-them
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 10:52 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Sled21,

I agree with you on fanbase size. But many times here in the past I kept on reading about city market size and NY's NFL office would be making decisions against small-market teams and I would be shaking my head in disbelief.  Coming from NY, I would say then the Jets would be dominating the AFC. Which obviously is not true. 

Pissburgh does get all the calls. But what about Dallas? They also have a large fanbase size. And I hate to say this, but Minny has a larger fanbase size then Cincy even though Cincy has a larger market size. 

Not even ol Rog can help that management team.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I miss when you were our resident meme guy. Mellow

To answer your post, I've never thought it was about city size, so much as fan base size.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh are "small market" but have gigantic fan bases. The NFL wants these teams to do well, so may give them more of the 50/50 calls. I don't believe the league is entirely rigged as that would be way too difficult to control. But sometimes just getting a few 50/50 calls can swing a couple games and suddenly you're a #2 seed instead of a #5 seed.

As far as games like Cincy vs Minny? I don't think the league gives 2 squats, so what happens is about as natural as it gets.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's a decades old, vast conspiracy against the Bengals or small market teams, but I wouldn't use one game as my key piece of evidence for it, either.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 07:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I miss when you were our resident meme guy. Mellow

To answer your post, I've never thought it was about city size, so much as fan base size.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh are "small market" but have gigantic fan bases. The NFL wants these teams to do well, so may give them more of the 50/50 calls. I don't believe the league is entirely rigged as that would be way too difficult to control. But sometimes just getting a few 50/50 calls can swing a couple games and suddenly you're a #2 seed instead of a #5 seed.

As far as games like Cincy vs Minny? I don't think the league gives 2 squats, so what happens is about as natural as it gets.

Hi Shake,

Now you going to make me cry. 

[Image: crying-cry.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bengals had a few questionable calls goes against them as well but is what it is. Ruling Joe Mixon short on the OT run forcing the Bengals to go for it on 4th down. Also the Jamarr Chase catch before the 4th down going for it up 21-7 appeared to be a bad spot. Yes we did get the benefit on many calls it does go both ways. However it’s only the losing team that you see complaining.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 06:43 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Bengals had a few questionable calls goes against them as well but is what it is. Ruling Joe Mixon short on the OT run forcing the Bengals to go for it on 4th down. Also the Jamarr Chase catch before the 4th down going for it up 21-7 appeared to be a bad spot. Yes we did get the benefit on many calls it does go both ways. However it’s only the losing team that you see complaining.

As much as folks are bashing Apple for his play (of which he mostly deserves) there was one PI call that I thought was very iffy. I believe it was the Tupou sack. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:06 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Bias is not small market vs big market cities.

Super Bowl XL is a prime example where everyone is a witness to that.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
It's really reputation more than market size.  A team's reputation is built by the media and benefits from a large market but even more so by a large national following.  If your reputation is that you're a bad team or a dirty team I think that affects the way the game is called.  You don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Reputation-wise the Vikings had been above the Bengals.  Maybe it's a wash now with the Bengals resurgent but I don't see it influencing anything.

The fumble was a typical bang-bang call that was probably wrong on the field and just couldn't be overturned because there was no clear view.  It happens all the time.  We gifted them a touchdown through stupidity and got a field goal back with a little luck. Que Sera, Sera.

As for the rest of the penalties, it's stupid to suggest they had anything to do with bias.  Most of them were not even arguable: false starts, alignment errors, blatant grabs.  Not a lot of room for interpretation.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 10:46 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Super Bowl XL is a prime example where everyone is a witness to that.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/top-ten-controversial-calls-super-bowl-xl-141436
Reply/Quote