Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callahan experience
https://www.bengals.com/news/five-fun-facts-about-brian-callahan

I'll admit although I'm 100% on the ZT train I've been a bit lukewarm about ZT calling the offense, guess it's just the old timer in me ?

But the more I read and hear about Callahan and the exposure he's had the more I like the paring of him and Taylor and does it really matter who's calling the plays on game day ?

I believe we're about to see a renaissance in our offense ! It has become very stale and dated especially the past two seasons. I think there's more to John Ross than we've seen and Mixon's potential has just had the surface scratched, even Gio has more to offer IMHO.

Me thinks there's going to be a whole new cat in the jungle next season.

:andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So far the only real hire I had a problem with was Turner. Callahan, seems like it was time for him to make this jump and I think he'll be great for Dalton and the Offense. He's one of the coaches we can point to that actually had some success.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with the offensive side of the ball minus Turner.

I'd rather Callahan call plays other than ZT though. I think coaches have a lot of responsibility as is. But, it still can work out.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: So far the only real hire I had a problem with was Turner. Callahan, seems like it was time for him to make this jump and I think he'll be great for Dalton and the Offense. He's one of the coaches we can point to that actually had some success.

Plus, we have essentially three QB coaches on the staff, which should be a good thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: Plus, we have essentially three QB coaches on the staff, which should be a good thing.

That's a lot of brainpower in one system.  Kinda brings an old memory to mind.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"  "The same thing that we do every night, Pinky.  Try to take over the world!"

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:22 PM)McC Wrote: Plus, we have essentially three QB coaches on the staff, which should be a good thing.

Not saying they'll do it in the 1st Round, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB as early as 2.

Actually, IF a guy that covet slips to our pick in 1...I wouldn't be sure if they drafted a QB.

I think the smart move is to go offensive line or LB though. But, your 1st year as a HC is the time to take a risk like QB or WR.
Reply/Quote
Yea, I'm with you on that. A young HC. Wish he'd just focus on being a HC. But they seem to think this is the new age way to go.

I'm old school too tho.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea, I'm with you on that. A young HC. Wish he'd just focus on being a HC. But they seem to think this is the new age way to go.

I'm old school too tho.

I think that newer people in jobs want to take on as much responsibility as they can and have trouble delegating...so I get it. To call the plays, he's going to have to totally trust his DC.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 01:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/five-fun-facts-about-brian-callahan

I'll admit although I'm 100% on the ZT train I've been a bit lukewarm about ZT calling the offense, guess it's just the old timer in me ?

But the more I read and hear about Callahan and the exposure he's had the more I like the paring of him and Taylor and does it really matter who's calling the plays on game day ?

I believe we're about to see a renaissance in our offense ! It has become very stale and dated especially the past two seasons. I think there's more to John Ross than we've seen and Mixon's potential has just had the surface scratched, even Gio has more to offer IMHO.

Me thinks there's going to be a whole new cat in the jungle next season.

:andy:

I've said it once already, these guys have been around the NFL and football a very long time.  They're more experienced than the average 30 somethings.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yea, I'm with you on that. A young HC. Wish he'd just focus on being a HC. But they seem to think this is the new age way to go.

I'm old school too tho.

Andy Reid been calling plays since Moby Dick was a minnow......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Andy Reid been calling plays since Moby Dick was a minnow......

LOL

Reply/Quote
I sometimes have to question claims that some 26 year old kid, maybe a QB coach to someone like Manning when someone like Hobson says he tutored him to the superbowl and makes it sound like Manning knew NOTHING about playing the position before Callahan came along.. (Actually I think it was Stafford he made the mention about), but c'mon.. Stafford's been around awhile himself with some credibility of his own. The claims just have the feel of dubiousness.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like the idea of a HC controlling the offense and calling plays. I think it allows for more consistency from the offense year to year.... just hope it’s consistently good. I’d also like to see Andy more in charge and audibling like in 2015 so our offense is our HC and veteran qb instead of constantly being overhauled by every new OC we get
Reply/Quote
I actually like Callahan.

His only year with Carr was Carr's career best when it comes to yardage and 2nd best when it comes to QB rating.
Matthew Stafford was with Callahan for two years. In one of those years, Stafford posted his best QB rating. In the other year? His 4th best. (Stafford has played for 9 seasons, 10 if you include the season he played 3 games)
Sure, 2015 was a rough year for Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler was the backup. But; Osweiler had his career best QB rating and YPG under Callahan
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

I'm old school too tho.

A lot of teams are getting help for the head coach with time management and challenges including the Steelers. Maybe that will be a role for coach Rosfeld.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I actually like Callahan.

His only year with Carr was Carr's career best when it comes to yardage and 2nd best when it comes to QB rating.
Matthew Stafford was with Callahan for two years. In one of those years, Stafford posted his best QB rating. In the other year? His 4th best. (Stafford has played for 9 seasons, 10 if you include the season he played 3 games)
Sure, 2015 was a rough year for Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler was the backup. But; Osweiler had his career best QB rating and YPG under Callahan

Good stuff Wolf

I think between Callahan and Taylor we're going to see some innovation for a change.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 02:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Andy Reid been calling plays since Moby Dick was a minnow......

And Abe Lincoln was a little boy.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And Abe Lincoln was a little boy.

And Moses had short hair.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Andy Reid was born a 35 year old man though. This was him in the punt/pass/kick contest. Look at the kid beside him in his age group!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Letting Andy call the offense at the line and also letting us run uptempo more would both help a lot.
Reply/Quote