Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callahan to Titans
(01-24-2024, 07:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: Which has nothing to do with what I said. The offense started to change before Burrow was injured, specifically once he was more or less fully past the calf. For example, the games against the Colts and 49ers had the offense breaking tendencies a good deal and showing different looks as well:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/they-were-just-guessing-bengals-broke-tendencies-mixed-up-colts-calling-out-plays/ar-AA1lptzh?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=84e7f9ac556746a684d09385a1c014e0&ei=58

I'm hoping we continue this - the moment you get the defense having to think and guess they slow down that critical step and the OL gets an edge.

The obvious answer is that the offense will continuously change year-to-year. The offense in 2020 was different from 2021 to 2022, so-on-and-so-forth. In 2021, Cincinnati played from under center quite a bit in comparison to the past couple of years. They continued this into the early part of 2022 where they ran into various issues, so they started operating out of gun more. This year, it is hard to say what exactly what they wanted to do but my guess is that they wanted to get back to more under center concepts but couldn't because of Burrow's injury early on. 

From a high level, the offense is likely going to look pretty similar to what Browning was running down the stretch. Heavy shotgun usage featuring RPOs with playaction and boots under center and a creative screen game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 08:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The obvious answer is that the offense will continuously change year-to-year. The offense in 2020 was different from 2021 to 2022, so-on-and-so-forth. In 2021, Cincinnati played from under center quite a bit in comparison to the past couple of years. They continued this into the early part of 2022 where they ran into various issues, so they started operating out of gun more. This year, it is hard to say what exactly what they wanted to do but my guess is that they wanted to get back to more under center concepts but couldn't because of Burrow's injury early on. 

From a high level, the offense is likely going to look pretty similar to what Browning was running down the stretch. Heavy shotgun usage featuring RPOs with playaction and boots under center and a creative screen game. 
You’re spot on… Oklahoma climate working for you.
The screen game with Brown could be dynamic. I was watching the blocking on screens this past weekend and blocking is so key. Give Brown a crease and wow. I know a lot hate the screens to Jamar but they’ve got to do it and his lower body strength is a mismatch for some of the corners.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 04:05 PM)pally Wrote:

Actually Carthon said I’d like to thank 1 person outside this organization. Zac’s ability to communicate with us about Brian is unmatched and I would be remiss if I didn’t say thanks to him for all the information he provided us. Brian got extremely emotional about Mike Brown and Zac.
https://www.youtube.com/live/7I6OJBmlx9w?si=zwWfKB8Zl8YC2T4n
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 05:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Actually Carthon said I’d like to thank 1 person outside this organization. Zac’s ability to communicate with us about Brian is unmatched and I would be remiss if I didn’t say thanks to him for all the information he provided us. Brian  got extremely emotional about Mike Brown and Zac.
https://www.youtube.com/live/7I6OJBmlx9w?si=zwWfKB8Zl8YC2T4n

I think it is interesting to see the staff Brian puts together.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think it is interesting to see the staff Brian puts together.

Agreed

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think it is interesting to see the staff Brian puts together.

Likewise. I watched his Titan's presser. He spoke from the heart and was engaging. He mentioned wanting fresh talent and veterans for his coaching staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 12:09 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Likewise. I watched his Titan's presser. He spoke from the heart and was engaging. He mentioned wanting fresh talent and veterans for his coaching staff.

We didn't get raided when Gruden, Zimmer, or Hue left, so I don't think we'll be raided on coaches. However, I'm really curious to see how many of our free agents wind up in Tennessee.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 12:09 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Likewise. I watched his Titan's presser. He spoke from the heart and was engaging. He mentioned wanting fresh talent and veterans for his coaching staff.

The Titan fans on their message board were impressed with him. They are very excited to have him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 08:54 AM)pally Wrote: The Titan fans on their message board were impressed with him. They are very excited to have him

https://www.tennessean.com/videos/sports/nfl/titans/2024/01/25/titans-coach-brian-callahanemotional-holds-back-tears-introductory-press-conference/72356452007/

Reply/Quote
Interesting that Callahan plans to follow Zac's model and call plays himself as head coach:

"New Tennessee Titans head coach Brian Callahan said he intends to call the plays on offense this season.

Callahan is entering his 14th season of coaching in the NFL, including the past five seasons as the Cincinnati Bengals' offensive coordinator. But Callahan didn't call the plays in Cincinnati.

He'll follow the same path as Zac Taylor, who called the plays as the Bengals' coach."

"The way we've worked in Cincinnati, very collaborative," Callahan said during his introductory news conference Thursday. "I've been with Zac for five years working with him as a primary playcaller and me as the offensive coordinator. I feel really great about the process."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39387424/new-titans-coach-brian-callahan-says-call-plays
Reply/Quote
ESPN mentioned their names as possible for the OC position under Callahan:

"The Titans haven't hired an offensive coordinator and have yet to submit requests to speak with any Bengals assistants. Two viable candidates include wide receivers coach Troy Walters and assistant QB coach Brad Kragthorpe."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39387424/new-titans-coach-brian-callahan-says-call-plays

The Tennessean also lists James Bettcher (Bengals LB coach) as a possible candidate for Callahan's staff.
Reply/Quote
31 year old Brad Kragthorpe who has never been anything but an assistant to the assistant coach with the Bengals...... it's questionable as to why we would even promote him to QBC.

Not sure where all this love for him is coming from.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 12:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: ESPN mentioned their names as possible for the OC position under Callahan:

"The Titans haven't hired an offensive coordinator and have yet to submit requests to speak with any Bengals assistants. Two viable candidates include wide receivers coach Troy Walters and assistant QB coach Brad Kragthorpe."

The Tennessean also lists James Bettcher (Bengals LB coach) as a possible candidate for Callahan's staff.

Walters will not leave
Reply/Quote
Why Sooner?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 01:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: 31 year old Brad Kragthorpe who has never been anything but an assistant to the assistant coach with the Bengals...... it's questionable as to why we would even promote him to QBC.

Not sure where all this love for him is coming from.

Bengals do try and promote from within where possible. is the most likely reason
Reply/Quote

This was really insightful.

Reply/Quote

It was interesting that they said teams were running different defenses to stop Burrow. Different than their norm. They had to have several game plans ready each game. They also are letting Joe much like Peyton Manning did have tons of latitude.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 03:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This was really insightful.

And what did you glean from it about the offense and coaches? Change any of your opinions or reinforce them?

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 01:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why Sooner?

It's better than Later? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote