Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling All Motor Heads or Small Engine Gurus (lawnmower question)
Let me start by saying I am not a mechanic or claim to be and just want my grass to be able to be mowed.

So I have been having problems with this mower for the past month and it wants to start sometimes and work and then was shutting off and would not restart for a couple hours. I researched some issues I was having and chalked it up as a dirty carburetor and fuel bowl, so I took it off and cleaned it. I put it back together and then topped the oil off because it was reading a little low and may have added a little too much as I was stupidly not being cautious. The lawnmower started right up after a few tries and then proceeded to run for about 15 minutes before just shutting off. After this occurred, every time I tried to start the mower and it made a popping sound and it omitted smoke out of the muffler and did not start. After getting the same result while trying every 10-15 minutes for a couple hours I noticed that the muffler had oil in it and that it was dripping out, but the air filter was bone dry on the other side of the carburetor. Long story short I took the plastic casing off the top of the mower and turned it by hand and can hear oil slosh around and it comes to the muffler, or at least I can tell oil. I have no idea what to do and do not have the money to take it to a repair shop at the moment and don't really want to because the mower is very old to begin with.

My question is, is this an easy fix or something that novice cannot even come close to fixing? If it is going to be expensive or a major job, I will probably chalk up my losses and buy a used mower locally. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
You did put the oil in the oil hole and not the gas hole, right? It just seems like a lot of oil you're talking about.

I would recommend draining the gas and oil out (pick a spot in your yard you really don't like or get some drip pans). Just make sure the oil doesn't drain into the gas when you flip it back over. Take the air filter off and buy a new one, or at least give the old one a good washing and let it air dry (don't be too rough with it if the filter is old, they tear easy after they start to harden). Put it back together and put some new gas and oil in it. If the filter was soaked in oil on one side — even if it was dry on the otehr— the motor probably wasn't getting enough air to crank.

For a push mower, there's not a lot to it. You can generally take it apart and put it back together in an hours with a few tools. My first week of a high school auto mechanics class consisted of taking apart a Briggs & Straton and putting it back together so you could pull it. You worked in two man teams and tried to get the lowest time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 04:34 PM)Benton Wrote: You did put the oil in the oil hole and not the gas hole, right? It just seems like a lot of oil you're talking about.

I would recommend draining the gas and oil out (pick a spot in your yard you really don't like or get some drip pans). Just make sure the oil doesn't drain into the gas when you flip it back over. Take the air filter off and buy a new one, or at least give the old one a good washing and let it air dry (don't be too rough with it if the filter is old, they tear easy after they start to harden). Put it back together and put some new gas and oil in it. If the filter was soaked in oil on one side — even if it was dry on the otehr— the motor probably wasn't getting enough air to crank.

For a push mower, there's not a lot to it. You can generally take it apart and put it back together in an hours with a few tools. My first week of a high school auto mechanics class consisted of taking apart a Briggs & Straton and putting it back together so you could pull it. You worked in two man teams and tried to get the lowest time.

No, I didn't put the oil in the gas tank. LMAO.

What I mean is, if it consists of taking apart the entire engine and replacing a gasket, I may run into some issues, not that I am Johnny Manziel. I just don't understand why there is oil in the muffler, unless the gasket blew or the crank case is ******.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 04:44 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: No, I didn't put the oil in the gas tank. LMAO.

What I mean is, if it consists of taking apart the entire engine and replacing a gasket, I may run into some issues, not that I am Johnny Manziel. I just don't understand why there is oil in the muffler, unless the gasket blew or the crank case is *****.

Is there a chance it overflowed when filling it and it soaked in from the outside? The oil should burn up before it makes it to the muffler. That's why I was thinking drain and replace. If your excess oil drained into the cylinder, you should be able to remove the muffler, let it drain out and then put it back together. You may have to run a cloth of some kind inside to clean up any excess. Just make sure not to leave any bits of cloth when you put the muffler back on.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 05:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Is there a chance it overflowed when filling it and it soaked in from the outside? The oil should burn up before it makes it to the muffler. That's why I was thinking drain and replace. If your excess oil drained into the cylinder, you should be able to remove the muffler, let it drain out and then put it back together. You may have to run a cloth of some kind inside to clean up any excess. Just make sure not to leave any bits of cloth when you put the muffler back on.

Yea, I removed the muffler earlier when I saw it coming out and cleaned it out and when I took the casing off the top and turned it by hand it appeared that there was oil coming out and is why I was wondering if it was a gasket. I'm more of a computer guy than a engine when it comes to fixing or rebuilding things, but am always eager to give it a go. Just kind of wanting to see if anyone can tell me what the issue most likely is, so I can get in there and fix it.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like oil in the cylinder, and you fouled the plug as a result. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Sounds like an old lawn mower my Dad had, it would run for a half hour and quit. I wish I could help but I would be in the same boat as you as I am not mechanically inclined lol.
Reply/Quote
Did you check the muffler belt?  Sometimes they stretch lose you know?  If one of them comes lose, it'll cause all sorts of problems in a motor.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 01:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sounds like oil in the cylinder, and you fouled the plug as a result. ThumbsUp

Nice, so I am going to guess I am S.O.L. on this one. 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 06:59 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Nice, so I am going to guess I am S.O.L. on this one. 

Nah.....so long as the piston ring is still good, you should be fine.  You can take a torch and burn the oil off the old plug and use it to burn the residual oil out of the cylinder and then replace the plug.....or get you a couple of new plugs and use one till the oil burns off and then replace it.  Once it stops sputtering and smoking, your cylinder is clear.

This is just speculation based on your description, fwiw.  Without tinkering myself, I can't be sure.  I don't mess with small engines much, but I do my own mechanic work on my own vehicles.....including an engine swap.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 02:53 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Let me start by saying I am not a mechanic or claim to be and just want my grass to be able to be mowed.

So I have been having problems with this mower for the past month and it wants to start sometimes and work and then was shutting off and would not restart for a couple hours. I researched some issues I was having and chalked it up as a dirty carburetor and fuel bowl, so I took it off and cleaned it. I put it back together and then topped the oil off because it was reading a little low and may have added a little too much as I was stupidly not being cautious. The lawnmower started right up after a few tries and then proceeded to run for about 15 minutes before just shutting off. After this occurred, every time I tried to start the mower and it made a popping sound and it omitted smoke out of the muffler and did not start. After getting the same result while trying every 10-15 minutes for a couple hours I noticed that the muffler had oil in it and that it was dripping out, but the air filter was bone dry on the other side of the carburetor. Long story short I took the plastic casing off the top of the mower and turned it by hand and can hear oil slosh around and it comes to the muffler, or at least I can tell oil. I have no idea what to do and do not have the money to take it to a repair shop at the moment and don't really want to because the mower is very old to begin with.

My question is, is this an easy fix or something that novice cannot even come close to fixing? If it is going to be expensive or a major job, I will probably chalk up my losses and buy a used mower locally. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you put gas in it? Mellow
Reply/Quote