Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam wins a playoff game and enters Super Bowl before we do under XXXX.
Newton's records.

Rookie records:
Most total yards by a rookie quarterback: 4,799.
Most total touchdowns by a rookie NFL player: 35 (21 pass, 14 rush).
First rookie quarterback in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.
First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season.
First rookie to throw for 400+ yards in his first career game
First rookie in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in back to back games, September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals and September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers
Along with Andy Dalton, the two made the first pair of rookie quarterbacks to make the Pro Bowl.

Other first place achievements - I removed any 2nd place or lower/other ubiquitous stats:
Most passing yards by a quarterback in debut game (422), September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals
Most passing yards by a quarterback in first two games (854), September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals and September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers
Most games in NFL history with a pass TD and a rush TD (31)
Only player in NFL history with at least 30 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns in same season
Most rushing touchdowns in single season by a quarterback (14), achieved on December 4, 2011 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Most combined yards in a player’s first five seasons (21,560)
First quarterback and fifth player in NFL history with at least 500 rushing yards, 5 rushing touchdowns, and 4.8 yards a carry in 5 consecutive NFL seasons
First quarterback in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in first career start, September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals
First quarterback in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in first two career starts, September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals and September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers
Fastest player to throw for 1,000 yards (at Arizona Cardinals, vs. Green Bay Packers, and vs. Jacksonville Jaguars)
First player in NFL history with at least five rushing touchdowns and five passing touchdowns in his first five games
First quarterback in NFL history with 100+ pass touchdowns and 25+ rush touchdowns in first five seasons
First player in NFL history with 4,000+ passing yards and 10+ rushing touchdowns in a season
First player in NFL history with 4,000+ passing yards and 500+ rushing yards in a season
First quarterback in NFL history with at least 500 yards rushing in first two seasons
First player in NFL history to have over 250 passing yards and over 100 rushing yards with a passing touchdown and rushing touchdown in a game (vs. Falcons on September 12, 2012 - 287 yards passing and 2 touchdowns, 116 yards rushing and 1 touchdown and vs. Bengals on October 11, 2014)
First player to have 30 passing touchdowns and 20 rushing touchdowns in first two seasons
Highest average yards of total offense, career (293.7)
First starting quarterback to win the NFC South in consecutive seasons (2013–2015)
First player in NFL history with 50 passing touchdowns and 25 rushing touchdowns in his first three seasons
First player in NFL history with 10,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards in his first three seasons
Most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in his first four seasons (33 rushing touchdowns)
First player in NFL history with 10,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in his first four seasons
First player in NFL history to have at least 3,000 passing yards and 500 rushing yards in five consecutive seasons
First quarterback in NFL history to rush for 100+ yards and pass for 300+ yards with 5 touchdowns in a single game (12/20/2015).
First player in NFL history to with 100+ rush yards and 5 pass touchdowns in a single game
First player with 3,500 passing yards, 20 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns in a single season (2011, 2015)
First quarterback in NFL history with 10+ rushing touchdowns in multiple NFL seasons (2011, 2015)
Most games in NFL history with at least 200 passing yards and 80 rushing yards with multiple touchdown passes and a rushing touchdown (4 games)
Most touchdown passes from a player from Auburn
First quaterback to throw 300+ yards and rush for 2 TD's, postseason game
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 10:07 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Please. Cam has a 1st round WR, a 1st round TE, and a 1st round RB.  With a 3rd round TE and a 2nd round rookie WR... not to mention some veterans that have played decently on other teams in their career.

Cam has a lot of talent surrounding him.

Add in that they are a run first team and he doesn't need great talent at WR, only solid talent, which is what he has.

No one expected them to finish in the bottom of the NFCS, it was just a possibility since the whole division isn't exactly a powerhouse.

Way to mask the truth with stating only their draft position. His weapons are Ted Ginn, a (up until this season) monumental draft bust who has hopped from team to team. Philly Brown an undrafted WR from OSU. A solid TE in Olson, but was far from elite and Jonathan Stewart, talented, but oft injured. Those are his starting weapons. Now going into the season, I think there is little doubt he had the weakest talent of any team in the NFL on paper. The fact they have flourished is undoubtedly in large part down to Cam. 

(01-25-2016, 10:25 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It's easy to keep it light when you are 17-1. That one loss however, he spent a majority of the game and after sulking. 

How should he react? Be happy? Or present himself to the media like every other QB? Pretend it doesn't hurt and only look forward to the next game?

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 01:02 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Way to mask the truth with stating only their draft position. His weapons are Ted Ginn, a (up until this season) monumental draft bust who has hopped from team to team. Philly Brown an undrafted WR from OSU. A solid TE in Olson, but was far from elite and Jonathan Stewart, talented, but oft injured. Those are his starting weapons. Now going into the season, I think there is little doubt he had the weakest talent of any team in the NFL on paper. The fact they have flourished is undoubtedly in large part down to Cam. 

How should he react? Be happy? Or present himself to the media like every other QB? Pretend it doesn't hurt and only look forward to the next game?

Yup. There's no doubt that Cam had the weakest group of "weapons" around him in the NFL this year. Olsen is great, but those WRs? Blech. Funchess early on looks like a bust. Ginn hasn't been used much since his days in Miami (hint - a long time ago). Cam sure could've used Benjamin this year.

As for what Cam did in college, are we really going to act like "receiving stolen ptoperty" is a big deal? All that means is that he bought a stolen item (laptop) from someone. It's possible he didn't even find out it was stolen until after he bought it. I bet most of the people on these boards have "received stolen property" unknowingly or not.

Even if you want to take a minor charge from 6 years ago seriously, what has Cam done since? He's been a straight arrow and he's constantly doing nice things for people. I really have to wonder about people that genuinely hate the guy. There's nothing there to hate about the guy. Nothing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The whole Cam vs Dalton debate is a little ridiculous.

Obviously both guys have been great.

The difference is Cam is just a football player. Both are QBs, but Cam does things other players only wish they could do. It's like having a LB at the QB position.

Overall, I think Andy probably understands route concepts better and has a better feel for how to pass against certain looks, but Cam can make throws and run option plays that Andy (and other QBs) could only dream of doing.

I believe both guys will be the best QBs of their conferences in the near future.

So it can be stated like this. Andy is the better QB, but Cam is the better football player, does that make sense?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yup. There's no doubt that Cam had the weakest group of "weapons" around him in the NFL this year. Olsen is great, but those WRs? Blech. Funchess early on looks like a bust. Ginn hasn't been used much since his days in Miami (hint - a long time ago). Cam sure could've used Benjamin this year.

As for what Cam did in college, are we really going to act like "receiving stolen ptoperty" is a big deal? All that means is that he bought a stolen item (laptop) from someone. It's possible he didn't even find out it was stolen until after he bought it. I bet most of the people on these boards have "received stolen property" unknowingly or not.

Even if you want to take a minor charge from 6 years ago seriously, what has Cam done since? He's been a straight arrow and he's constantly doing nice things for people. I really have to wonder about people that genuinely hate the guy. There's nothing there to hate about the guy. Nothing.

Absolutely. Classy on and off the field, a gifted player who has matured immensely and become an MVP lock. He's making the NFL accessible to a different demographic, and everytime he hands a ball to a kid he makes their world. I'd consider myself blessed if we had him on the team.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 11:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: AZ turned over six times which was the only reason they lost. |

Scam is an amoral piece of crap who only avoided prison because his college had the court in its pocket, and anyone who roots for him is also an amoral piece of crap.

If you are talking about Cam purchasing a stolen computer, this could have started as a felony charge for a theft over $300 but under the amount for a second degree felony.  It would be a third degree felony charge to start off with.   It would be very rare for anyone to get the max punishment of 5 years in prison or 5 years probation, which is what Florida law says is the max punishment for this.  Getting the pre trial diversion program on a first offense like this is very common, and not because of any special agreement with the college. Getting the charge reduced to a misdemeanor charge is also common on a first offense.   I have to get court records of offenses for my job and I see this all the time.  Highly unlikely anyone would be in prison for this crime on a first offense, especially if they had a decent attorney.  It is also very common for college and high school kids to make mistakes like this, and judges would and do hesitate to ruin their whole lives over it.   Pre trial diversion programs were created for purposes like these.  They are used often and not used to placate any college.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:51 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: If you are talking about Cam purchasing a stolen computer, this could have started as a felony charge for a theft over $300 but under the amount for a second degree felony.  It would be a third degree felony charge to start off with.   It would be very rare for anyone to get the max punishment of 5 years in prison or 5 years probation, which is what Florida law says is the max punishment for this.  Getting the pre trial diversion program on a first offense like this is very common, and not because of any special agreement with the college. Getting the charge reduced to a misdemeanor charge is also communion a first offense.   I have to get court records of offenses for my job and I see this all the time.  Highly unlikely anyone would be in prison for this crime on a first offense, especially if they had a decent attorney.  It is also very common for college and high school kids to make mistakes like this, and judges would and do hesitate to ruin their whole lives over it.   Pre trial diversion programs were created for purposes like these.  They are used often and not used to placate any college.
Just ask a certain former Ravens RB...
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 11:34 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Different for sure.  Newton appears to have a better O-line than ours.

Newton's  running game is much better also.  Newton can do more but Dalton is a better passer.

I will say Newton's intangibles make those around him better, ability to run, etc.  Not sure we can say the same for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 01:02 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Way to mask the truth with stating only their draft position. His weapons are Ted Ginn, a (up until this season) monumental draft bust who has hopped from team to team. Philly Brown an undrafted WR from OSU. A solid TE in Olson, but was far from elite and Jonathan Stewart, talented, but oft injured. Those are his starting weapons. Now going into the season, I think there is little doubt he had the weakest talent of any team in the NFL on paper. The fact they have flourished is undoubtedly in large part down to Cam. 

Seriously?  This is your take?  "His receivers are garbage"?

By your standards, Marvin Jones - Garbage.  Mo Sanu - Garbage.  AJ Green - overrated.

If you think Ginn isn't a good WR then your ability to assess talent is in question.

Miami - a terrible franchise that didn't know how to use him.  He is fast. He takes off the top of the defense.  Of course if you only send him deep with a QB that can't throw deep, his stats will reflect that. 

SF - another organization that didn't have a QB that could throw deep. 

AZ - didn't have Palmer to throw to him when he was there.

Ginn developed a reputation as a WR that "couldn't hold onto the ball" due to people listening to the media.  I can't tell you how many times this season, the analyst would say that he has a problem with dropped passes, only for him to make a great catch.  Any time he dropped a pass, you would hear them get ready to pile on that he drops passes, only for him to come back and make the catch.

Does he catch everything?  No, but find me a WR who does.  Does his speed give him an element that helps the Panthers?  Yep.  His ability to go deep means that the defenses have to account for him, because if they don't and he is Cam's primary target, you now have a guy completely wide open for Cam to throw to.

The fact that you think Funchess, a rookie WR, "looked like a bust" is very telling on how much you have bought into the Cam hype.

Stewart hasn't been as injured as you make him out to be.  Olsen is one of the top TEs in the league.

Want some proof that scheme is important to how a player performs?  Jimmy Graham, great in NO, not so great in Seattle.

Matt Cassell tore it up in NE when he covered for Brady - not so good elsewhere

Mike Wallace was good in Pittsburgh - hasn't wowed since leaving.

TJ Housh - was a favorite Bengal - then failed in Seattle and Baltimore.

I could go on.  I hope you get the point.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The whole Cam vs Dalton debate is a little ridiculous.

Obviously both guys have been great.

The difference is Cam is just a football player. Both are QBs, but Cam does things other players only wish they could do. It's like having a LB at the QB position.

Overall, I think Andy probably understands route concepts better and has a better feel for how to pass against certain looks, but Cam can make throws and run option plays that Andy (and other QBs) could only dream of doing.

I believe both guys will be the best QBs of their conferences in the near future.

So it can be stated like this. Andy is the better QB, but Cam is the better football player, does that make sense?

I don't get why anyone wants to compare him to Dalton.  I also don't have an issue with his college infractions either.  He has done great for Charlotte and especially for the kids.

However, he does have an ego.  I personally don't like the showboating.  This year he deserved it and I would have backed him if he only showboated this year.  However, he was showboating ever since coming into the league.  Kinda like Hill.  Last year, no issue with the TD celebrations.  This year?  I wanted him to stop.  He didn't earn the right to celebrate.

I am comparing him to Tebow.  Since they play very similar styles.  However the difference is that Cam has had a HC and scheme that allows him to play like Cam, instead of trying to force him to play like traditional QBs.

Think about this.  Manziel had 1 good drive against us and it was due to him playing his style.  Pettine, when asked, stated that he wants Manziel to stop playing Manziel style and learn to play Pettine style.

Guys like Cam, Wilson, Kaep, Tebow and Manziel, don't play the traditional QB.  They are like Ben R. and scramble and improvise.  Guys like Cam, Tebow and Wilson will run for the 1st down.  Guys like Kaep and Manziel and Ben will often throw to a WR that broke off his route.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 12:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: It has to do with the lack of any moral center. Remember this is the guy who only avoided prison for felony theft because the court bent over backwards to be nice to his college. Then the NFL has done nothing but plug him nonstop since he came into the league and covered for his boorish behavior,  his temper tantrums and being a horrific role model.

Have to agree with this  ThumbsUp

IMHO he has zero leadership.  If he has a turnover he sits on the bench with a towel covering his head. Did anyone see him running into the defensive huddle last week - the D just looked at him like are you crazy.  

He is definitely a better athlete than Andy, has a better arm and is a better runner - although I question how long he would last doing that in the AFC North.  

I question his ability to read defenses.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:49 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Really?  I am "very wrong". 

Then you go on to say that Cam USED to be a 1 read QB, but "got better" this season? 

He didn't get better, the OC did better by masking his biggest weakness.  He is still a 1 read QB, haven't seen any video evidence to change that.  Every once is a while, when a play breaks down, he might see an open WR late and throw to him, but that is hardly reading the defenses and going through his progressions.

When the OC draws up plays that have different primary targets for each play, it isn't so easy to read that for defenses.  For instance one play, Ginn is the primary target, the next, Kory Brown, then Ginn again, then Olsen.  This gives the illusion that Cam is reading the defenses and is spreading the ball around, but in reality it is the play call.  Once Cam holds the ball for 4 seconds, he takes off running.

I said when the talk of Cam being MVP first started, a Meme was created that compared their stats.  How accurate, who knows, however I did find this...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/newton-and-kaepernick-are-basically-the-same-player-except-for-the-record-1446593659

Now another thing to address.  The talent around Newton is far from scrub level.  Ginn was a 1st round pick and while he isn't AJ Green, he isn't Greg Little either.  Funchess may be a rookie, but he was still a highly rated WR and has played as good as Sanu did his rookie season. Olsen is a 1st round TE, and has played as such, Stewart is a 1st round RB.

OLine?- He has a 1st rounder (Oher), 2nd rounder (Kalil), 3rd rounder (Trai Turner)

Add in Ed Dickson a 3rd round TE, and guys like Crotchery (who is a vet and has played for some good teams) and Philly Brown, and he has talent around him. 

Newton is far from doing it all himself. 

Funny, those years that Carolina didn't make the playoffs, everyone said they needed a defense.  They finally get the defense, and everyone claims it is Cam that makes the Panthers successful.  If Cam was so good, then why didn't he lead his team to the playoffs and even win in them, before last year?

The Panthers have had a much easier schedule this year.  AFCS - NFCS - NFCE, plus a struggling Seahawks and GB teams, they were able to win the games in front of them, which they couldn't control, but their path was not nearly as tough as some of the other teams in the league.  Denver has actually had a tougher path to the SB.

Then both of the teams they have had to face had to travel from the west coast to play them in the playoffs?  Seriously?  It would be highly embarrassing for them if they didn't make the SB.

He got better as his seasons progressed. Look at the difference between Kaepernick and Newton. Kaepernick is still a 1 read player and still struggled immensely. Newton has matured over the seasons.

So, you just said that Ginn is a primary target, and then Newton has to go through his progressions before he runs. You literally just said that. And if Newton only did that, defenses would have a much easier time beating him and figuring out his tendencies. He looked to another receiver? Get ready for him to run.

I'm not signing in to a site when I can look at the stats right on ESPN.

Ginn has never played like a 1st round WR. He's a bust. He's only eclipsed 500 receiving yards 3 times since 2007. And only had more than 700 yards twice. Never eclipsed  790 yards. Only reason he's had a decent season is BECAUSE of Newton. Ginn has a case of the drops too.

Devin Funchess was a tight end who converted to a WR. Almost half of his yards came in the last game.

You're putting too much emphasis on where people were drafted, rather than how they've played. Cam is the MVP because he played the best in the league. Period. And it wasn't the talent around him on offense. It was all him and Stewart. They're all pretty average receivers, and you can't even deny that. They have speed, but no one is going to out-muscle for a catch or make an incredible diving catch or be the best route runner.

It's not just Cam, but if he's not on that offense there's no way they're 15-1. Dominant defense, but Newton adds a dynamic that no one else does.

They beat a Texans team the Bengals lost to. They beat an Eagles team the Patriots lost to. They beat a Colts team the Broncos lost to. They destroyed the Cardinals and beat the Seahawks twice. Meanwhile I'm sure you were just as excited when the Bengals beat them. They were no push overs.

Don't even give the "west coast teams traveling" bull crap. Teams have to travel to the west coast too. That has little to no effect on the games in all actuality.

Cam Newton is much better than you give him credit for. He has average weapons outside of Olsen. He is that offense. Just because you think the offense is simple, doesn't mean it is. If that were the case, teams would be able to shut down Newton like they used to.

Plus, I'd rather trust other actual NFL analysts and experts rather than a Wall Street article from a guy who really only talks Fantasy Football rather than actual game tape. I mean, he talked about Adrian Peterson no longer being AD and basically being washed up: http://rotoviz.com/2015/11/adrian-peterson-is-no-longer-ad-michael-salfino-rotoviz-radio-92/

Funny how one had a 3:1 TD to INT ratio with 10 more rushing yards and became MVP. And the other led the league in rushing and tied for the most rushing TDs this season. Oh. And Newton was right behind him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 04:26 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Ginn developed a reputation as a WR that "couldn't hold onto the ball" due to people listening to the media.  I can't tell you how many times this season, the analyst would say that he has a problem with dropped passes, only for him to make a great catch.  Any time he dropped a pass, you would hear them get ready to pile on that he drops passes, only for him to come back and make the catch.

Does he catch everything?  No, but find me a WR who does. 

Ginn had 10 drops this season. Ranking him 2nd in the NFL in drops.

However, he only had 44 receptions. Meaning he dropped a pass 10% of the time he touched the ball. Only player who caught more than 40 passes that had that had a higher drop percentage was DeMarco Murray. But he also dropped less balls.

Ginn was targeted 96 times as well.

Last year He dropped the ball 11.6% of the time.

When in an actual big time receiving role, he drops the ball.

More stats as to how average Tedd Ginn is:
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/246804/ted-ginn-jr/#Dropped%20Passes$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 11:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: Sorry but they are winning in spite of not because of Newton. You need to actually look at the games.

Seattle only lost because they had a terrible first quarter with multiple turnovers. And Arizona is doing the same (5 turnovers).

Scam Newton has been an embarrassment to professional sports ever since the NFL looked the other way at the criminal conduct in college.

This might be the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 04:26 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Seriously?  This is your take?  "His receivers are garbage"?

By your standards, Marvin Jones - Garbage.  Mo Sanu - Garbage.  AJ Green - overrated.

If you think Ginn isn't a good WR then your ability to assess talent is in question.

Miami - a terrible franchise that didn't know how to use him.  He is fast. He takes off the top of the defense.  Of course if you only send him deep with a QB that can't throw deep, his stats will reflect that. 

SF - another organization that didn't have a QB that could throw deep. 

AZ - didn't have Palmer to throw to him when he was there.

Ginn developed a reputation as a WR that "couldn't hold onto the ball" due to people listening to the media.  I can't tell you how many times this season, the analyst would say that he has a problem with dropped passes, only for him to make a great catch.  Any time he dropped a pass, you would hear them get ready to pile on that he drops passes, only for him to come back and make the catch.

Does he catch everything?  No, but find me a WR who does.  Does his speed give him an element that helps the Panthers?  Yep.  His ability to go deep means that the defenses have to account for him, because if they don't and he is Cam's primary target, you now have a guy completely wide open for Cam to throw to.

The fact that you think Funchess, a rookie WR, "looked like a bust" is very telling on how much you have bought into the Cam hype.

Stewart hasn't been as injured as you make him out to be.  Olsen is one of the top TEs in the league.

Want some proof that scheme is important to how a player performs?  Jimmy Graham, great in NO, not so great in Seattle.

Matt Cassell tore it up in NE when he covered for Brady - not so good elsewhere

Mike Wallace was good in Pittsburgh - hasn't wowed since leaving.

TJ Housh - was a favorite Bengal - then failed in Seattle and Baltimore.

I could go on.  I hope you get the point.

The fact that you're pumping up Ted Ginn says a lot. The consensus on Ginn for the last 8 years is that he was a bust. Ginn has earned his reputation for drops. This year he had the 2nd most drops in the NFL (10) and the worst drop % of any WR with more than 30 catches:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/07/ted-ginns-a-ball-dropper-but-he-makes-plays-too/

Here's a funny video made by a Dolfan that highlights some of his ugliest drops:

He has terrible hands and that's a primary reason he only started 5 of 72 games from 2010 through 2014. He's been viewed as a return specialist/4th WR for 5 years now. The Panthers are only leaning on him out of necessity. He's made some plays, but he's only made a catch on 45.4% of his targets (that's an AWFUL percentage) with the worst drop % among WR's. He's not a good starting option. Period.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It almost looks like I copied Wolfkaosun, but it took me 15-20 minutes to make my post and he dropped his post while I was making mine.
Reply/Quote
Cam vs Andy is a tough comparison . They run the whole offense even running game through Cam. So he will put up gawdy stats. He still has a tendency to skymail balls which is why Carolina gets big WRs and let steve smith go.

It is funny to look at that draft though. Cam as Andy are by far in the league of their own. Just different types of qb's. And had cam dropped to us in the draft we would have taken him instead of AJ.

[Image: AEA6g6z.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 05:58 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He got better as his seasons progressed. Look at the difference between Kaepernick and Newton. Kaepernick is still a 1 read player and still struggled immensely. Newton has matured over the seasons.

So, you just said that Ginn is a primary target, and then Newton has to go through his progressions before he runs. You literally just said that. And if Newton only did that, defenses would have a much easier time beating him and figuring out his tendencies. He looked to another receiver? Get ready for him to run.

I'm not signing in to a site when I can look at the stats right on ESPN.

Ginn has never played like a 1st round WR. He's a bust. He's only eclipsed 500 receiving yards 3 times since 2007. And only had more than 700 yards twice. Never eclipsed  790 yards. Only reason he's had a decent season is BECAUSE of Newton. Ginn has a case of the drops too.

Devin Funchess was a tight end who converted to a WR. Almost half of his yards came in the last game.

You're putting too much emphasis on where people were drafted, rather than how they've played. Cam is the MVP because he played the best in the league. Period. And it wasn't the talent around him on offense. It was all him and Stewart. They're all pretty average receivers, and you can't even deny that. They have speed, but no one is going to out-muscle for a catch or make an incredible diving catch or be the best route runner.

It's not just Cam, but if he's not on that offense there's no way they're 15-1. Dominant defense, but Newton adds a dynamic that no one else does.

They beat a Texans team the Bengals lost to. They beat an Eagles team the Patriots lost to. They beat a Colts team the Broncos lost to. They destroyed the Cardinals and beat the Seahawks twice. Meanwhile I'm sure you were just as excited when the Bengals beat them. They were no push overs.

Don't even give the "west coast teams traveling" bull crap. Teams have to travel to the west coast too. That has little to no effect on the games in all actuality.

Cam Newton is much better than you give him credit for. He has average weapons outside of Olsen. He is that offense. Just because you think the offense is simple, doesn't mean it is. If that were the case, teams would be able to shut down Newton like they used to.

Plus, I'd rather trust other actual NFL analysts and experts rather than a Wall Street article from a guy who really only talks Fantasy Football rather than actual game tape. I mean, he talked about Adrian Peterson no longer being AD and basically being washed up: http://rotoviz.com/2015/11/adrian-peterson-is-no-longer-ad-michael-salfino-rotoviz-radio-92/

Funny how one had a 3:1 TD to INT ratio with 10 more rushing yards and became MVP. And the other led the league in rushing and tied for the most rushing TDs this season. Oh. And Newton was right behind him.

Reading comprehension is lost on you I see...

With regards to PRIMARY WRs, the Panthers primary is dictated by the PLAY call.  Where in most traditional set ups, the PRIMARY is usually the #1 WR. 

In our set up, Green is the PRIMARY WR. Megatron, Jordy Nelson are the primaries in their offenses.  So no matter the play, they are the ones the QB looks to first.  If the primary is covered, then you progress to the next target and so on and so forth.  Which is why everyone was so hard on Dalton for a while.  He would still throw to Green (the PRIMARY) even when Jones and Sanu were WIDE OPEN and not go through his projections.

The Panthers don't operate like that.  ONE play Ginn might be the primary target, the NEXT play Brown will be the primary target, the NEXT play the primary target is Olsen and the NEXT play it could be anyone of those guys or the RB.  The design of the play is what dictates the PRIMARY WR, not the depth chart of the WR core.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The fact that you're pumping up Ted Ginn says a lot. The consensus on Ginn for the last 8 years is that he was a bust. Ginn has earned his reputation for drops. This year he had the 2nd most drops in the NFL (10) and the worst drop % of any WR with more than 30 catches:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/07/ted-ginns-a-ball-dropper-but-he-makes-plays-too/

Here's a funny video made by a Dolfan that highlights some of his ugliest drops:

He has terrible hands and that's a primary reason he only started 5 of 72 games from 2010 through 2014. He's been viewed as a return specialist/4th WR for 5 years now. The Panthers are only leaning on him out of necessity. He's made some plays, but he's only made a catch on 45.4% of his targets (that's an AWFUL percentage) with the worst drop % among WR's. He's not a good starting option. Period.

You really have bought into the media hype.  I bet you think the Bengals are dirty players too.

I remember one year where Green had the highest drops in the AFC north.  Must make him a terrible WR.

Ginn has solid hands and is best used as a deep threat WR.  His hands are so good that he is on the Hands team, he has been used as a punt and kickoff returner.  Can't have terrible hands to be on those jobs. 

His biggest knock is his route running ability.  He doesn't run good routes, but hey, you go ahead and focus on his hands.  Since he is a speedster he is the guy that you send out deep, just because he is going deep doesn't mean he is the primary target, however the defenses don't know that, so they have to account for him.  Which means the primary WR will be open.  However, if the primary isn't open and Newton doesn't think he can get it to him, he doesn't see Ginn deep, he takes off running.

Seriously if Ginn was so bad and terrible, the Panthers would have lost more games.  Cam doesn't make Ginn catch passes if he has a drop problem.  That is something that can't be fixed by other players.  Logic isn't on your side in this. PERIOD.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 06:07 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Ginn had 10 drops this season. Ranking him 2nd in the NFL in drops.

However, he only had 44 receptions. Meaning he dropped a pass 10% of the time he touched the ball. Only player who caught more than 40 passes that had that had a higher drop percentage was DeMarco Murray. But he also dropped less balls.

Ginn was targeted 96 times as well.

Last year He dropped the ball 11.6% of the time.

When in an actual big time receiving role, he drops the ball.

More stats as to how average Tedd Ginn is:
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/246804/ted-ginn-jr/#Dropped%20Passes$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

really stats?  Stats can be very misleading...

Ted Ginn - 44 catches  for 739 yrds at 16.8 per.  10 TDs (that is a good year) 10 at more than 20 plus, 5 at 40 plus and 36 for a 1st down.

Guess how many fumbles he has?  For a guy that has terrible hands, he has 0 fumbles, and only 3 in his ENTIRE career.

So stop.  His hands are fine.  The route running isn't his greatest strength.
Reply/Quote