Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Hill get 1,000 yards rushing ???
(11-25-2016, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes he will average way more than 12 attempts per game. He's averaged 13.5 per game with Gio. Without Gio, I foresee around 18 attempts per game. 

Also, Hill is not going to average 2.0 ypc. He's currently averaging 4.6. IMO, you are drastically overestimating not only how much a safety will be in the box (Dalton has proven he can get it done without AJ Green) as well as the impact that would have on Hill. Sure, moving the safety down will help opposing defenses, but no Hill is not going to average a horrific 2.0 per carry. 3.5 is more realistic.

So if Hill averages 3.5 ypc on 18 carries per game, that comes out to 378 yards in 6 games, which would give him 1001 yards on the season. I was actually figuring this out while writing this post and I'm surprised it's that close. Either way, I think 1000 yards is very realistic.

OK, fair enough on all points.  You did catch me exaggerating a bit (the frustration of this year is catching up with me).  I guess more than anything I don't see why it would really matter whether Hill hits 1,000 yards or not, other than to achieve a statistical 'benchmark'.  Whether he ends up with 1,001 yards, or misses it by a few on the under, this season has been a HUGE disappointment for our Oline and certainly also our running attack.  Even if he hits 1,000 yards this year, unless we win out and Hill scores about 6 more touchdowns, I would have a hard time arguing that he has had a good year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I'll add that I do not like Zampese using Hill on east and west plays or slow developing rinky dink....I like Hill POUNDING THE ROCK like a Benson or a Pete Johnson....POWER RUNNING....POWER RUNNING....AND MORE POWER RUNNING....UP THE GUT, OFF TACKLE, OVER THE GUARDS....BUT HARD CORE POWER FOOTBALL. ...HILL LINING UP BEHIND DALTON, NOT TO HIS SIDE.......POWER RUNNING....FIRE OFF AND HIT THE HOLE.....HEAD KNOCKING SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL.....THAT is what HILL is good at......Get Hewitt in their as a blocking Fullback......SMASH MOUTH....POWER RUNS.....less of the Zampese pussycat trick plays.

YES! YES! YES!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I'll add that I do not like Zampese using Hill on east and west plays or slow developing rinky dink....I like Hill POUNDING THE ROCK like a Benson or a Pete Johnson....POWER RUNNING....POWER RUNNING....AND MORE POWER RUNNING....UP THE GUT, OFF TACKLE, OVER THE GUARDS....BUT HARD CORE POWER FOOTBALL. ...HILL LINING UP BEHIND DALTON, NOT TO HIS SIDE.......POWER RUNNING....FIRE OFF AND HIT THE HOLE.....HEAD KNOCKING SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL.....THAT is what HILL is good at......Get Hewitt in their as a blocking Fullback......SMASH MOUTH....POWER RUNS.....less of the Zampese pussycat trick plays.

This. This this thisity this. The Bengals need to stop overthinking and just let their players play football. So much more fun to watch. And Hill himself needs to be sure he's doing more running and hit the holes instead of prancing around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes he will average way more than 12 attempts per game. He's averaged 13.5 per game with Gio. Without Gio, I foresee around 18 attempts per game. 

Also, Hill is not going to average 2.0 ypc. He's currently averaging 4.6. IMO, you are drastically overestimating not only how much a safety will be in the box (Dalton has proven he can get it done without AJ Green) as well as the impact that would have on Hill. Sure, moving the safety down will help opposing defenses, but no Hill is not going to average a horrific 2.0 per carry. 3.5 is more realistic.

So if Hill averages 3.5 ypc on 18 carries per game, that comes out to 378 yards in 6 games, which would give him 1001 yards on the season. I was actually figuring this out while writing this post and I'm surprised it's that close. Either way, I think 1000 yards is very realistic.
A thousand yards used to be a great milestone but don't think it is that lofty any longer. I would be interested how far down the list 1001 yards would be if all RBs continue at their current pace. I'm guessing the 25th percentile at best for Hill.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 03:32 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: OK, fair enough on all points.  You did catch me exaggerating a bit (the frustration of this year is catching up with me).  I guess more than anything I don't see why it would really matter whether Hill hits 1,000 yards or not, other than to achieve a statistical 'benchmark'.  Whether he ends up with 1,001 yards, or misses it by a few on the under, this season has been a HUGE disappointment for our Oline and certainly also our running attack.  Even if he hits 1,000 yards this year, unless we win out and Hill scores about 6 more touchdowns, I would have a hard time arguing that he has had a good year. 

Totally agree. It's just something to talk about when your team is losing.

(11-25-2016, 05:02 PM)Derrick Wrote: A thousand yards used to be a great milestone but don't think it is that lofty any longer. I would be interested how far down the list 1001 yards would be if all RBs continue at their current pace. I'm guessing the 25th percentile at best for Hill.

I think you're overestimating how many RBs hit 1000 yards these days. Hill currently ranks 15th in yardage. Only 15 RBs are on pace for 1000, so that's obviously better than 25th percentile.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I remember a few people (myself included) predicted that Hill would bounce back from 2015, but not be as dominant as 2014. That prediction is looking pretty accurate. The fact that Hill has somehow bounced back behind this joke of an o-line is nothing short of a miracle. Hill deserves some credit this year. I know a lot of people hate the guy, so I doubt anyone will even admit that he's doing reasonably well. Has stopped the fumble issue as well (which was exaggerated to death anyway).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote