Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Jonah William be a elite LT?
(04-16-2021, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: ghe was the first O-lineman taken in the draft and I don't remember any of the "experts" saying it was a huge mistake to take him.

To be fair though Fred, John Ross was the 2nd WR draft in the 2017 draft and I don't remember many people saying it was a bad draft pick.  I heard he's got the speed and he could really help Andy Dalton.   Well John Ross was a bust.  Just saying.  

I think Jonah can be a good OT in the NFL.  I don't think he'll ever be elite.  Whether he's good or not is dependent on whether he can stay on the field this season unlike the last 2 season. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: All talk about to draft or not draft Penei Sewell has been
Very popular leading up to the draft. Great arguments on both
Sides of the fence.
But lost in all this discussuon is the current LT Jonah Williams.

My question is, can he ever become a elite LT?
Let's not forget, this was Taylors 1st draft pick ever.
I don't recall at the time the other college prospects that were
Being discussed on who to draft at that time....

But back to.Jonah. This is a very pivotal year for him.much like
For Zac Taylor too.
He hasnt played a full season yet. ( ZT doesnt have a winning season yet)

In the 10 games last year, Jonah at best was inconsistant.
I don't have the film on.him but I think he had his issues
Vs fast agile speed rushers like Myles Garrett.
I know Garrett is elite but in order to be elite, you have
To negate that elite player across from.you.

Jonah has to overcome 2 things this year.
He has to be healthy for all 17 games and he has to
Really take his game up.to another level.
Being good wont be good enough. He needs to play
At a Joe Thomas or at the very least Levi.Jones level.

The Bengals have not got anykind of dominant play from
Their LT Whitworth.
Jonah this is a very telling 3rd season for you
Your the 3rd best LT in.this division and the 5th best OT

For sure, he has great technique and great feet. Expect him to start to show the eliteness this season. First year starting in the 
NFL and he was our best OL in my opinion. He had troubles as all LT's do in their first year starting, he will learn. Extremely smart
and he wants to be the best LT in the NFL. He was the best prospect in his class just like Sewell is in this class.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 07:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s only 23 years old. Writing him off is a tad premature, no? If he misses significant time for a 3rd year in a row, then sure, I’d agree it’s time to look for a new “thoroughbred” at LT.

You're also missing that the Bengals cut their starting RT, after signing an aging veteran to a one year, bargain contract.  When you combine that with Williams' 10 games in two years, this team REALLY needs to be drafting the best Tackle possible, along with upgrading the Guard position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No.

I mean, there is always a CHANCE....but I think it is small. I think he can be good, but not great.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone is writing jonah off, but when you look at a players contribution to a team, consistency is a huge factor. Staying healthy is part of that.

Jonah has played half a season in two years. What's his contribution been? Not a lot.

Can he be elite? Sure. I'll be happier when he can contribute.

If the last two years are any indicator, right now we have one starting tackles on the roster. Jonah isn't him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Streetwise, everybody I knew was remiss about the John Ross pick: first complaint - injury prone and short. Those type of WR (short speedsters) are never worth picking high whether it be Ross, Tavon Austin, or Henry Ruggs.

Second, how many Bengals first rounders missed their first season in the x past years? Should we trade Burrow? This is more of a Bengals organization problem.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 05:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're also missing that the Bengals cut their starting RT, after signing an aging veteran to a one year, bargain contract.  When you combine that with Williams' 10 games in two years, this team REALLY needs to be drafting the best Tackle possible, along with upgrading the Guard position.

Totally agree. Definitely need to upgrade OT in a big way and G as well, and we are not far from having to deal with C. I'm not convinced Hopkins will be back 100% and playing the same, but Im not against giving Price another look at C under Pollack. He played well against the Titans at C. 

We have no good depth at any position on the OL. We have a LT who hasnt been able to stay healthy, a RT who is 33 years old, two average-to-below average G's and the starting C is coming off major surgery. Not good, imo. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 05:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're also missing that the Bengals cut their starting RT, after signing an aging veteran to a one year, bargain contract.  When you combine that with Williams' 10 games in two years, this team REALLY needs to be drafting the best Tackle possible, along with upgrading the Guard position.

Hart isn't a good starting RT though and this Draft class is stacked with good OL. Reiff is playing good right now.

I always agree with you Sunset but it isn't all Sewell or nothing.

This is where I find my divide.
Reply/Quote
Just need him to be good-very good.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Will he ever be elite? I guess that depends on your definition. I define it as top 10%. Will he ever be the 3rd best LT in the NFL? Id say no.

But, could he be a top 10 LT? Yep. And that's more than good enough to fill what we need.
Reply/Quote