Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Mixon Produce Behind This Line?
I'm really struggling with this and whether or not Mixon can do anything behind this offensive line.

A BIG reason why it's bugging me so much is that, tomorrow, I have the fantasy draft with my best friends. Pride, dignity, respect, self-respect, and glory are all on the line.

I have the #6 pick and I'm going to take Kamara in the first, and I'd take Mixon in the second if the right side of our line could block a team of nuns, and I'd take him without hesitation if he made it back to me in the third.

Will our line be decent enough to allow Mixon to have a big year? It's PPR, and I like what he offers as a receiver, but our line doesn't block for shit for him.

Should I take Kamara in the first, Dalvin Cook in the second, or (Gronk if Cook's not there)?

I doubt that Mixon makes it to the third since everyone in this league is from Greater Cincinnati, but it's possible.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to know. Marvin made the excuse that they really didn't scheme for any of the preseason opponents. Not sure that I'm buying it. If the Colts load the box, Andy'd better be ready to light them up with play action stuff. Look for Mixon and Gio coming out of the backfield.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:36 AM)Shady Wrote: It's hard to know. Marvin made the excuse that they really didn't scheme for any of the preseason opponents. Not sure that I'm buying it. If the Colts load the box, Andy'd better be ready to light them up with play action stuff. Look for Mixon and Gio coming out of the backfield.

Yeah, if it wasn't a cause for concern because they didn't scheme, then why so many personnel changes on the line?
Reply/Quote
As far as I can tell, the o line is still iffy... I'd steer clear of Mixon... Especially if dignity is on the line...

That's some high stakes fantasy football...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think our run game will be abysmal early in the season but if the pass game continues to click as it has in pre season, i'm thinking the run lanes will develop as the season goes on.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 02:36 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think our run game will be abysmal early in the season but if the pass game continues to click as it has in pre season, i'm thinking the run lanes will develop as the season goes on.

This, but I can't help but think they have been saving the best for the real games.  I know that might be giving them too much credit, and I would assume you would want to practice it against a real team, but they did mostly outside rushes in the preseason (the #1 unit, that is) and it was pretty vanilla window dressing.  The key to this rushing attack will be to disguise the formations so they won't tip off the rushing plays and also to be able to drive block and pick up short yardage gains to move the sticks. 

I am not a big fantasy guy, but I could see Mixon having a breakout season and really generating a lot of points, especially in the passing game.  I don't know if Dalvin Cook looks like the same guy before his injury, but we know Mixon is healthy and we know he will be involved in both the rushing and passing attacks.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, if it wasn't a cause for concern because they didn't scheme, then why so many personnel changes on the line?

Because they were trying to find the best line....
Reply/Quote
I am pretty sure Mixon will have a decent season, but maybe not an elite season like you want with a top fanatsy pick.  Especially with Gio playing a lot of snaps.
Reply/Quote
I'm still wondering why we are keeping 4 RBs. If it simply isn't possible to run behind this line, then use less rosters spots on RB. If it is possible, you should be able to get it done with three. Are we really that afraid someone else will sign Walton? Or that Carson won't be able to rotate in at a moment's notice (I doubt he dresses anyways)?

It is one of my top head scratchers of the cutdown, along with why we kept both Harris and Phillips at Corner (keep one to develop/for special teams but not both -- they both struggled in preseason) and do we really need a total of 11 TEs and WRs when usually you'll only have 4 on the field and at most 5 (what is Core still doing on this active roster???)? Use those roster spots to bring in an offensive linemen that got cut as some depth...maybe you can get them up to speed during the course of the season so they could start after the bye for a position on the line that is struggling.

Reply/Quote
I'm with cornerblitz on this one. I think it will start off pretty slow but as the offense comes together will get much better.

I doubt Mixon is going to shatter the record books running it but I'd bet he has a decent season in all purpose yards and TD's.
Reply/Quote
I recall having Hill on my fantasy team and doing just fine despite the lack of running yards. He still scored TDs which in fantasy is the only thing that really matters and in the long run of the game itself. 
A back could gain 300 yards every game and the team could still lose if nobody crosses the goal line..
The real question you probably should be asking is can he get across the goal line when it matters. Yards are nice, but if he's not getting across the line all those yards don't amount to a "Hill of beans" . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Dalton cannot carry a team with a passing attack. He absolutely needs a running game. Defenses know this so they will take away the pass and force us to run and if we cannot, we will fail.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
In both of my leagues I took bell/gurley and then devonta freeman and then mixon. I wouldn't use a second pick on him because he's not guaranteed to produce big numbers. I think he's going to do well, but I'm too unsure. I'm in .5 PPR so I thought his receiving skills would be good.
Reply/Quote
Mixon went 15th in my draft and nobody is from Cincinnati and I am the only Bengals fan in league.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:12 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: In both of my leagues I took bell/gurley and then devonta freeman and then mixon. I wouldn't use a second pick on him because he's not guaranteed to produce big numbers. I think he's going to do well, but I'm too unsure. I'm in .5 PPR so I thought his receiving skills would be good.

Was everybody on auto-draft ? 

By the end of 2nd round in our draft all top RB's, elite Wr's, and elite QB's were gone.      

Gurley was first taken and Bell was 3rd selected. There are only a handful of bell cow backs who get the bulk of the carries.    

Like your chances. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was everybody on auto-draft ? 

By the end of 2nd round in our draft all top RB's, elite Wr's, and elite QB's were gone.      

Gurley was first taken and Bell was 3rd selected. There are only a handful of bell cow backs who get the bulk of the carries.    

Like your chances. 

Yeah I got bell in one and gurley in the other. I targeted RBs because they fall off so quickly. My receivers in one league are Tate/landry(1 PPR) and in the other I have amari cooper and golden tate(.5 PPR). I like my chances in both my leagues. I was drafting with a buddy who took cam newton in the 5th round. lol I was like see yaaaa
Reply/Quote
Not hating or loving my team which consists of

QB's
Luck
Dalton

RB's
David Johnson
Alex Collins
Kerryon Johnson
Chris Carter
Jeremy Hill
Devon Booker

WR's
AJ Green
TY Hilton
Robert Woods
John Ross
Josh Gordon
Donte Moncrief

k
Jake Elliott

D
Bengals

We play for substantial amount of money with 12 owners who have all played over 20 years and players get exhausted quickly.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 07:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This, but I can't help but think they have been saving the best for the real games.  I know that might be giving them too much credit, and I would assume you would want to practice it against a real team, but they did mostly outside rushes in the preseason (the #1 unit, that is) and it was pretty vanilla window dressing.  The key to this rushing attack will be to disguise the formations so they won't tip off the rushing plays and also to be able to drive block and pick up short yardage gains to move the sticks. 

I am not a big fantasy guy, but I could see Mixon having a breakout season and really generating a lot of points, especially in the passing game.  I don't know if Dalvin Cook looks like the same guy before his injury, but we know Mixon is healthy and we know he will be involved in both the rushing and passing attacks.  

I'm in total agreement with you. I thought I was pretty much the only one that noticed we mostly ran outside during the preseason with the #1s. IMO, I think we will get better as we go. Once a player can get locked into a position and concentrate on that position, I believe things will run smoothly.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:15 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm really struggling with this and whether or not Mixon can do anything behind this offensive line.

A BIG reason why it's bugging me so much is that, tomorrow, I have the fantasy draft with my best friends.  Pride, dignity, respect, self-respect, and glory are all on the line.

I have the #6 pick and I'm going to take Kamara in the first, and I'd take Mixon in the second if the right side of our line could block a team of nuns, and I'd take him without hesitation if he made it back to me in the third.

Will our line be decent enough to allow Mixon to have a big year?  It's PPR, and I like what he offers as a receiver, but our line doesn't block for shit for him.  

Should I take Kamara in the first, Dalvin Cook in the second, or (Gronk if Cook's not there)?

I doubt that Mixon makes it to the third since everyone in this league is from Greater Cincinnati, but it's possible.

My problem is what team the Nuns are from... lol

I see Mixon making hay primarily receiving. HOWEVER, because the passing game is going to be so BLEEPING good, I see him putting up at LEAST 1K probably 1200. 
And he might just make it a Double Double. That would be nice eh?

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 01:36 AM)Shady Wrote: It's hard to know. Marvin made the excuse that they really didn't scheme for any of the preseason opponents. Not sure that I'm buying it. If the Colts load the box, Andy'd better be ready to light them up with play action stuff. Look for Mixon and Gio coming out of the backfield.

I have a feeling if they load the box, they won't for long. Green and Boyd will make them think twice about it. I was very impressed with the pass blocking. Andy should have time.
Reply/Quote