Poll: If the Bengals had to play the Patriots in the playoffs would they win?
This poll is closed.
Yes
86.49%
64 86.49%
No
13.51%
10 13.51%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can The Bengals Beat The Patriots?
I was thinking about the last two match-ups the Bengals and Patriots have had one the Bengals won and one the Pats won. Each game was played around the same time of year and the core players are still mainly intact for both teams. Even though they aren't on our regular schedule  I see them as a team we are more then likely going to have to face if the Bengals want to hoist the Lombardi trophy.

The first match-up was on October 6th, 2013 and with a healthy team and home field advantage the Bengals won the game 13 to 6. The defense smothered the Patriots offense leading to probably the worst performance of Brady's career with 18 of 38 of his passes completed, 197 yard, 0 TDs and 1 INT leaving him with a measly 47.9 rating. A hungry Burfict led the team with 8 tackles (7 solo.) and Gilberry and Atkins got their hands on Brady with a sack each. Chris Crocker actually had a good game with 2 passes deflected,  8 tackles  (4 solo.) and he shared a sack with Gilberry.  I remember the d-line rotation was chewing up the Pat's o-line leaving Brady flustered. Blount rushed for 51 yards and had a 4.2 avg per carry.

The Bengals offense wasn't turning heads either though. Gio Bernard was our standout player on offense imo even though he lost a fumble he rushed for 62 yard and a 4.8 avg per carry. We were still feeding the rock to Green-Ellis ( Sick ) primarily at that point so he only had 13 carries. Green Ellis did get the games only TD but averaged a poor 3.5 avg per carry and had 19 carries. Dalton had a rating of 56.2 with 20/27 passes completed for 212 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and 4 sacks against him. It was good enough to win the game but not a pretty performance in the passing game. AJ Green was the leading receiver with 5 catches for 61 yards. Eifert wasn't far behind with 5 catches for 53 yards. Brandon Spikes, Devin McCourty and Jerod Mayo were the standouts on the Patriot's defense. Spikes had 12 tackles and and INT, McCourty had 12 tackles and Mayo had 11 tackles.  They also had Aqib Talib and Wilfork on their team at the time.

The second game was also on October, 6th but a year later in 2014 the Bengals got destroyed in New England in a 17 to 43 blowout. I can remember it being one of the most embarrassing games in recent memory. Brady and the Patriots had enough of hearing the critics after they got thrashed by the Chiefs the week before. Brady put up a 110.7 rating with 23/35 passes completed for 292 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Without a 100% Atkins plus a rookie defensive coordinator the pass rush was weak only puttting Brady down once for a sack. They killed us in the running game Stephen Ridley had 27 carries for 113 yards and a TD. Shane Vareen had 9 carries for 90 yards as well. We also got the full Gronk treatment he was their leading receiver with 6 catches for 100 yards and a TD. Our defense was a mess. They were so bad we even let a no name TE Timothy Wright look like an all-pro with 5 catches for 85 yards and a TD. Rey M and Iloka led the team with 9 tackles a piece. Burfict was out.

The Bengals offense was solid but unprepared for what was coming their way none the less. Dalton had 15/24 passes completed for 204 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a respectable 117.4 rating. The o-line was solid with only 1 sack given up. AJ Green led the Bengals in receiving with 5 receptions 81 yards and a TD but had a costly fumble. Sanu was efficient with 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD. He was playing his best game at the beginning of that season. Interesting that Jeremy Hill had 3 catches for 68 yards and only 1 rushing yard on 2 carries. Gio led the rushing attack and gained 62 yards on 13 carries for a 4.8 avg. AJ Green, Brandon Tate and Sanzenbacher all had a fumble lost each.  

Overall I feel good about the Bengals matched up against the Patriots even on their home field (Unless they tamper with the headsets. LOL ) we'd have Burfict back if we'd have to play them at some point and the defense is back to terrorizing QBs. The Bengals offense is finally living up to it's potential with the return of Eifert and M.Jones and the o-line playing lights out if they can manage the level of consistency throughout the season and into the playoffs it's hard for me imagine them losing to the Patriots but that's just me.
Reply/Quote
I voted yes, but at this point I think it is close to 50 - 50.  
Reply/Quote
What makes anyone think that the Bengals can win a playoff game?

Patriots to Jaguars, I don't see it happening.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bill Belichick - 6 super bowls, 4 titles, 22-9 playoff record

vs

Marvin Lewis - 0-6 playoff record

Hmmm...

Belichick has 22 playoff wins as a HC compared to 5 playoff wins in Bengals entire history. That's depressing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bill Belichick - 6 super bowls, 4 titles, 22-9 playoff record

vs

Marvin Lewis - 0-6 playoff record

Hmmm...

Belichick has 22 playoff wins as a HC compared to 5 playoff wins in Bengals entire history. That's depressing.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:42 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: What makes anyone think that the Bengals can win a playoff game?

Patriots to Jaguars, I don't see it happening.

The fact that we'll most likely be a lot healthier than we were last year.  The fact that we have great depth.  The fact that we'll most likely be playing in Cincinnati in the cold and our team is very well built for those games.

The fact that we have a hell of a one-two punch in the run game which will only get better if we start giving Hill the ball again.

The fact that Andy's playing lights-out.  

The fact that we have dangerous weapons in the pass game.

In addition to the above, we could definitely beat the Patriots because we have a hell of a pass rush, which is the best way (sometimes the only way) to beat Brady.  We're also playing this well without our second-best defender in Burfict.

We very much could beat the Pats, but need to worry about getting there first, which I know that fan talk doesn't mean anything to the team, but I'm enjoying the now and I'm just going to keep riding this wave.
Reply/Quote
We have and we will again. There is no single dependence on Adrial Jeremiah Green anymore. Game breakers: Marvin Jones, T. Eifert, Gio, Jeremy Hill. Dare them to stop all of those guys.

The problem is our Defense.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The fact that we'll most likely be a lot healthier than we were last year.  The fact that we have great depth.  The fact that we'll most likely be playing in Cincinnati in the cold and our team is very well built for those games.

The fact that we have a hell of a one-two punch in the run game which will only get better if we start giving Hill the ball again.

The fact that Andy's playing lights-out.  

The fact that we have dangerous weapons in the pass game.

In addition to the above, we could definitely beat the Patriots because we have a hell of a pass rush, which is the best way (sometimes the only way) to beat Brady.  We're also playing this well without our second-best defender in Burfict.

We very much could beat the Pats, but need to worry about getting there first, which I know that fan talk doesn't mean anything to the team, but I'm enjoying the now and I'm just going to keep riding this wave.

I've heard it all before.  After watching them shit their pants on the field 5 of the last 6 years, I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll agree with your last sentence though.  I'm really enjoying what they're doing at the moment.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
The bengals can beat the patriots. The question is can they beat the refs and the cheating, xD.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals playoff issues are obvious but on paper I give the advantage to Cincy. That only goes so far but if they can manage to put their playoff woes to rest then the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote
I'll have my answer at shortly after 4 PM Sunday.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Sure the Bengals "can" beat the Patriots.

The question is can the Bengals finally turn the corner and muster up the heart, moxy, guts, to get to the game where they would play the Patriots ?

I see a new team emerging before our eyes. Let's hope it continues to grow.
Reply/Quote
If both teams play to their max potential on a neutral field? We probably lose 2/3.
Reply/Quote
People in this thread are acting like abuse victims. Just because we had a rough past doesn't mean anything about the future. Trends break, teams change, and this team is much different than it was in the past. The offense has 0 skilled position players who played in the 2009 playoff game. This offense has 2 offensive skilled position starters who played in the 2011 playoff game (Dalton, Green). The team has changed, and it will be a completely different outcome come January.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 10:49 PM)Utts Wrote: If both teams play to their max potential on a neutral field? We probably lose 2/3.

I'd say it's more towards 50/50 if both teams played to their max potential on a neutral field. Both teams are very similar in terms of total offense / total defense. But a game between us WON'T be played at a neutral field, and I'd give the edge to whoever the home team is. Have to hope the road to SB 50 isn't through Foxboro. And we have to hope we're clicking on all cylinders if/when we play them.
Reply/Quote
I don't think our defense is equipped to stop an offense like New England's. We would need a tremendous amount of pressure on Brady the whole game. Otherwise, he would pick our secondary apart. We haven't played an explosive offense yet and I think that when we do, we are going to get exposed bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 11:03 PM)The Dangler Wrote: I don't think our defense is equipped to stop an offense like New England's. We would need a tremendous amount of pressure on Brady the whole game. Otherwise, he would pick our secondary apart. We haven't played an explosive offense yet and I think that when we do, we are going to get exposed bad.

We didn't play the Chargers?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 09:07 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I've heard it all before.  After watching them shit their pants on the field 5 of the last 6 years, I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll agree with your last sentence though.  I'm really enjoying what they're doing at the moment.

Just stop and think about the logic behind your argument.

No coach can ever win a playoff game if he has not won one before?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 11:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just stop and think about the logic behind your argument.

No coach can ever win a playoff game if he has not won one before?

No coach has ever won a playoff game after losing his first six, so yes, I guess that logic really does work out well.  It's not like this is a guy who has lost a single playoff game...

Like I said, they're an amazing team, but I'm not going to bank on them winning a playoff game until I see that Lewis is capable of making that happen.

I'd bet you on it, but we all know how that would shake out on your end...eh?
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 11:21 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No coach has ever won a playoff game after losing his first six, yes.

Like I said, they're an amazing team, but I'm not going to bank on them winning a playoff game until I see that Lewis is capable of making that happen.

I'd bet you on it, but we all know how that would shake out on your end...eh?

I'll bet you on it. Just know that I already have a sig bet going right now.
Reply/Quote