Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Trumps economic plan work?
(01-25-2017, 07:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That's why my views are centrist with a right lean, but for some reason I'm considered a Republican.
Healthcare and Education are very important to me, as well as Immigration, SSA, VA Benefits, less government regulations.

And speaking of Immigration. WHO's LAUGHING NOW?

Trump Orders Mexican Border Wall to Be Built and Is Expected to Block Syrian Refugees (emphasis on Border Wall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/refugees-immigrants-wall-trump.html?_r=0

I ordered my kids to start building a retaining wall and have the neighbors pay for it too!

Then someone started asking for money for the project and mumbling something about "laws" and I got bored and called them losers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-25-2017, 08:35 PM)xxlt Wrote: Comrade, you can call me whatever you want - I've been called worse.

Well, I was never called "Comrade"...!

(01-25-2017, 08:35 PM)xxlt Wrote:

Cool. Got any Tom Lehrer?

(01-25-2017, 07:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And speaking of Immigration. WHO's LAUGHING NOW?
Mexican Border Wall to Be Built and Is Expected to Block Syrian Refugees (emphasis on Border Wall)

I don't know, guess you are. I never really laughed... is the financing via tax remittances already in the books, or what's the plan, I couldn't find it on CNN. And I don't read any less biased sites out of fear to lose my leftist arrogance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-25-2017, 09:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, I was never called "Comrade"...!

Cool... got any Tom Lehrer?

Love Tom Lehrer!

(01-25-2017, 09:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Love Tom Lehrer!

Cool!
Quick trivia, Tom Lehrer had a song called "poisoning pigeons in the park"... Georg Kreisler, one of our great cabaret artists and satirical singers, fled the war and returned to Austria later; to establish his fame with basically the same song sung in German (stayed his most famous one). Of course claiming it as his own.

Kreisler also copied this one:

Not very political, but fun to sing under the shower from time to time.

-- We will all go together when we go was my favourite. Although I liked almost all of the few songs I knew.
(01-25-2017, 10:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: Cool!
Quick trivia, Tom Lehrer had a song called "poisoning pigeons in the park"... Georg Kreisler, one of our great cabaret artists and satirical singers, fled the war and returned to Austria later; to establish his fame with basically the same song sung in German (stayed his most famous one). Of course claiming it as his own.

I discovered Dr. Demento when I was in 9th grade (1983) and Lehrer quickly became a favorite of mine. And along with the one you posted I'd go with the "Masochism Tango"!
(01-25-2017, 10:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: I discovered Dr. Demento when I was in 9th grade (1983) and Lehrer quickly became a favorite of mine.  And along with the one you posted I'd go with the "Masochism Tango"!

Hilarious Oh yeah, that one was great too.
Now I need to spend some time on youtube, rekindling memories. I basically learned English with those.
(01-25-2017, 09:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, I was never called "Comrade"...!

Cool. Got any Tom Lehrer?

I don't know, guess you are. I never really laughed... is the financing via tax remittances already in the books, or what's the plan, I couldn't find it on CNN. And I don't read any less biased sites out of fear to lose my leftist arrogance.
What's the plan? We don't need no stinkin' plan. Executive Order baby... He's bangin' out 3 or 4 of them a day. Sometimes he even reads them aloud to us before he signs them (transparency). Make it happen. They'll pay us back later.

Probably draining that swamp tomorrow...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-25-2017, 10:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: Cool!

-- We will all go together when we go was my favourite. Although I liked almost all of the few songs I knew.

Back at ya:

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(01-26-2017, 12:18 AM)jason Wrote: Probably draining that swamp tomorrow...

He's going to be busy draining the oil spill in the middle of the dakotas.

But he'll do it the best. And it will be great. Don't worry.
(01-26-2017, 01:48 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: He's going to be busy draining the oil spill in the middle of the dakotas.

But he'll do it the best. And it will be great. Don't worry.
What oil spill ?
It will never exist, with Daddy's gag orders abound.
He's very "precedental".
(01-26-2017, 02:08 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: What oil spill ?
It will never exist, with Daddy's gag orders abound.
He's very "precedental".

Daddy's been gagging on order for a long time. Ur ine order of the court
(01-25-2017, 09:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't know, guess you are. I never really laughed... is the financing via tax remittances already in the books, or what's the plan, I couldn't find it on CNN. And I don't read any less biased sites out of fear to lose my leftist arrogance.

His EO directed funds for the wall, and an EO can only legally direct funds that have been previously appropriated to a department's budget (I think it is that broad, it could be narrower, but it would make sense if he can redirect funds in a department budget). As this would fall under the budget of the DHS, this figure would come out of other budget areas of the DHS. Though it will only be a partial amount that will be taken from other budgets, as the project will last more than a year, Congress will likely be appropriating funds specifically for this which will come from the general fund. As the Executive does not have the authority to name the revenue source, that will be up to Congress to legislate.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-26-2017, 11:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: His EO directed funds for the wall, and an EO can only legally direct funds that have been previously appropriated to a department's budget (I think it is that broad, it could be narrower, but it would make sense if he can redirect funds in a department budget). As this would fall under the budget of the DHS, this figure would come out of other budget areas of the DHS. Though it will only be a partial amount that will be taken from other budgets, as the project will last more than a year, Congress will likely be appropriating funds specifically for this which will come from the general fund. As the Executive does not have the authority to name the revenue source, that will be up to Congress to legislate.

Congress isn't going to deny him this project.
It's about time someone in Congress tried to deal with the Illegal Immigration problem. Everyone up to this point keeps making little changes here and there and avoids actually tackling the problem.

Bel, there is not enough Republicans in to make an Amendment is there?
(01-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Congress isn't going to deny him this project.
It's about time someone in Congress tried to deal with the Illegal Immigration problem. Everyone up to this point keeps making little changes here and there and avoids actually tackling the problem.

They probably can pay for it using the funds that were going to fight disease and help with poor women in our country and around the world.  Problem solved.
(01-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Bel, there is not enough Republicans in to make an Amendment is there?

Not in either chamber. You're looking for 67 Senate votes, and 290 House votes. Then that is followed by ratification by at least 38 state legislatures or conventions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Congress isn't going to deny him this project.

I didn't respond to this part, but should have. Budget hawks might, and there are arguments to be made that they should. But that is a political topic that will be interesting to watch.

(01-26-2017, 01:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not in either chamber. You're looking for 67 Senate votes, and 290 House votes. Then that is followed by ratification by at least 38 state legislatures or conventions.

Ok, that's kinda what I thought. I remembered the 67 Senate votes, but had no idea on the Number Needed for the House.
I asked for 2 reasons, 1, obviously we will have a hard time getting the Born in the US changed to parent must be a USC to prevent anchor babies, and online some women keep saying Trump is going to take womens' rights to vote away from them.
(01-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Congress isn't going to deny him this project.

We have negative net Mexican immigration at this time, so the wall solves a problem that doesn't exist - unless it is being built to keep Mexicans in the U.S.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(01-26-2017, 03:12 PM)xxlt Wrote: We have negative net Mexican immigration at this time, so the wall solves a problem that doesn't exist - unless it is being built to keep Mexicans in the U.S.

We have negative net Mexican immigration at the moment, but immigrants from countries further south are traveling through Mexico and crossing the same border. I would be curious, because I have heard that stat before, if it takes that into consideration.

(01-26-2017, 03:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have negative net Mexican immigration at the moment, but immigrants from countries further south are traveling through Mexico and crossing the same border. I would be curious, because I have heard that stat before, if it takes that into consideration.
Perhaps they should build the wall at Mexico's southern border then.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021