Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can We Block the Rams???
Throw on early downs and get into 3rd and shorts. We have to keep them out of their pass rush packages.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: Throw on early downs and get into 3rd and shorts. We have to keep them out of their pass rush packages.

Yep.

Can't be playing behind with yardage.

Wasted downs and losing yards on first down ain't gonna cur it.

Have to at least get positive results on 1st downs.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:15 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I've heard the saying, "games are won in the trenches" all my life.  Well, the trenches  is  where  the Rams excel, apparently.

Through Sunday, Los Angeles ranked first in pass block win rate, pass rush win rate and run stop win rate.

Most of you guys know the ends and outs of the game a helluva lot better than I do. I need your analysis. CAN WE BLOCK THE LA RAMS enough to unleash our very skilled and explosive weapons on offense?   I believe we can shred their secondary if we give Joseph an extra split second of time.  And can our defense get enough pressure on Stafford to force him into a couple of pivotal mistakes, which he can be prone to make at times?

What's it gonna take for our lines to block well enough to capture our first Superbowl title?    Can we block these Rams???

Tell me how it can be done so I can get a little sleep over these next thirteen days.  I think we have a great shot of winning this thing and silencing these damn Lambs  if we can block well enough .   How do we do it?

The weird thing is, it isn't an injury that is leaving that massive hole at the RG position.  It is simply that Adeniji and Carman are playing very poorly.  Prince has been solid but I bet some of the issues at RG are lack of experience on the outside of them as well.  

I saw D'Ante Smith out there as an extra tackle against KC a few snaps and he graded pretty well.  Wonder if, with two weeks to spare, they look at him as the RG?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:13 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Maybe trying to block them straight up isn't the way to go. Using 6 OL, lining Drew Sample up at FB, and shifting the pocket to either side for planned rollouts could mitigate their strengths on D-line.

If Stafford isn't 100%, rushing 5/stacking the box might be the way to go. I don't think that they can afford to sit back in soft zones and let the Rams dominate the time of possession all game long. I would think that they're more methodical and less explosive on offense, so stifling the run early could pay off. 

This won't be a popular opinion around here, but I almost think you do the opposite.  Go empty, and spread them out.  Burrow is faster than people think and can make one guy miss if it isn't on his blind side.  I think Jonah can handle Bell, but if Donald gets a clean whiff and a clear shot, Joe won't have much time to make him miss.

Maybe have a single back chip or just be a "personal protector" that lines up in front of Burrow in shotgun and tries to plug up the middle, but then releases as a quick checkdown.

It seems as though the offense has dummed it down so much with the first down runs, etc, to protect Burrow, and while I agree that was smart to this point, I think they will need to attack this defense with what they do best.  Otherwise, it could be a really long day for the offense.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 12:09 AM)Joelist Wrote: I expect we are going to keep a blocker in specifically tasked to Donald so he is fighting a double all the time. Remember the Bengals are multiple at WR and can actually send the three amigos out while running max protect and LET JOE COOK.

Absolutely.  He got them this far...and he is very mobile.  Much more so than Garapollo and Brady that the Rams beat (and not by much).  

The LET JOE COOK line could also be said as "don't dig a hole".  Every time they ran the ball in the first half for a yard, they make it that much tougher on Burrow.  I LOVE his chances to get 10 yards on three plays.  I don't like when it is 3rd and 7 and they say "ok, Joe, now get the first down".

The philosophy that the Bengals need to run the ball to wear down the opposition just isn't true.  They can run the ball and keep the defense off balance AFTER they get up two scores.  I just don't want them to fall behind and watch the Rams tee off on pass rush.  

One other point:  I do hope they use Chase or Boyd on a jet sweep and get the Rams defense chasing laterally.  They aren't the youngest players in the NFL and it could help to tire them out.  Ditto screens that make them chase.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: Throw on early downs and get into 3rd and shorts. We have to keep them out of their pass rush packages.

(02-02-2022, 02:23 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep.

Can't be playing behind with yardage.

Wasted downs and losing yards on first down ain't gonna cur it.

Have to at least get positive results on 1st downs.

Spot on. I think we would have beat the Chiefs by 10+ if we did.
There are simply times we need to abandon the run.

Why this team is so against the dink and dunk with all of these speedy receivers and play makers drives me bonkers.

Mixon only runs for more than 5 yards what.. 1 of 7-8x? i

We piss away so many downs with being overly committed to the run.

This is not a Mixon bash at all. Just an OLine weakness that needs to be worked around not ignored.
Reply/Quote
I hope the super bowl is what Boyd has been waiting for all season long. He's been pretty quiet, I hope this is his break out game and has a monster 200 yrds receiving and 4 TDs and MVP for the Super Bowl. He's one of the last few Marvin guys.
Reply/Quote
In Week 18, the Rams had to score a late TD to barely get by the Ravens by a point. The Ravens rushed for 165 yards( 5.2 yards per rush). The great Aaron Donald had a half a sack. The Rams scored a grand total of 7 points in the first 48 minutes of the game . Ravens were a depleted team and sucked. We outscored the Ravens 82-38 in two games.

Are you sure the Rams are the better team????
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 12:09 AM)Joelist Wrote: I expect we are going to keep a blocker in specifically tasked to Donald so he is fighting a double all the time. Remember the Bengals are multiple at WR and can actually send the three amigos out while running max protect and LET JOE COOK.

This 100000000%. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder why this is a two-star thread? We're on a Bengals forum and the guy asked for help bettering understand the game of football.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 10:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I wonder why this is a two-star thread? We're on a Bengals forum and the guy asked for help bettering understand the game of football.

Tec, you must have been reading my mind. I was wondering the same.  I have watched football for over fifty years. Love it.  I just don't keep up with the talent on a lot of teams other than the Bengals.  I also defer to others who know the X's and O's of the games better than I.  Some of the analysis and the jargon used by the so-called experts on TV can be pretty confusing.  I love to learn about the analytics and strategies of the game. I want to better understand what we can do to block their front seven.  It's an honest question.
Reply/Quote
What did the Ravens do in Week 18 to limit Donald to a half a sack?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:13 AM)Science Friction Wrote: What did the Ravens do in Week 18 to limit Donald to a half a sack?

My guess is they put an extra body on him but Huntley was still sacked five times that game. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: My guess is they put an extra body on him but Huntley was still sacked five times that game. 

Yeah, I think Miller had a couple of them.  They did limit the Rams to 7 points for the first 48 minutes of the game. Kinda amazing considering how we carved up their defense twice.  I think Stafford fumbled once and threw a couple of picks,
Reply/Quote
They will continue to use the screen game which has been effective the back half of the season to help control the rush. I mentioned in another thread, look for Sample to motion inline and crack down on Von Miller so the tackle can block down and double Donald. I wouldn't be surprised if you see other guys motioning in to crack from different places as well. I am also asking my back to hold an extra beat on check and releases just to make sure the protection is set.

You only need to block good enough, and I think we can actually block good enough.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see them spread it out and run an up tempo offense to wear them down. Gas the D-line. Quick hitters all day long. Bring back the Sugar Huddle!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: They will continue to use the screen game which has been effective the back half of the season to help control the rush. I mentioned in another thread, look for Sample to motion inline and crack down on Von Miller so the tackle can block down and double Donald. I wouldn't be surprised if you see other guys motioning in to crack from different places as well. I am also asking my back to hold an extra beat on check and releases just to make sure the protection is set.

You only need to block good enough, and I think we can actually block good enough.

Yeah, it should be a heavy dose of 3 step drops and quick throws.   We won't abandon the run because we seem intent on trying play action even if it rarely works.   
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 02:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: The coaches have two weeks to build a game plan, and they will. Plus Burrow gives them the needed confidence that they can and will make the plays.

I went to the LA Rams Vs Cards game back in October here at So Fi and the Cards DOMINATED that game. I would look at game film on that one
Reply/Quote
I have been blocking them 100% effectively on social media.

Ba Dum Tiss....
Reply/Quote
Nobody responded so I guess no one likes the idea, but while I know Carman is the future, Sua Fila is better than Adeniji. He needs to be activated and put at RG over Adeniji
Reply/Quote