Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Can We Block the Rams???
(02-02-2022, 10:56 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Tec, you must have been reading my mind. I was wondering the same.  I have watched football for over fifty years. Love it.  I just don't keep up with the talent on a lot of teams other than the Bengals.  I also defer to others who know the X's and O's of the games better than I.  Some of the analysis and the jargon used by the so-called experts on TV can be pretty confusing.  I love to learn about the analytics and strategies of the game. I want to better understand what we can do to block their front seven.  It's an honest question.

It's a fair question and I'm the same way, I often defer to other posters knowledge about the Xs & Os or the draft. It's not liking asking how to block the Rams was framed as the Bengals suck or the post was intended to cause strife. Oh well, life goes on and I was mostly thinking aloud how I found it odd people rated the post as 1-star.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 11:15 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I've heard the saying, "games are won in the trenches" all my life.  Well, the trenches  is  where  the Rams excel, apparently.

Through Sunday, Los Angeles ranked first in pass block win rate, pass rush win rate and run stop win rate.

Most of you guys know the ends and outs of the game a helluva lot better than I do. I need your analysis. CAN WE BLOCK THE LA RAMS enough to unleash our very skilled and explosive weapons on offense?   I believe we can shred their secondary if we give Joseph an extra split second of time.  And can our defense get enough pressure on Stafford to force him into a couple of pivotal mistakes, which he can be prone to make at times?

What's it gonna take for our lines to block well enough to capture our first Superbowl title?    Can we block these Rams???

Tell me how it can be done so I can get a little sleep over these next thirteen days.  I think we have a great shot of winning this thing and silencing these damn Lambs  if we can block well enough .   How do we do it?

Someone is going to get through and Burrow knows that. And to him, "Hey, it's football." You don't see him whining or complaining about pass protection, so neither should we. He makes due with what he already has and he brought us this far. Right now, the only thing that can stop him is him.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
So the plan should be to Kimo both Aaron Donald and Von Miller on the Bengals first offensive play and just accept the ejections and hate, because otherwise we might see an entire game of 2 HoF pass rushers going against Adeniji and Prince. That's just about the worst matchup I could ever imagine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So the plan should be to Kimo both Aaron Donald and Von Miller on the Bengals first offensive play and just accept the ejections and hate, because otherwise we might see an entire game of 2 HoF pass rushers going against Adeniji and Prince. That's just about the worst matchup I could ever imagine.

Which is why last week I preferred to play the 9ers.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why last week I preferred to play the 9ers.

I also wanted the 49'ers, but then reminded myself we'd be posting about Bosa wrecking us, how we lost to the 49'ers earlier in the year, and how Deebo was going to run all over us and catch balls for TDs. Winning a Super Bowl isn't meant to be easy and I hope our... wait for it... future HoF QB outplays their future HoF pass rushers.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also wanted the 49'ers, but then reminded myself we'd be posting about Bosa wrecking us, how we lost to the 49'ers earlier in the year, and how Deebo was going to run all over us and catch balls for TDs. Winning a Super Bowl isn't meant to be easy and I hope our... wait for it... future HoF QB outplays their future HoF pass rushers.  Cool

My thoughts were Bosa and Burrow are close friends, he'd be trying to sack him, while Aaron Donald will be trying to injure him. I do not want Burrow injured in the last game of the year and not be ready to be back next season. They need to handle Donald. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My thoughts were Bosa and Burrow are close friends, he'd be trying to sack him, while Aaron Donald will be trying to injure him. I do not want Burrow injured in the last game of the year and not be ready to be back next season. They need to handle Donald. 

Ugh. I also agree with you on this as Donald being a dirty player is documented. He tends to be a choker, but it will suck if he goes for the knees.
Reply/Quote
Bright side is, if Von Miller does manage to sack-strip Burrow in the 4th quarter with the SB on the line, we all know Burrow won't back away from the fumble.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So the plan should be to Kimo both Aaron Donald and Von Miller on the Bengals first offensive play and just accept the ejections and hate, because otherwise we might see an entire game of 2 HoF pass rushers going against Adeniji and Prince. That's just about the worst matchup I could ever imagine.

What did SF do against them ?   The Niners had a lot of success against the Rams this season.  Donald had only a half a sack against the Ravens.  Surely, we can come up with something.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: They will continue to use the screen game which has been effective the back half of the season to help control the rush. I mentioned in another thread, look for Sample to motion inline and crack down on Von Miller so the tackle can block down and double Donald. I wouldn't be surprised if you see other guys motioning in to crack from different places as well. I am also asking my back to hold an extra beat on check and releases just to make sure the protection is set.

You only need to block good enough, and I think we can actually block good enough.

They did something similar vs the Raiders edges. They punished Maxx Crosby for 4 quarters.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why last week I preferred to play the 9ers.

Did the 49'ers line suck?  Didn't they manhandle the Rams once this season , beat them in a close game in another, and had them down by 10 in the fourth quarter in the title game?  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:14 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Did the 49'ers line suck?  Didn't they manhandle the Rams once this season , beat them in a close game in another, and had them down by 10 in the fourth quarter in the title game?  

No, I think the 49'ers line is respected. Here's an article: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My thoughts were Bosa and Burrow are close friends, he'd be trying to sack him, while Aaron Donald will be trying to injure him. I do not want Burrow injured in the last game of the year and not be ready to be back next season. They need to handle Donald. 

He will? How do we know that?  I wouldn't know Aaron Donald from Donald Trump. Is he a mean, dirty player?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:19 PM)Science Friction Wrote: He will? How do we know that?  I wouldn't know Aaron Donald from Donald Trump. Is he a mean, dirty player?

Yes he is... https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/aaron-donald-dirty-plays-rams/17bag1zut3yi31k3dlpazrf65n
Reply/Quote

Keep in mind that the 49ers have an much tougher defense and also shut down Rogers completely. The 49ers defense ranked 3rd in yardage allowed while the Rams were 17th. In terms of pass defense, the 49ers ranked 6th versus the Rams 22nd.

If it were the 49ers, we'd be talking about their great defense and about Bosa, not to mention another TE we have trouble with in Kittle and an all-purpose WR/running back in Samuels that is hard to figure out.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:11 PM)Science Friction Wrote: What did SF do against them ?   The Niners had a lot of success against the Rams this season.  Donald had only a half a sack against the Ravens.  Surely, we can come up with something.

If you look at PFF scores, the 49ers had the...

1st T
13th G
12 C
57th G
16th T

...as their starting OL, along with a 6x Pro Bowl FB and a TE that is considered a good blocker.

(Donald only had .5 sacks against Baltimore, but the Rams had 5 sacks that game despite playing from behind for the first 59 minutes.)

Reply/Quote
Don't sweat it. It's in the bag because we have the Brazilian secret agent on the case..  Well..not really secret anymore since she told all about in national TV, but still an agent.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: They will continue to use the screen game which has been effective the back half of the season to help control the rush. I mentioned in another thread, look for Sample to motion inline and crack down on Von Miller so the tackle can block down and double Donald. I wouldn't be surprised if you see other guys motioning in to crack from different places as well. I am also asking my back to hold an extra beat on check and releases just to make sure the protection is set.

You only need to block good enough, and I think we can actually block good enough.

This^

I also wonder with Donald being so juiced for this that they could work it against him.

In other words... take his force and inertia/over-pursuit and burn them.

We've seen that Chase can take 3--4 yard typical gain and turn it into something.

No.  I'm not saying to tempt the beast but to use his own forward force against him.

Get him off balance.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:21 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Yes he is... https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/aaron-donald-dirty-plays-rams/17bag1zut3yi31k3dlpazrf65n

Yeah, and how is he still in the league when they kicked Vontaze Burfict out? Donald has way more violations than Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 03:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This^

I also wonder with Donald being so juiced for this that they could work it against him.

In other words... take his force and inertia/over-pursuit and burn them.

We've seen that Chase can take 3--4 yard typical gain and turn it into something.

No.  I'm not saying to tempt the beast but to use his own forward force against him.

Get him off balance.

Send Fred Johnson out there to do something to get Donald ejected. If we lost Johnson for the game, so be it. Ninja
Reply/Quote