Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can We Make A Run With This O-Line
(11-08-2021, 03:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Thats funny I brought up lack of a pass rush from the interior a few weeks ago and was told
I didnt know what I was talking about. 

Actually most people agreed ith you that the pass rush from the interior was not as good as it appeared at the start of the season.

What people told you you didn't know what you were talking about was when you claimed Hubbard was useless as a pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:03 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I was very critical of this offensive line coming into the season.How far can this team get with this offensive line as its constructed? I don't like it! The defensive lines become elite at this stage of the season. Its getting cold now Zac!

The scary part of that question is this line has been extremely healthy and it has struggled, what happens if we start to have injuries with the thin backups we have.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Starting their 4th RG in 9 games is not “extremely healthy.” Nor is whatever this version of Trey Hopkins we’re seeing.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:03 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I was very critical of this offensive line coming into the season.How far can this team get with this offensive line as its constructed? I don't like it! The defensive lines become elite at this stage of the season. Its getting cold now Zac!

Can we RUN over another team with this OL:?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Starting their 4th RG in 9 games is not “extremely healthy.” Nor is whatever this version of Trey Hopkins we’re seeing.

really a tired excuse... you are talking about a position was was debated who would even start not so much injuries are the reason... and yes this line has been extremely healthy, one of the most healthy in the league but snap comparison.. Hopkins is healthy or he would not be out there.. please show me a article that has discussed his limitations due to this injury this year ?? he was given a clean bill of healthy and we are not halfway into season... 

If the core of the line starts to get hurt, things are looking bad... 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 12:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The scary part of that question is this line has been extremely healthy and it has struggled, what happens if we start to have injuries with the thin backups we have.  

Tiger
Thats a great point and one that I've brought up before. This team is very thin along the offensive line and the depth that we have currently leaves more questions than answers. I did like what I seen from Adeniji on Sunday but was suprised how bad the rest of the interior looked. They need to sure that offensive line up over the bye week and start playing some solid football again.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 06:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: really a tired excuse... you are talking about a position was was debated who would even start not so much injuries are the reason... and yes this line has been extremely healthy, one of the most healthy in the league but snap comparison.. Hopkins is healthy or he would not be out there.. please show me a article that has discussed his limitations due to this injury this year ?? he was given a clean bill of healthy and we are not halfway into season... 

Suggesting that just because a player is on the field he’s 100% healthy is nonsense. Was Geno healthy his last year or two here? Hopkins game completely fell off a cliff. It’s clear as day the guy ain’t right yet.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 08:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Suggesting that just because a player is on the field he’s 100% healthy is nonsense. Was Geno healthy his last year or two here? Hopkins game completely fell off a cliff. It’s clear as day the guy ain’t right yet.

Trey has played 100% of the snaps while the first team offense is out there PLUS some special teams snaps. Geno Atkins played a by far career low number of snaps last year even in the games he was in.

Hopkins was always straddling that cliff even while healthy. Even a small decline in skill is enough to start getting beat regularly. Margins aren't exactly huge on NFL players beating each other. Quarter step differences are really all it takes.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 08:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Suggesting that just because a player is on the field he’s 100% healthy is nonsense. Was Geno healthy his last year or two here? Hopkins game completely fell off a cliff. It’s clear as day the guy ain’t right yet.

Tiger

Your absolutely correct about Hopkins falling off a cliff. I'm one that thinks he may have come back too quickly after his injury. They also have a few dollars tied into him being " thee " guy. He really got his head beat in against the Browns and the upcoming matchups don't get easier. The left guard is beginning his struggle as well but hopefully it was just a bad outing. Jonah played just ok but Myles Garrett is the best pass rusher in the league so he held his own. When you don't mention an offensive lineman that generally means they played well. Game ball to the right side.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trey has played 100% of the snaps while the first team offense is out there PLUS some special teams snaps. Geno Atkins played a by far career low number of snaps last year even in the games he was in.

Hopkins was always straddling that cliff even while healthy. Even a small decline in skill is enough to start getting beat regularly. Margins aren't exactly huge on NFL players beating each other. Quarter step differences are really all it takes.

He went from a middle of the pack pass blocker to literally the worst starting center in the league. People can argue all they want, but it’s clear he was rushed back. A torn ACL can’t be easy to recover from for a man that size.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 06:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: really a tired excuse... you are talking about a position was was debated who would even start not so much injuries are the reason... and yes this line has been extremely healthy, one of the most healthy in the league but snap comparison.. Hopkins is healthy or he would not be out there.. please show me a article that has discussed his limitations due to this injury this year ?? he was given a clean bill of healthy and we are not halfway into season... 

I agree the line has been extremely healthy. But Hopkins is not back 100% from his injury. He gets rest days every week in practice and he got pulled at some point late from the Browns game for rest. Really the reason I was skeptical of the Price trade I know people weren't high on him but we hadn't seen Hopkins all preseason at that point. But his struggles really fall completely on the coaching staff as that was they're call.
Reply/Quote

And you expected any dif...

Nvm. I'm not going there. I've been mean enough lately. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Still baffled why we didn’t sign Austin Reiter. He is no pro bowler but been the a solid starting center for a team that made it to 2 Super Bowls. We had him in for a visit and didn’t make a deal instead choosing to go with An average starter coming off a big injury and a round 6 rookie.

He has never ranked below 7th in pass protection out of all centers as a starter.

signed for Saints on a $990,000 Salary and had since been signed by fins from the NO practice squad.

He was on our radar and we have missed 2 opportunities to sign him on a deal worth nearly 6 million less than Hopkins.

Baffling
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 12:50 PM)G man Wrote: Still baffled why we didn’t sign Austin Reiter. He is no pro bowler but been the a solid starting center for a team that made it to 2 Super Bowls. We had him in for a visit and didn’t make a deal instead choosing to go with   An average starter coming off a big injury and a round 6 rookie.

He has never ranked below 7th in pass protection out of all centers as a starter.

signed for Saints on a $990,000 Salary and had since been signed by fins from the NO practice squad.

He was on our radar and we have missed 2 opportunities to sign him on a deal worth nearly 6 million less than Hopkins.

Baffling

He was sitting on a practice squad this year and 31 teams decided he was not good enough to sign.  What is so "baffling" about the Bengals doing the same thing as 30 other teams?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was sitting on a practice squad this year and 31 teams decided he was not good enough to sign.  What is so "baffling" about the Bengals doing the same thing as 30 other teams?

Every team has different needs so completely incomparable. He’s played snaps for Miami and despite a lengthy absence and limited time with the team he’s grading higher than Hopkins.

For a minimum value contract to add depth to a position where we have the worst ranked starter in the league. And adding that depth with someone who has graded higher than Hopkins every season as a stater, didn’t allow a sack in 700 snaps would seem a no brainer. Especially as we had him in for a visit.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:52 PM)G man Wrote: Every team has different needs so completely incomparable. He’s played snaps for Miami and despite a lengthy absence and limited time with the team he’s grading higher than Hopkins.

For a minimum value contract to add depth to a position where we have the worst ranked starter in the league. And adding that depth with someone who has graded higher than Hopkins every season as a stater, didn’t allow a sack in 700 snaps would seem a no brainer. Especially as we had him in for a visit.

First of all you need to realize that NFL teams don't give a shit about PFF ratings.

Second,I see where you can make an argument for signing Reiter as depth or until Hopkins heals 100%, but it is clearly not a "no brainer" or "baffling" when we don't sing a player off a practice squad where 31 other teams are saying he is not good enough to even make an active roster.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all you need to realize that NFL teams don't give a shit about PFF ratings.

Second,I see where you can make an argument for signing Reiter as depth or until Hopkins heals 100%, but it is clearly not a "no brainer" or "baffling" when we don't sing a player off a practice squad where 31 other teams are saying he is not good enough to even make an active roster.

I did not say they give a shot about grades but there was obviously interest there. But the stats they should care about is that he had 2nd best pressures allowed % in the league out of all centers and didn’t allow any sacks in 700 snaps.

And available for next to nothing. Maybe my wording is wrong but it just seems like such a no brainer

Also the chiefs offered him a contract to return which he rejected so how do you know he didn’t reject other offers. How do you know he didn’t price himself out of a move and shoot him self in the foot. Plenty of teams were interested
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 08:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He went from a middle of the pack pass blocker to literally the worst starting center in the league. People can argue all they want, but it’s clear he was rushed back. A torn ACL can’t be easy to recover from for a man that size.

It's also possible he'll never overcome it and this is the version of himself he will always be now.

I remember Jonathan Luigs, came in as a Rimington Trophy winner and had surgery on his hips (I know different body part but still lower body and legs) and could never get on the field after and retired. 

Sometimes an injury just takes a step away from a guy. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 03:30 PM)G man Wrote:  How do you know he didn’t price himself out of a move and shoot him self in the foot. Plenty of teams were interested

Because he signed for less than $1 million which has to be close to league minimum for a vet with as many years in the league as him.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 03:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's also possible he'll never overcome it and this is the version of himself he will always be now.

I remember Jonathan Luigs, came in as a Rimington Trophy winner and had surgery on his hips (I know different body part but still lower body and legs) and could never get on the field after and retired. 

Some times an injury just takes a step away from a guy. 

This is true, but you never know until you see the guy play.

If we spent draft picks or free agent money to sign replacements for every player that has an injury we will never be able to fix our roster.

I was shocked that Hopkins was ready for opening day.  He was not injured until January of this year.  But since he was able to return I can see why the team did not want to spend a lot on a replacement center.
Reply/Quote