Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can We Make A Run With This O-Line
(11-08-2021, 12:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the first seven games the Bengals’ defense kept the team in every game even when the offense sputtered badly.  Unfortunately the last two games have been awful with the defense allowing 34 points each time.

Maybe offensive coordinators figured out Lou Anarumo but I see less energy from the Cincinnati defense.  Players are out of position and missing tackles.

Is it possible the defensive players started reading their press clippings and thinking they're better than they truly are?  
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:38 PM)P W Wrote: yet, i see the CB1 situation as not good. they can't go into 2022 counting on waynes. need to cut him and find a CB1 that is available to play on sunday.

then they have to prioritize the OL starters/depth. 

I’d say a first round CB is looking likely. Waynes is MIA, Apple is terrible, Owuzie is decent. Center and both guards need upgrading, and Reiff is a one year rental. Hopefully Carman develops.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: yep. The offense is decent, but they cant win games on their own. 

They need the defense to show up to win games
Think we just need balance on both sides of the football versus one side completely not showing up. The defense carried us early on and then we scored 34 vs. the Lions, 41 vs. Baltimore and 31 vs. the Jets and the offense was looking good. The Cleveland game was a combination of everything. You lose the turnover battle and you'll more than likely lose the game it's a story as old as time.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I’d say a first round CB is looking likely.  Waynes is MIA, Apple is terrible, Owuzie is decent.  Center and both guards need upgrading, and Reiff is a one year rental.  Hopefully Carman develops.

Yeah, at this point we need 3 corners.  1 true outside starter and then some guys that can play in the dime packages.  Not having Waynes yesterday was a killer, but he hasn't been around the last 2 years.

We also need a stud interior offensive lineman and possible an interior pass rusher on defense.  We had some production from those guys early in the season, but nothing since.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, at this point we need 3 corners.  1 true outside starter and then some guys that can play in the dime packages.  Not having Waynes yesterday was a killer, but he hasn't been around the last 2 years.

We also need a stud interior offensive lineman and possible an interior pass rusher on defense.  We had some production from those guys early in the season, but nothing since.

Thats funny I brought up lack of a pass rush from the interior a few weeks ago and was told
I didnt know what I was talking about. 
We need a OG that can pull and create a running lane. 
Anybody see Wyatt Teller on that Chubb run?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Thats funny I brought up lack of a pass rush from the interior a few weeks ago and was told

Hey Damon Arnette was just released by the Las Vegas Raiders. I mean Mike Brown loves redemption cases and he loves former Ohio State football players.  He can't be any worse than Eli Apple.  
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Thats funny I brought up lack of a pass rush from the interior a few weeks ago and was told

The reason teams have success with the quick passing game is because the interior isn't getting pressure - it's the shortest distance to the QB.

Larry O and BJ have been silent lately.  I think that's a major reason that the defense has struggled.
Reply/Quote
Does average at best,predictable,play calling have a negative effect on an offensive line? I would think so.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Short yardage runs on big downs? Nah.

No, this OL isn't good enough for a playoff run. It will get exposed by a top notch defensive scheme and talent.

Tiger

I just "Do Not" want to see an offensive line tryng to figure it out late November! That would mean that " YOU" truly don't have an identity. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: that's putting it VERY lightly. An average interior would be a massive improvement

Hopkins is a dumpster fire, and whoever's at RG is also currently bad at the moment

I think Hopkins should have been given more time to get back to full strength.  The repaired knee version of him is nowhere close to the pre-injury one, and it's costing the team big time.  He flat out sucks in almost every single game.  This is not the guy that should be protecting your also-surgically repaired young qb.  
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:03 PM)samhain Wrote: I think Hopkins should have been given more time to get back to full strength.  The repaired knee version of him is nowhere close to the pre-injury one, and it's costing the team big time.  He flat out sucks in almost every single game.  This is not the guy that should be protecting your also-surgically repaired young qb.  

Gambling on Hopkins being ready looks like the biggest mistake of the offseason right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Tiger
Yes its the offensive line and I'll not talk about it ever again!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I despise the Turds but they have built a championship level offensive line.  So have Dallas, Tampa Bay, and the Patriots are winning again because they are blocking again.  

The Bengals’ line is BETTER but still not GOOD; I understand ANYTHING is better than 2016-2020 because the line had nowhere to go but UP.  

The worse the line plays the more the playbook shrinks.  That makes a defensive coordinator’s job much easier.

This ^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tiger

If we had an offensive line then we'd be in the super bowl..
( Because)..
We have Joe and you don't !
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say no... All the top tier teams are gonna have good Dlines. It seems teams have found a way to overwhelm the Oline these last 2 weeks. The communication is horrible. That Browns DB got 3 sacks on corner blitzes... I just think they would be the downfall even if the Defense gets straightened out...
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Tiger
I’d say a first round CB is looking likely.  Waynes is MIA, Apple is terrible, Owuzie is decent.  Center and both guards need upgrading, and Reiff is a one year rental.  Hopefully Carman develops.

Im just going up the hill at cornerback with Coby.
These trenches need to be addressed every other round outside skill pos & I mean every damn round!
Reply/Quote
Nope. The trouble is, you don’t know what you have. Is Hopkins’ drop due to the injury and will he bounce back next year? That version is at least adequate enough to address other things. What is Carman’s upside? He’s played very few games. Are our coaches capable of determining how good he can be?

To me this team still needs a true #1 corner and a dominant linebacker as well.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:09 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nope. The trouble is, you don’t know what you have. Is Hopkins’ drop due to the injury and will he bounce back next year?  That version is at least adequate enough to address other things. What is Carman’s upside?  He’s played very few games.  Are our coaches capable of determining how good he can be?  

To me this team still needs a true #1 corner and a dominant linebacker as well.

They'll need a DT, too.  Larry O is on a prove it deal and there isn't much there behind him on the depth chart.  
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I mean once the schedule os printed its built in that Zac Taylor will cost you two games.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:22 PM)samhain Wrote: They'll need a DT, too.  Larry O is on a prove it deal and there isn't much there behind him on the depth chart.  

Yep. We desperately need another 3T. I’m so tired of watching opposing teams get pressure up the gut, when it seems like we never do. Ogunjobi and Hill were making an impact earlier this season, but not so much recently. We were spoiled by having Geno all those years.

Reply/Quote