Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can We Pay Everybody Within The Cap?
No way ya get to have this many dudes out here ballin out. What's our salary cap situation, who's contract is up soon, what are we doin?

Either these dudes are gonna choose to take a bit less than market value or somebody(s) leavin.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
Well we have Chase for at least 3 more years on his rookie deal, Higgins for at least 2 more years on his rookie deal. Same with Burrow. After that, it might get dicey.
Reply/Quote
Next season is slated to be over $200m, and Burrow and Tee can't be extended yet so we should be fine. But we need to lock in everyone we can this offseason to prepare for the big contracts to Tee and Joe the next year, followed by Chase the following year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have like 60 million in cap space to work with next year. Not only can we sign all of our own guys, we should be able to add a couple nice pieces as well.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well we have Chase for at least 3 more years on his rookie deal, Higgins for at least 2 more years on his rookie deal. Same with Burrow. After that, it might get dicey.

Isn’t it four more for Chase?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Isn’t it four more for Chase?

Rookie deals are 4 years. I think there's an option after that but I'm not positive what it entails.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Rookie deals are 4 years. I think there's an option after that but I'm not positive what it entails.

I always thought first round were four years with a club option for a fifth.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We have like 60 million in cap space to work with next year. Not only can we sign all of our own guys, we should be able to add a couple nice pieces as well.

Sounds like a winner to me.  These boys mean business.  And it's about goddam time.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well we have Chase for at least 3 more years on his rookie deal, Higgins for at least 2 more years on his rookie deal. Same with Burrow. After that, it might get dicey.

Don't you get 5 years with guys with the fifth year being an option? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always thought first round were four years with a club option for a fifth.

Looked it up....

Quote:Draft pick contracts can't be renegotiated until the conclusion of a player's third NFL regular season. This means the earliest Thomas' deal can be redone is in January 2023.

Teams have an option for a fifth year with first-round picks that must be exercised after the third year of the deal. The period for exercising fifth-year options begins after a player's third NFL regular season ends (Jan. 10, 2022 with the 2019 first-round picks). These options must be picked up prior to May 3. 
The new CBA changed how fifth year options operate. The fifth year salary is fully guaranteed when the option is exercised. A player's fourth year base salary becomes fully guaranteed when the option year is picked up if it wasn't already. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Don't you get 5 years with guys with the fifth year being an option? 

For 1st rounders. So Burrow and Chase, but not Higgins.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to front load any contracts to free agents over the next two off seasons. It could really set them up nicely when they have to extend their young stars. They could give them the money that the market will demand without weakening the team.

Or maybe that’s a bad idea…I’m only an expert in bird law.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Boyd and Mixon already on second contracts right? So it's Chase Burrow and Higgins. These dudes choose to play together and it might could get dynasty-ish. Js.
Reply/Quote
Here is a list of some of the more important free agents as far as playing time.
Riley Reiff
Larry Ogunjobi
C.J. Uzomah
Josh Tupou
Kevin Huber
Ricardo Allen
Jessie Bates
Eli Apple
Clark Harris
Jordan Evans
BJ Hill
Quinton Spain
Fred Johnson
Reply/Quote
Sounds like we are in a pretty great spot with the way we have handled the cap.

Bring back Ogunjobi, Spain, BJ Hill, Reiff and add to the OL in FA and we should be good to save up for our special ones.

Need to save up for the Burrow contract though, he going to be spendy but is the most essential player we have ever had IMO.
Reply/Quote
Jonah's be expensive too...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 09:11 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: The Bengals need to front load any contracts to free agents over the next two off seasons. It could really set them up nicely when they have to extend their young stars. They could give them the money that the market will demand without weakening the team.

Or maybe that’s a bad idea…I’m only an expert in bird law.

Great IASIP drop.  Rep!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 08:42 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: No way ya get to have this many dudes out here ballin out.  What's our salary cap situation, who's contract is up soon, what are we doin?

Either these dudes are gonna choose to take a bit less than market value or somebody(s) leavin.

Our "big" UFA's this off-season will be...

Spain
Reiff
Uzi
Ogunjobi
Bates
Apple
BJ Hill

In '23, we're looking at...

Hopkins
Waynes
Bell
Pratt

'24 becomes the time for some tough choices with...

Jonah(assuming his 5th year option was picked up)
Boyd
Mixon
Higgins
Reader
Awuzie
Wilson

The next two years, we really aren't losing anybody that isn't easily replaceable aside from arguably Spain who has has played well on a 1 year prove it.  You could also put Reiff in that category, but they should honestly look to upgrade over him this off-season.

I would honestly say Mixon likely won't last til '24 until age catches up and his deal isn't viable.  Higgins will likely get reupped over Boyd.due to age and productivity.  

The big question is will the Bengals push all in in '22 and '23 at the risk of losing some guys in '24.
Reply/Quote
We need to take advantage of Burrow's rookie deal and win a ring during it. It will be MUCH harder to win once Joey B is eating up 40+ million per. Just look at the Seahawks once they paid Wilson.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We won't be paying Mixon when it's time to pay Burrow, right? I'd imagine as Mixon declines Burrow's RB of the future is an unknown drafted player.
Reply/Quote