Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can You Imagine If We Had A Good O-Line?!
According to PFF, we have the 20th ranked offensive line so far:

Quote:20. CINCINNATI BENGALS (NO CHANGE)

Best-graded: G Quinton Spain | 75.0

Worst-graded: G Jackson Carman & C Trey Hopkins | 43.5

Sometimes, you have to have faith in the greater sample size and be convinced that a player will pull his way out of a bad run of play. Quinton Spain earned a 56.7 overall PFF grade last year coming off a bad season in Buffalo in 2019 (55.8). But before that, he had three consecutive years of much better play to his name. He has bounced back in 2021 to the tune of a 75.0 overall grade. Spain has allowed just one sack and 10 total pressures and is the best-graded lineman on the team. Paired with Jonah Williams, the Bengals have a very solid left side of the line.

Given that, we're 7-4, Burrow is 11th in yards and 5th in completion percentage, and Mixon is third in yards.

Can you imagine if we had a decent offensive line that gave Burrow the time to read defenses and throw the ball with no pressure?!

If we invest in the offensive line this offseason through free agency and the draft, we could be one of the best teams in the NFL next season!

Burrow's the real deal!

Am I wrong about being this excited?!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: According to PFF, we have the 20th ranked offensive line so far:

Given that, we're 7-4, Burrow is 11th in yards and 5th in completion percentage, and Mixon is third in yards.

Can you imagine if we had a decent offensive line that gave Burrow the time to read defenses and throw the ball with no pressure?!

If we invest in the offensive line this offseason through free agency and the draft, we could be one of the best teams in the NFL next season!

Burrow's the real deal!

No your not wrong. I wasn't that impressed with the Raiders win offensively at first but when I started to rewatch it that's what I thought we just need the oline to be a little better. But Burrow does have some times were he gets a little antsy and tries to spin out where he could probably step up in the pocket and buy himself some more time.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 06:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: According to PFF, we have the 20th ranked offensive line so far:

Burrow's the real deal!

Hopkins has been playing better since the bye and Adeniji looks better than Carman, so I think the OL can (and will) climb in the overall rankings by season's end.

But yes, if they had just a couple more upgrades, this offense could be more consistent and humming quite nicely.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Weird timing for this thread considering it’s a day after our OL absolutely dominated against a team that has TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Alex Highsmith.

Yes, we should always strive to be even better, but we should also give credit when it’s due.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Weird timing for this thread considering it’s a day after our OL absolutely dominated against a team that has TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Alex Highsmith.

Especially considering these rankings are from over 3 weeks ago.

Based on our last two games I guess we would rank higher now.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: No your not wrong. I wasn't that impressed with the Raiders win offensively at first but when I started to rewatch it that's what I thought we just need the oline to be a little better. But Burrow does have some times were he gets a little antsy and tries to spin out where he could probably step up in the pocket and buy himself some more time.
To be fair, he did have a season ending injury last year and the line hasn't exactly been convincing, so I understand him being a bit uneasy.
(11-29-2021, 07:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Weird timing for this thread considering it’s a day after our OL absolutely dominated against a team that has TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Alex Highsmith.

Yes, we should always strive to be even better, but we should also give credit when it’s due.

I am giving credit where it's due, but I also see the room for improvement and the potential of this team if we can protect Burrow and open holes for Mixon.

The line did play well against the Raiders, but I also realize that playing at that level won't take us where we need to go.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:09 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: To be fair, he did have a season ending injury last year and the line hasn't exactly been convincing, so I understand him being a bit uneasy.

Yeah it's understandable. I think he'll improve as more time goes by and hopefully continue to improve the Oline. I was just pointing out that Burrow has led to some of the sacks.
Reply/Quote
Currently 16th in run blocking and 22nd in pass blocking so probably somewhere around 20 is correct if we are going by PFF.
Reply/Quote
The line has improved as the season has gone on. The rankings are much higher if you eliminate the first couple of games.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
People say we'd be unstoppable with an average line. Right now we're pretty good with a sub-par line.

People might be right on this one.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:57 PM)pally Wrote: The line has improved as the season has gone on.  The rankings are much higher if you eliminate the first couple of games.

First of all let me say that our O-line definitely needs to improve in pass blocking.

That being said on Burrows first 8 sacks he had at least 3 seconds to throw.  Holding onto the ball too long in an attempt to make big plays sometimes pays off with big plays, but you can not deny that it also leads to more sacks.  Roethlisberger and Russ Wilson are going into the Hall of Fame, and they both took a lot of sacks because they held onto the ball too long.
Reply/Quote

Burrow's the real deal!

If they stay balanced on offense, watch for that ranking to climb.  It is SO HARD to be good in the NFL if the other team knows what is coming.  Remember all the lame runs on 2nd at 10?  Remember the Browns teeing off and hitting Burrow every snap knowing it was pass?  Those things are avoided (not completely) by having a more balanced rushing attack. 

The line also now seems to have some synergy with having the same guys together for a second week, and you can sense how much they love to run block.  Every offensive lineman does!  And it wears down a defense.  

I think, like the offense, that despite a rough start, they are starting to click and could be a top 10 unit by year's end.  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 02:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all let me say that our O-line definitely needs to improve in pass blocking.

That being said on Burrows first 8 sacks he had at least 3 seconds to throw.  Holding onto the ball too long in an attempt to make big plays sometimes pays off with big plays, but you can not deny that it also leads to more sacks.  Roethlisberger and Russ Wilson are going into the Hall of Fame, and they both took a lot of sacks because they held onto the ball too long.

That is why I loved that first play against pitt:  Screen to Mixon, ball out quick, clean, and he's settled and in a groove.  The game plan against pitt was absolutely beautiful.  Get them chasing sideline to sideline then gash them.  

I have said it before (and got hammered for it) but this coaching staff seems to have a solid plan to deal with the division rivals.  
Reply/Quote
We have a good O-line. the personnel has been replenished.
Reply/Quote
A 20th ranking is light years ahead of where we've been, which was the 30-32 range. Line play has been improving all year, and Trey Hopkins seems to have really made some strides over the bye. Adeniji is playing better than Carman was. Reiff is solid, Jonah and Spain are playing pretty good ball right now. I think we'll wind up around 15th or so if the trajectory continues. That's not too shabby of a turnaround if you ask me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Are people trying to argue that the o-line is good? It’s not. It’s inconsistent. A little below average

If we actually had a good line, I’d argue we could get to the afc title game
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 01:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Are people trying to argue that the o-line is good? It’s not. It’s inconsistent. A little below average

If we actually had a good line, I’d argue we could get to the afc title game

I'm certainly not, but coming from dumpster fire to a little below average to average is a pretty big improvement in one year. Just an objective observation.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd say this O-Line brings a decent return of value. Performing pretty well without stars getting paid top dollar.

It sure could be much better, with some more expensive players, but we'd have to tim down elsewhere then. Eg. the Colts have a better line, but it cost them a quarter of the salary cap. Considering that, I am content with the line as it is.
Reply/Quote
FYI Footballoutsiders has us ranked as the #8 run blocking team and #26 pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
The future is looking very bright with Jonah, Adeniji, Carman, Prince, Hill, and Smith all being young. I will not be banging the table for any big money outside free agents this off-season. If Spain and Reiff want to play another year I would gladly have them back. Add maybe grab one in the draft and let’s keep developing these guys. It is coming together for sure and I am really excited about this group.
Reply/Quote