Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can it get any worse?
(05-05-2022, 07:30 PM)cinci4life Wrote: To be fair you can't really blame Bell for this current mess. There's something like 15 guys on the IL and most of them starters leaving him to basically put a triple A team out there every day. Sorry but there is no other manager in baseball that gets put in this situation with this team that would be doing any better right now.

This is not even close to my first anti-Bell rant. Before, having good players exposed his weak points . . . now they're camouflaged.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Another drubbing today. 3-21 and still falling. I told a friend that's a Cleveland Browns fan that when they went 1-32, they at least had some close games. Our games aren't even close.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 09:04 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Another drubbing today. 3-21 and still falling. I told a friend that's a Cleveland Browns fan that when they went 1-32, they at least had some close games. Our games aren't even close.

I saw this floating around the internet...

Wins in 2022
Bengals: 4 (6 games)
FC Cincinnati: 4 (10 games)
Reds: 3 (25 games)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I asked MS bfine if she wanted to go check out a Reds game. She said she'd rather go see a MLB game
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 05:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I asked MS bfine if she wanted to go check out a Reds game. She said she'd rather go see a MLB game

Can't say I blame her.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 06:38 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You're actually serious.

OK

I'm also an Angels fan. I maaaaaaybe disagreed with Mike Scioscia three times in 19 years. I'll do that more than three times a game with Bell.

His only decent season was the shut down year when they went with the DH, thus eliminating his favorite tool to hang himself, the double switch. Without it this year, should help him, but he would replace a pitcher that was due to hit 2nd next inning and with the double switch, he's now due to bat in the 6th spot. Sometimes, he'll only use the pitcher for that inning and then have a replacement pitcher the following inning. So instead of just pinch hitting for the pitcher and keeping the pitcher in the 9 spot, all he did was remove a starter from the lineup and moved the pitcher's slot up three places in the order.

He doesn't know what to do and appears to have zero feel for the game because he's an analytics guy. He only does what the chart tells him he should do.

He's trying to turn the Reds into a version of himself. His dream is to have a team of utility players and his constant need to make a decision or a move just for the sake of making a move takes away at bats from regulars to "keep his bench players ready". It also led to the Reds being consistently the least prepared team going into extra innings because chances are that he has already emptied his bench. You shouldn't have starting pitchers as your only pinch hitters available in the 11th inning and he's done that several times.

He's about as clueless with handling a bullpen as Dusty Baker was when he was here. Colorado was his most recent **** up, ruining a kids impressive major league debut by bringing in a curve ball pitcher in a close game in a stadium where breaking balls don't break as much. After the game he stood by his decision and more or less blamed Art Warren for not coming through.

The team sucks now, so you think removing the manager won't result in more wins so what's the point? He should have never had the spot in the first place. I would have rather that they stuck with Riggleman and I wasn't a fan of him.

What has he done to keep the job? One .500 season with an embarrassing exit in an expanded playoff. Pass.

Replace Bell with who?
Reply/Quote
It takes a special kind of suck, to lose a no hitter..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 03:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It takes a special kind of suck, to lose a no hitter..

That's our Reds. Next they're gonna go for two guys hitting for the cycle in one game and lose.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 03:06 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Replace Bell with who?

Anyone that doesn't manage by a chart. Someone that knows what to do before looking at a sheet of paper. Stats, analytics and trends should be taken into account, not the driving force in almost every one of your decisions.

Remember, they had an even more clueless manager for years in Brian Price, while I consider Bell an upgrade, it's only a slight one.

What makes you think Bell deserves to manager of a MLB team? I'm of the belief that if he wasn't a legacy hire, he would not be a MLB manager.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:24 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Anyone that doesn't manage by a chart. Someone that knows what to do before looking at a sheet of paper. Stats, analytics and trends should be taken into account, not the driving force in almost every one of your decisions.

Remember, they had an even more clueless manager for years in Brian Price, while I consider Bell an upgrade, it's only a slight one.

What makes you think Bell deserves to manager of a MLB team? I'm of the belief that if he wasn't a legacy hire, he would not be a MLB manager.

Bring back Sweet Lou.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bring back Sweet Lou.

Bring in somebody who actually knows how to manage a baseball team without looking at a computer screen.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 03:06 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Replace Bell with who?

(05-16-2022, 07:24 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Anyone that doesn't manage by a chart. Someone that knows what to do before looking at a sheet of paper. Stats, analytics and trends should be taken into account, not the driving force in almost every one of your decisions.

(05-16-2022, 08:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bring back Sweet Lou.

(05-18-2022, 09:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bring in somebody who actually knows how to manage a baseball team without looking at a computer screen.

Ok as a former Reds fan (Big Red machine days), and current Astros fan (not recent, I transitioned in the early 2000's before the recent success), it is quite clear to me that Management wants the team to lose on purpose to build the farm system.  After the "almost success" of the mid-2000's with the "Killer B's" (Berkman, Bagwell, Biggio), they had depleted their farm system to be one of the worst in the league to try and get to and win a world series.  When it was clear, their run was over, they traded away all their talent to reduce payroll in the early 2010's, hired a nobody useless manage and waited as long as possible to bring rookies up, instead of getting them to the ML level or traded away young talent for more prospects.  2011, 2012 and 2013 they averaged 108 losses per year and used those draft picks along with talent acquired via trade to replenish the farm system.

What the Reds are doing now reminds me EXACTLY of what the Astros did in the mid 2010's.  Thus management HAS the guy they want in Bell.  They want the Reds to suck to continue to build the farm system.  With that said, the owner mocking the fans, is just callus and uncalled for.  The Astros owner never did that.  My guess is the owner plans to build the farm system, bring up young talent, have a little success with the young guys, but show huge amounts of potential.....and then sell the team.  Drayton McLane sold the team right as they were finishing their third 100+ loss season.  Jim Crane then came in, fired everyone, brought in his own guys and the rest is history.

Summary:  The owner is prepping the organization to be sold and is replenishing the farm system to up value.
Reply/Quote
On a slightly-related note, it would be nice to see the Reds play in Toronto this year (FTR, I'm not a Reds fan at all lol), since they NEVER do, but I'm beyond-busy this weekend and can't make any time to attend Sad

I'm not saying we'll blow you guys out, but prepare to be mesmerized Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 09:59 AM)Stewy Wrote: Summary:  The owner is prepping the organization to be sold and is replenishing the farm system to up value.

I sure hope so ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 10:09 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: On a slightly-related note, it would be nice to see the Reds play in Toronto this year (FTR, I'm not a Reds fan at all lol), since they NEVER do, but I'm beyond-busy this weekend and can't make any time to attend Sad

I'm not saying we'll blow you guys out, but prepare to be mesmerized Wink

The Reds are the worst team in baseball, a sweep wouldn't shock me at all. The Reds pitching is getting a little better but the offense is still inconsistent. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if this team wins 60 games I'll be surprised.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:24 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Anyone that doesn't manage by a chart. Someone that knows what to do before looking at a sheet of paper. Stats, analytics and trends should be taken into account, not the driving force in almost every one of your decisions.

So you cant name a replacement for Bell?  I get it, because a good replacement wants no part of managing the Red's at this point.  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 09:59 AM)Stewy Wrote: Ok as a former Reds fan (Big Red machine days), and current Astros fan (not recent, I transitioned in the early 2000's before the recent success), it is quite clear to me that Management wants the team to lose on purpose to build the farm system.  After the "almost success" of the mid-2000's with the "Killer B's" (Berkman, Bagwell, Biggio), they had depleted their farm system to be one of the worst in the league to try and get to and win a world series.  When it was clear, their run was over, they traded away all their talent to reduce payroll in the early 2010's, hired a nobody useless manage and waited as long as possible to bring rookies up, instead of getting them to the ML level or traded away young talent for more prospects.  2011, 2012 and 2013 they averaged 108 losses per year and used those draft picks along with talent acquired via trade to replenish the farm system.

What the Reds are doing now reminds me EXACTLY of what the Astros did in the mid 2010's.  Thus management HAS the guy they want in Bell.  They want the Reds to suck to continue to build the farm system.  With that said, the owner mocking the fans, is just callus and uncalled for.  The Astros owner never did that.  My guess is the owner plans to build the farm system, bring up young talent, have a little success with the young guys, but show huge amounts of potential.....and then sell the team.  Drayton McLane sold the team right as they were finishing their third 100+ loss season.  Jim Crane then came in, fired everyone, brought in his own guys and the rest is history.

Summary:  The owner is prepping the organization to be sold and is replenishing the farm system to up value.

If the Red's were owned by a single ownership group I might believe this, but they are not.  There are so many ownership pieces involved in the Red's it makes it difficult to sell.  It would take a single ownership group that would come in and 3x plus overpay for all the ownership pieces of the Red's to agree to sell.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 02:20 PM)plantmanky Wrote: If the Red's were owned by a single ownership group I might believe this, but they are not.  There are so many ownership pieces involved in the Red's it makes it difficult to sell.  It would take a single ownership group that would come in and 3x plus overpay for all the ownership pieces of the Red's to agree to sell.  

Fair enough, but I still think they're tanking on purpose to build the farm system.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 02:18 PM)plantmanky Wrote: So you cant name a replacement for Bell?  I get it, because a good replacement wants no part of managing the Red's at this point.  

Sorry. I didn't know I was part of the job search. I don't know who is available, nor do I care, since I don't have a say. I do know that the stiff that they have in place is not helping this team win. If his Granddad wasn't a longtime Red, he wouldn't be here and most likely wouldn't be a MLB manager anywhere else, either.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 11:09 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote:  If his Granddad wasn't a longtime Red, he wouldn't be here and most likely wouldn't be a MLB manager anywhere else, either.

I am not a huge fan of Bell, but he had winning seasons each of the last two years and was in the top 10 in Manager of the Year voting in '20.
Reply/Quote