Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain what an Ide is?
Beware the Ides of March.  I've heard this saying every year but have never figured out what it meant.

What's an Ide?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Mid-month in the Roman calendar for March, May & October. Occurs on 13th or 15th, depending on the month.
Reply/Quote
Its march 15th the day Ceaser was assassinated.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Mid-month in the Roman calendar for March, May & October. Occurs on 13th or 15th, depending on the month.

This. ^
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I didn't know if it meant something ominous. So it's really just the middle of a month.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 01:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Mid-month in the Roman calendar for March, May & October. Occurs on 13th or 15th, depending on the month.

More specifically, it originally referred to the first full moon of the month but was narrowed down on the middle of the month.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 07:19 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Interesting.  I didn't know if it meant something ominous.  So it's really just the middle of a month.

As Xenomorph noted, the warning to beware the Ides of March became a famous expression because Caesar was warned about the day(s) and ignored the warning and then was assassinated by a group of "friends."

I think Caesar's wife had visited a soothsayer and received the warning from her and in turn passed it on to him. According to some the expression "stabbed in the back" is linked to Caesar's murder as well.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 06:53 AM)xxlt Wrote: As Xenomorph noted, the warning to beware the Ides of March became a famous expression because Caesar was warned about the day(s) and ignored the warning and then was assassinated by a group of "friends."

I think Caesar's wife had visited a soothsayer and received the warning from her and in turn passed it on to him. According to some the expression "stabbed in the back" is linked to Caesar's murder as well.

It were Senators that stabbed him.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 06:53 AM)xxlt Wrote: As Xenomorph noted, the warning to beware the Ides of March became a famous expression because Caesar was warned about the day(s) and ignored the warning and then was assassinated by a group of "friends."

Caesar got Jon Snow'd.... 

lol
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 08:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: It were Senators that stabbed him.

Et Tu hollodero?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You clearly need more Shakespeare and early Iron Maiden in your life Hawk.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 09:47 PM)jason Wrote: You clearly need more Shakespeare and early Iron Maiden in your life Hawk.

I'm not arguing with that!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 09:47 PM)jason Wrote: You clearly need more Shakespeare and early Iron Maiden in your life Hawk.

No time for that they are expecting a baby ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
[Image: 61745dcb6188be3d0c48b0f6492e5030.jpg]

40 oz, homie.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Integrated Development Environment. Basically, it's the software programmers use to write other software.
Well your honor, we've plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence. - Lionel Hutz
Reply/Quote
A colloquial contraction still used in many areas of the deep South.

Ex. "Ide like tuh go wit you, but muh hound dog is sick."
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Ide ont know
Reply/Quote
Internal Decompression Emission. It's a fart.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 09:45 PM)jason Wrote: Et Tu hollodero?

??? ...I didn't do anything! 
Wouldn't have it in me, I shy away from Brute force.

Please also note that my latin name is "holloderus", why you must use "hollodere" when addressing me in Latin. Vocative. 
Reply/Quote