Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Bengals offense produce 3-1,000 yd performers this year?
I realize the Browns have added big time talent this off season.
they are the darlings of the off season.

but the Bengals offensive talent is being severly overlooked by most
media outlets.
Leading AFC rusher in yards Joe Mixon....check
top 5 slot receiver Tyler Boyd....check
AJ Green healthy...check.
Andy Dalton healthy check.
Gio Benard healthy check
Eifert and Uzomah healthy...check check.
upgrade at RG..John Miller...check.
offensive minded HC...check.

I believe if all is healthy. Mixon Boyd Green can each achieve 1,000 yds. thats 66.3 yds per game.
Green was on pace for 1,000 last year before injury
Boyd got 1,000 not playing a full season.
Mixon got his behind a under acheiving oline.

now you have Taylor / Callahan who are ready to establish their names in the NFL as offensive creative minds.
even if the run pass ratio is changed a bit I can Green/Boyd getting 1000 yd a piece especially with the TEs occupying the middle of the field
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I realize the Browns have added big time talent this off season.

media outlets.
Gio Benard healthy check

I believe if all is healthy. Mixon Boyd Green can each achieve 1,000 yds. thats 66.3 yds per game.

now you have Taylor / Callahan who are ready to establish their names in the NFL as offensive creative minds.
even if the run pass ratio is changed a bit I can Green/Boyd getting 1000 yd a piece especially with the TEs occupying the middle of the field

No speaky of Ross?

I bet it will be more spread out then just 3 guys and i think that is the proper way to go about it. Boyd and Mixon were great last year but i think Ross maybe could break out himself once he gets on the same page with Dalton and i don't want us to overwork Mixon either.

I really think Dalton is the one guy that could have a monster year especially if we take care of the RT position.

Both Green and Mixon should have 1,000 yard seasons though if they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I realize the Browns have added big time talent this off season.
Until I see it on the field, the Browns are the Eagles "Dream Team 2.0". Mayfield may be a good QB, or he may ultimately flop. Sophmore slumps happen in the NFL, especially to QB's once defensive coordinators get NFL game film on them (Vince Young, RGIII to name two). Plus injuries happen. Who knows who or how many key pieces the Browns have will stay healthy? They could be good, or they could be the Browns and implode spectacularly, only time (and the games) will tell.

They won't have Hunt for the first half of the season, and who knows how long OBJ'll last before realizing that the media attention he gets in Cleveland is 1/100th that of what he was getting in NY, or gets hurt, or throws a tantrum, or any number of things that OBJ has done/could easily be conceived to do that'll inadvertently torpedo the Browns.

This is a team that's entire identity is based on grasping defeat from the jaws of victory over the last 40+ years. Even when they were good in the 80's what does anyone remember about those Browns? Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, that's what. They have a literal TRILOGY of unbelievable, legendary playoff collapses all from just one decade. The Browns are (amusingly) the Charlie Brown of the NFL, and the rest of the league is Lucy pulling the ball away at the last second. And while we haven't had much luck either, we've got a long way to go (even with the 90's) to catch up to the Browns in Super Bowl era futility.

As far as our offense goes? Sure, 3x 1,000 yard players is possible. Like you said, if A.J. doesn't get hurt they'd of had it last year. If Miller makes the right interior slightly more stable, and Hart can stop his whirling dervish (or human turnstile) impression, the Offense should be in good shape. I'm more concerned about the Defense, to be honest.
Reply/Quote

media outlets.
Gio Benard healthy check

it would be cool...  Id personally love it

Hopefully we don't have to have it to win but it be fun to watch
Reply/Quote
No idea. I think a WR should be added within the first 4 rounds. After Boyd, nobody has shown anything, really. There were opportunities when injuries struck last season, and nobody took advantage of them. Outside of Erickson as a teams guy and Ross as an investment being a first rounder, I view every other guy at he lower end as replaceable.
Reply/Quote
if they drafted a WR in RD 2 3 or I would not complain.
K'Neal Harry would be a steal in RD 2 or 3.

I think Ross is primed to make that 3rd yr jump.
Reply/Quote
If our defense does not improve we could have a guy with 1000 kick off return yards.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If our defense does not improve we could have a guy with 1000 kick off return yards.

Totally OT, but interesting NFL trivia question.

Who is the only player in NFL history with over 2000 yards returning kickoffs in one season?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Totally OT, but interesting NFL trivia question.

Who is the only player in NFL history with over 2000 yards returning kickoffs in one season?

MarTay Jenkins in 2000 for the Cardinals with 2,186 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: if they drafted a WR in RD 2 3 or I would not complain.

boyd didn't really shine till year 3 so that's my hope as well
Reply/Quote
With how potentially bad this defense could be, our offense could have a statistically great year. They will be playing from behind a lot, which means lots of garbage stats to make us look good! Hooray!
Reply/Quote
A lot will hinge on the overall health of the roster, especially Andy. The Oline is still a concern of mine and many others, but if they can play just average and remain healthy we'll have a darn good shot. 
The LB corps needs a LOT of help.. We shall see. The draft and the rest of free agency can't come soon enough now.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This offense can absolutely produce 3 1000 yard producers. Mixon can rush for it, green and/or Boyd receiving and if dalton stays healthy he'll easily pass for a thousand ?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Totally OT, but interesting NFL trivia question.

Was going to throw deon sanders name out but after looking I wasn’t even close.

As for OP, sure we can produce 3-1ks. Specially if that line improves. Ross won’t be one of them.

Reply/Quote
We all know that the Bengals have some talented individuals, capable of being at or near the top of their respective position groups in statistical performance. I'm more concerned with scoring the ball, and winning the games. In fact, I'd like to see them go the route of the Saints offense, and spread that ball around, get the entire roster on the stat sheet (so to speak).

Edit: Brees threw TDs to 13 different receivers last season, and 4 different Saints scored rushing TDs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: boyd didn't really shine till year 3 so that's my hope as well

He wasn't exactly a turd as a rookie though... Just disappeared in his second season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

media outlets.
Gio Benard healthy check

Love your optimism, and I think the forgotten men on the roster are Gio and Ross.  Yes, we know what we have in AJ Green and Tyler Boyd.  But the missing piece has been burning teams with Ross and using match-ups to get him in to space.  Same goes for Gio.  Old offense:  Gio's on the field, it is a pass....he's good at blitz pick up...and when he was targeted he was a stationary checkdown with his back to the defense.  He would catch the ball and BAM!  He gets drilled for about a 3 yard gain.  I am sure Taylor and his crew will have motion, misdirection, and crossing routes (ever notice how the Pats kill the steelers with those???) and will use Gio like the Swiss Army Knife he can be.  

I am not saying to take Mixon off the field, but put Gio in the slot from time to time.  Put Boyd outside.  Give Ross a blow.  

There are so many intriguing possibilities.  I think the offense will be a lot of fun to watch.  The defense still worries me.  I'm hoping for an impact LB and DT that can play right away.  I also hope a guy like Thornhill is available in the 3rd (or a 2nd second rounder should we trade back) to boost our SS position. 

We have the back end, but the middle and front four need addressed.  I can't wait to see the draft and hope we have all cylinders firing come OTAs.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No speaky of Ross?

I bet it will be more spread out then just 3 guys and i think that is the proper way to go about it. Boyd and Mixon were great last year but i think Ross maybe could break out himself once he gets on the same page with Dalton and i don't want us to overwork Mixon either.

I really think Dalton is the one guy that could have a monster year especially if we take care of the RT position.

Both Green and Mixon should have 1,000 yard seasons though if they stay healthy.

Beat me to it with Ross...as usual, sharing the same brain but yours is a little faster.   ThumbsUp

I think one of the fun aspects that I am looking forward to is (hopefully) a coach that keeps the foot on someone's throat (and maybe pushes even harder) than one that gets a 10 point lead in the second quarter and tries to play kill the clock.  We were pathetic in the 3rd quarter and in the end of the first half of games.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: if they drafted a WR in RD 2 3 or I would not complain.

If Harry is there in Rd 2, they will jump at it.  Teams might shy away from him because he doesn't generate a ton of separation but he is a Michael Thomas 2.0 in terms of catch radius and strength/ability to box out.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Beat me to it with Ross...as usual, sharing the same brain but yours is a little faster.   ThumbsUp

I think one of the fun aspects that I am looking forward to is (hopefully) a coach that keeps the foot on someone's throat (and maybe pushes even harder) than one that gets a 10 point lead in the second quarter and tries to play kill the clock.  We were pathetic in the 3rd quarter and in the end of the first half of games.  

Yeah, we pretty much have always agreed on Ross and on most things. I was saying in the Mixon thread how if there is one thing that really has me excited this season it is the Offense now that we have an offensive minded coach instead of a defensive minded one like we always had in Marv. This could be a huge change and we might not be near as frustrated as we have been in the past when Marv's teams would do exactly what you say here and try to just hold onto leads.
Reply/Quote