Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we do it for Coach Lewis
Everything aside, the man deserves to get a playoff win with his coaching career. Hopefully the guys get him one and send him off right. It'll be a weird ending to a great era for this generation if he somehow never achieves the big win.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/25/marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-playoff-history-nfl-coaches
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Playoff win? I want to see a freakin' Super Bowl Championship! Hell, I've been a fan much longer than Lewis has been the coach. I've seen them lose two, in my lifetime. Third time is supposed to be the charm, right?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
1. No "we" can't, because we're not NFL players. Ninja

2. Dude's hit his ceiling. He was good for rebuilding a team and getting them to win games, but he's never been good when the pressure is on and he can't prepare his teams for it. Prime time/playoff games have always been something his teams have rarely won, regardless of the players involved or the level of competition in the game. He's had at least like 3-4 distinctly different teams now as a Bengals HC and they all look the same in those moments.

Common thread between them? Him.

- - - - - - - -
Side note: Yeah, Sunset is right. With the talent the team has had last year and this year, a single playoff win is a failure. That was the goal back when Dalton was a rookie/2nd year player and this team was all young and such. The window will probably never be open more than he's had lately, so yeah, SB appearance is pretty much the only acceptable goal right now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playoff win?  I want to see a freakin' Super Bowl Championship!  Hell, I've been a fan much longer than Lewis has been the coach.  I've seen them lose two, in my lifetime.  Third time is supposed to be the charm, right?

Agree

I mean where we/he is now just a playoff win is not enough !

Don't get me wrong we have to get over the playoff win hump and it would be great to actually do it. But it's not going to complete ML's resume, great ending to his career or whatever.
Reply/Quote
SUPERBOWL, SUPERBOWL! Marv is gone soon one way or another. I'd just hate to see the guy go next year without at least a playoff win on his resume. Do I think he can do it? He's had his shots, so you can't feel to bad for him. The Lewis era could end in a thud. A historical one. If they get a win, all bets are off. I think they will loosen up after the monkey is off their back. If Marvin can't get it this season, and doesn't return, I wonder if he'd take another HC coaching job, or be done.

Reply/Quote
Just because I'm critical of Marv after playoff losses doesn't mean I don't like the guy. I'd love to see him go out on top, or for pete's sake...just get that damn playoff monkey off his back. He'll have a great legacy in Cincy if he could get that out of the way. If he doesn't, he'll be remembered as much for frustration as success.

Btw, I tend to put more blame at the coach's feet than the players. Especially when it's been multiple sets of players and the same result.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can he do it for us? I have my doubts.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 09:09 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Can he do it for us?  I have my doubts.

Really?  Why do you think so?

I mean he's assembled not only a mega talented roster, but has had position coaches and coordinators plucked from his staff like he's the second tree of Belichick. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How many times does this need to be said??

Lewis leaves when Lewis retires. He is signed for 2017.

I'm not going to get into a pointless debate about this man because it makes no sense. You can bash him and make ultimatum statements until the cows come home, but it won't change the fact that ..........

HE STAYS UNTIL HE CHOOSES TO RETIRE!!!!!
(It's not rocket science)
Reply/Quote
I don't know what's different, but I'm sold this being his last season if he doesn't win a playoff game. I've been wrong before though, but this season feels different. Maybe it's the purging of the coaches. They won't risk losing Guenther. I don't think anyway. But you never know. I think we've finally reached that make or break year.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 09:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't know what's different, but I'm sold this being his last season if he doesn't win a playoff game. I've been wrong before though, but this season feels different. Maybe it's the purging of the coaches. They won't risk losing Guenther. I don't think anyway. But you never know. I think we've finally reached that make or break year.

Haven't we been saying this for a couple years now?

They let Zimmer go to keep Lewis. They let Hue go to keep Lewis. They will let Guenther go to keep Lewis.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playoff win?  I want to see a freakin' Super Bowl Championship!  Hell, I've been a fan much longer than Lewis has been the coach.  I've seen them lose two, in my lifetime.  Third time is supposed to be the charm, right?

Damn rights Sunset, damn rights.
Reply/Quote
SB or bust baby. This is the team and the competition isn't better in any way. Not one team out there that is obviously better than us. GO mental Bengals (in a good way) and bring that glorious trophy to Cincy!  Who Dey

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 09:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  Why do you think so?

I mean he's assembled not only a mega talented roster, but has had position coaches and coordinators plucked from his staff like he's the second tree of Belichick. 

Never agreed so strongly with a person's post (about 1 win not being enough) only to strongly disagree with their very next post in the same thread. Lol

It's easy to think so because he's 0-7 in the playoffs. He is literally the worst playoff coach in the history of the NFL. Mora went 0-6, but did it with two different teams. No other coach in NFL history is more than 0-3.

Pete Rose's hit record, Cal Ripken Jr's MLB Iron Man record, Brett Favre's NFL Iron Man Record, and Marvin Lewis' postseason winless streak....

...Records that will never be broken in the future.

Reply/Quote
I want to know why 13 entire rosters of NFL players have felt so inclined to let this man down and crush his dreams of winning a playoff game. After that I want to know why 25 years worth of NFL players have chosen to deny Mike Brown the success he so richly deserves.

A combined 38 years of futility for these two men, all thanks to a mere thousand football players. Bastards.

Honestly, I think we need to do a complete overhaul of the roster until we actually find some players willing to win for these two guys, because so far...they have REFUSED.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin Lewis hasn't done it by now, I hate to say it but it's just not going to happen.

I will say this though, this will be Dalton's sixth year and it's this season coming up that the Bengals should be winning the Super Bowl. That's my bar, winning the Super Bowl this year.

Dalton's first year the team and Dalton only have to progress, they exceeded all expectations.
Dalton's second year, the team has at least a winning record and Dalton continues to get better.
Dalton's third year, the team makes the playoffs, Dalton continues to progress.
Dalton's fourth year, the team wins a playoff game or two and gets to the AFC Championship game.
Dalton's fifth year, the team makes it to the Super Bowl and Dalton grows to almost elite.
Dalton's sixth year, the team wins the Super Bowl, Dalton is elite.

This is the last year' the bar is set and that bar is winning the Super Bowl. I just don't have faith that Marvin Lewis can coach a team to the top but we shall see.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 04:46 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If Marvin Lewis hasn't done it by now, I hate to say it but it's just not going to happen.

I will say this though, this will be Dalton's sixth year and it's this season coming up that the Bengals should be winning the Super Bowl. That's my bar, winning the Super Bowl this year.

Dalton's first year the team and Dalton only have to progress, they exceeded all expectations.
Dalton's second year, the team has at least a winning record and Dalton continues to get better.
Dalton's fourth year, the team wins a playoff game or two and gets to the AFC Championship game.
Dalton's fifth year, the team makes it to the Super Bowl and Dalton grows to almost elite.

This is the last year' the bar is set and that bar is winning the Super Bowl. I just don't have faith that Marvin Lewis can coach a team to the top but we shall see.

Really Daltons first year here people were expecting us to only win 3-4 games. They lost their OC they lost their QB they lost their top 2 WRs, and didn't have any proven receivers, they brought in a rookie OC, a rookie QB, and a rookie WR. Then to top it all off the defense wasn't all that good (was 24th in points allowed in 2010). To go and make the playoffs was totally unexpected that year.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 04:46 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If Marvin Lewis hasn't done it by now, I hate to say it but it's just not going to happen.

How so? I've played golf for 8 years now. I've never hit a hole in one before. Does that mean I will never hit a hole in one because I've never did it before? Probably not. Really high chance, but not guaranteed. Could get lucky or better at the game. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: Everything aside, the man deserves to get a playoff win with his coaching career. Hopefully the guys get him one and send him off right. It'll be a weird ending to a great era for this generation if he somehow never achieves the big win.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/25/marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-playoff-history-nfl-coaches

I am 100% pulling for Marv. I give marv alot of crap, but he is a good coach. I just wish that he could find a way to get this team over the top.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 09:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just because I'm critical of Marv after playoff losses doesn't mean I don't like the guy. I'd love to see him go out on top, or for pete's sake...just get that damn playoff monkey off his back. He'll have a great legacy in Cincy if he could get that out of the way. If he doesn't, he'll be remembered as much for frustration as success.

Btw, I tend to put more blame at the coach's feet than the players. Especially when it's been multiple sets of players and the same result.

Which is why i have zero faith he will ever win a single playoff game never mind going to the SB. Some people can only do so much in their careers, his stops at the playoffs. Its a whole new level from the regular season and he has the stats to prove he can't prepare/execute it for the playoffs. 

As much as you hope this year is going to be different....it won't.
Reply/Quote