Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk Joe Burrow?
Prediction: Joe Burrow > Andrew Luck
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
400+ yds and 7 TDs, first half.
Reply/Quote
I dont know how you can argue chase young over burrow. Chase young does not change the bengals the way a franchise qb would.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:16 PM)treee Wrote: Prediction: Joe Burrow > Andrew Luck

Just give him 4 games in a Bengals uni, then it'll be Joe Burrow > Peyton Manning..   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After that performance against OU, I'd be absolutely stunned if we didn't take Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Let's not anoint Joe Burrow yet no matter how well deserved he still has one more game left.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 01:47 AM)Synric Wrote: Let's not anoint Joe Burrow yet no matter how well deserved he still has one more game left.

You don't have to, and I'd understand the hesitance, but holy crap watching the game today was ridiculous.  SEVEN TD's  (and ran for one as well).  Oklahoma is a pretty dang good team!   

And then.... after watching Clemson vs. OSU, I'm dying to see if Burrow cuts up Clemson D.  Really, if Burrow does what he did to OK, the pick is in.  LOL.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 03:17 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: You don't have to, and I'd understand the hesitance, but holy crap watching the game today was ridiculous.  SEVEN TD's  (and ran for one as well).  Oklahoma is a pretty dang good team!   

And then.... after watching Clemson vs. OSU, I'm dying to see if Burrow cuts up Clemson D.  Really, if Burrow does what he did to OK, the pick is in.  LOL.

At this point, if Burrow isn't the pick, who is?  I mean the only other guy really left in the conversation is Chase Young, and he just had his 3rd straight game without a sack.  I'm certainly not saying Young isn't a great prospect, but his star has faded under the bright lights and Burrow has arguably played his best down the stretch.  Unless Burrow comes out and does a line of coke out of a cheerleader's ass crack and chuck 5 picks in the NCG, he has to be the guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 03:17 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: You don't have to, and I'd understand the hesitance, but holy crap watching the game today was ridiculous.  SEVEN TD's  (and ran for one as well).  Oklahoma is a pretty dang good team!   

The pick should already be in. Hes tore through almost all the best D in college. Hes goingbto have another good game against Clemson. 

Young is not the guy for us. If we had a franchise qb then absolutely he would be.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 04:29 AM)Whatever Wrote: At this point, if Burrow isn't the pick, who is?  I mean the only other guy really left in the conversation is Chase Young, and he just had his 3rd straight game without a sack.  I'm certainly not saying Young isn't a great prospect, but his star has faded under the bright lights and Burrow has arguably played his best down the stretch.  Unless Burrow comes out and does a line of coke out of a cheerleader's ass crack and chuck 5 picks in the NCG, he has to be the guy.

The problem with Young, or any DE, is they can be neutralized by scheme. Quarterbacks can be schemed out too but that’s typically running QBs who can’t pass well.

I think the evidence was clear yesterday how a really good QB can impact a game compared to a really good DE.

The pick has to be Burrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I dont know how you can argue chase young over burrow. Chase young does not change the bengals the way a franchise qb would.

Any player is a gamble, but qb more than most
 Young is as close to a lock as anything in this draft, which gives you a competent defensive playermaker for several years over a highly likely qb.

I'm ok either way. Personally, I'm more of a defense guy, so I'm open to that idea. If you have an Andy type qb and our current offense, you're going to get 3-4 scores a game most games. If you have a good enough defense, you can hold a team to less than that. And get better field position for your offense. At least on paper. 
Reply/Quote
I seen alot of toss up balls where the receivers made alot of plays. Burrow better have a mind like Manning cause I dont see the talent in his arm.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:18 PM)Benton Wrote: Any player is a gamble, but qb more than most
 Young is as close to a lock as anything in this draft, which gives you a competent defensive playermaker for several years over a highly likely qb.

I'm ok either way. Personally, I'm more of a defense guy, so I'm open to that idea. If you have an Andy type qb and our current offense, you're going to get 3-4 scores a game most games. If you have a good enough defense, you can hold a team to less than that. And get better field position for your offense. At least on paper. 

You have a good point. Drafting young gives you a guy who has a really good chance at being all pro very early on. But defensive ends are a luxury pick when you are drafting high and you really need that franchise quarterback. 

Today was evidence enough that Andy cant be that guy anymore. He threw 2 really bad picks today and had some bad completions. I cant find a reason why the bengals should draft chase young, then draft a guy 2nd round who needs some time to develop, then keep Andy for another year and basically have groundhog day. I dont want Andy for another year and I dont want to draft a guy who sits. I honestly think burrow starting week 1 will be ok as long as we commit to the running game until he completely adjusts to the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:49 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I seen alot of toss up balls where the receivers made alot of plays. Burrow better have a mind like Manning cause I dont see the talent in his arm.

Escapes pressure on the run without setting his feet makes a 42 yard perfectly placed throw on the outside shoulder for a touchdown. There should not be any questions about Joe Burrow's arm. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:12 AM)Synric Wrote:  

Escapes pressure on the run without setting his feet makes a 42 yard perfectly placed throw on the outside shoulder for a touchdown. There should not be any questions about Joe Burrow's arm. 

Yeah every once and awhile there will be a good throw..now show me his under throws where the receivers made a play..multiple times. Find those clips because there are quite a few.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:12 AM)Synric Wrote:  

You’ve made a valiant effort, Synric, but if people are not convinced at this point they were never going to change their minds. It’s just a waste of time.

It’s mind baffling that anyone would not want this kid, but people never fail to surprise me.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 01:15 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I assume you mean he has the highest career completion percentage.  As someone who saw a fair amount of Peyton Manning, I assure you Burrow isn't the most accurate.

As someone who saw a ton of Manning, yes, Burrow is more accurate than Manning was.  

In fact, I've honestly never seen a QB as accurate as Burrow on such a consistent basis.  From a completion % standpoint, the OU game was one of his worst this year.

My comp for Burrow is Manning.  His mental game is his strength as well as his accuracy.  Manning never had the rocket arm, but he still got the job done at a high level.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’ve made a valiant effort, Synric, but if people are not convinced at this point they were never going to change their minds. It’s just a waste of time.

It’s mind baffling that anyone would not want this kid, but people never fail to surprise me.

Welcome to any online "debates" among adults. Most will fight tooth and nail to defend their stance, never actually willing to admit wrong or see the other side. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I've seen plenty of fans lament the fact that we didn't take Mahomes in 2017, or Jackson in 2018. I don't want to play this game with Burrow too. I'd rather swing and miss on him then spend years playing the "What if?" game.

If we draft Burrow and he doesn't pan out? Fine. Nobody would fault us for taking a shot on the top-rated QB prospect.
If we don't draft Burrow and he goes to another team and dominates? We would never hear the end of it.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
As I keep telling people, "Arm Talent" is overrated. You know who had "Arm Talent"? Jamarcus Russell, Brock Osweiller, Paxton Lynch, Ryan Mallet, all had TONS of arm talent, you know what that means? Absolutely nothing. Being able to throw the ball really hard, is less important than trajectory and placement. There is a minimum threshold for throwing power in the NFL, and he is easily above it, after that it's nice sure but really doesn't make a big difference.

The problem is people have fallen in love with Mahomes and so every QB now has to be able to throw 70 yards across his body falling backwards. That not only isn't common, it's not really good either. Mahomes gets himself in trouble at times being over confident in his arm but they have a great coaching setup there that reigns him in enough to make hit work. More often then not the guys with Cannons are like Josh Allen who lack any sort of touch and throw fast balls on a drag and it shoots through a guys hands or sails high.

If anything his ability to throw on the move laterally with out much lower body drive should make people feel better. Throws are made from the ground up. The drive off your drop back foot is what generates most the power outside of guys like Rodgers and Mahomes who can muscle it. If he actually got to throw in rhythm with drive more often I'd bet his "Arm Talent" would look a lot better, but considering a lot of his big throws are while moving, requiring him to square his shoulders with his lower body out of phase tells me he is perfectly fine arm strength wise.
Reply/Quote