Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidate suggests taking 'all the boats out of the water' to lower sea levels
Mellow

https://www.rawstory.com/scott-pio-sea-level/

Quote:A Republican state legislative candidate in Virginia posed an interesting question on Twitter recently.

"I'm curious, Do you think the sea level would lower, if we just took all the boats out of the water? Just a thought, not a statement," wrote Scott Pio, who is challenging Democratic Del. David Reid in Loudoun County's District 32.

Pro-Trump candidate suggests taking 'all the boats out of the water' to lower sea levelsyoutu.be
Pio subsequently deleted his tweet, but not before it was picked up by the Democratic group Blue Virginia.

Pio later wrote in response to Blue Virginia's post, "When you take things out of bath water, the bath water decreases, does it not? Got a lot of hate from your group for asking a question about taking things out of the water. Curious when you stopped believing in pure physics? I guess you don't believe in science experiments?"

In its post, Blue Virginia pointed to some of Pio's other views, including his opposition to abortion in all cases, and his belief that there should be no restrictions on guns.

"The scary thing is, this guy's not an outlier for today's Republican Party – the party of Donald Trump, Marjorie Taylor-Greene, Lauren Boebert, Bob Good, Ken Cuccinelli, Glenn Youngkin, Winsome Sears, Jason Miyares, etc.," Blue Virginia wrote. "Which means, of course, that we'd better not let these people take power, here in Virginia or nationally, unless/until their entire party fundamentally changes back to sanity and actual, conservative principles, not extremist lunacy."

According to a tweet from last November, Pio is the organizer of the "Trump International Rapid Response Team," which mobilizes in support of the former president when he golfs in Virginia.

Randall Munroe, an engineer who authors the award-winning webcomic XKCD, recently calculated an estimated answer to Pio's question about the impact of removing all boats from the water. Munroe concluded that the impact on sea levels would be "about six microns—slightly more than the diameter of a strand of spider silk."

"But you don't have to worry about that six-micron sea level drop," Munroe wrote. "The oceans are currently rising at about 3.3 millimeters per year due to global warming (through both glacial melting and thermal expansion of seawater). At that rate (normalized for seasonal variation and short-term fluctations), if you removed every ship from the ocean, the water would be back up to its original average level in 16 hours."

[Image: image.jpg?id=27651399&width=980]

My favorite part is he then doubled down with "science experiments".   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 10:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

https://www.rawstory.com/scott-pio-sea-level/

Pio later wrote in response to Blue Virginia's post, "When you take things out of bath water, the bath water decreases, does it not? Got a lot of hate from your group for asking a question about taking things out of the water. Curious when you stopped believing in pure physics? I guess you don't believe in science experiments?"

I'd have thought he was joking--until that response.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The surface area of the oceans is something like 225m square miles. Removing all the ships would remove about 3 cubic miles of water displacement, which would result in the water being lowered by an amount not visible to the human eye.

And that amount will be replaced in 12 hours...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If he wants to make a difference, take out the land masses. Think how much lower the water would be with no continents.
Reply/Quote
Be more effective to remove all the trash from the oceans, but what do I know?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 11:57 PM)Dill Wrote: I'd have thought he was joking--until that response.

(10-13-2021, 11:31 AM)Benton Wrote: If he wants to make a difference, take out the land masses. Think how much lower the water would be with no continents.

(10-13-2021, 11:51 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Be more effective to remove all the trash from the oceans, but what do I know?

And since he was obviously serious, really the correct follow up question to him should "And then what?"

You've eliminated all fishing, shipping and cruises.  Now what do you do?

The gop is not sending us their best.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote