Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain Nails It On Patriotism
(09-02-2016, 03:46 PM)McC Wrote: This might be the stupidest post I've ever read.  Paris Hilton and Charlie Sheen?  And the Kardashians?  Being on TMZ doesn't make you royalty.  You really are outside your senses.  And now you're comparing Colin Kaepernick to Moses.  That is just nutty.

So, here is a simplified/paraphrased summary of the dialogue:

You: if you are raised as a prince you can't be a doofus.

Me: wow, what a peculiar world view - lot's of well of people are doofuses.

You: you are crazy.

So is the distinction that you can be wealthy and a doofus, but not royalty or raised in a royal household? Again, I find this a particularly peculiar, un-American, and disturbing world view. 

Since you clearly are all in on this viewpoint, could you expand on it a bit? What exactly are the elements of royalty or being raised in a royal household that prevent human flaws, errors, and failings? (Just to be absolutely clear, the definition of doofus is, "a stupid or foolish person." Doofus doesn't mean poor - perhaps that is where things went off the rails.)
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-31-2016, 06:20 PM)McC Wrote: If it had come from a different guy, it might have been a different story.  But it came from a doofus. 

What makes you say Kaepernick is a doofus?
(09-03-2016, 09:48 AM)xxlt Wrote: So, here is a simplified/paraphrased summary of the dialogue:

You: if you are raised as a prince you can't be a doofus.

Me: wow, what a peculiar world view - lot's of well of people are doofuses.

You: you are crazy.

So is the distinction that you can be wealthy and a doofus, but not royalty or raised in a royal household? Again, I find this a particularly peculiar, un-American, and disturbing world view. 

Since you clearly are all in on this viewpoint, could you expand on it a bit? What exactly are the elements of royalty or being raised in a royal household that prevent human flaws, errors, and failings? (Just to be absolutely clear, the definition of doofus is, "a stupid or foolish person." Doofus doesn't mean poor - perhaps that is where things went off the rails.)
You really don't know what royalty is?  Obviously not, since you think Charlie Sheen is royalty.  Still shaking my head over that one.  That is just plain goofy.

Years 1-40: From Slave to Prince

Born the son of a Hebrew slave, Moses survived because he was rescued, saved and eventually adopted by Pharaoh's daughter (Exodus 2:1-10). He was given the best education, training and preparation that Egypt could offer (Acts 7:22). In keeping with education given to Egyptian royalty, he was probably tutored by retired military and political leaders. It must have seemed to all who knew him that Moses' first 40 years prepared him for leadership and fame.

Does that sound like a doofus?

And your definition of a doofus, which in no way describes Moses, btw, is a perfect description of Colin Kaepernick.  You know, your prophet, the guy who never said a word about the oppressed until now?  Did he care about the oppressed the first five years in the league or ever, for that matter or was he just keeping it to himself?

I'm sorry you don't recognize a publicity stunt when you see it, but I do.

And for the record, history is full of idiots from Royal families.  Moses was just not one of them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(09-02-2016, 09:03 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'll have to interject here. Yes, Moses was indeed a doofus. The dude led people wandering around in the desert for 40 years and when it came to to enter the Promised Land, he wasn't allowed to go because he got mad decades earlier when the people were complaining they didn't have any water. 

The whole point of the Bible is that we are all doofuses in our own way. Everyone, that is, but Jesus. 

Sorry, but Moses was not a doofus. 

I believe the Israelites roamed the desert for 40 years as punishment for pagan behavior and that  Moses was not allowed to enter the Promised Land because he lost his faith and disobeyed God.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

(09-03-2016, 09:40 AM)xxlt Wrote: I feel like I may have shared this before with you but you may enjoy this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Forgetting-Root-Emergence-Christianity-Judaism/dp/0809127784

Dr. Callan is a Yale grad if I remember correctly, and he taught me at a small school in Cincinnati. I always find it funny when other posters assume since I do not brand myself as a Christian that I know nothing of the Bible. In their minds it must be like the moment you see one on a coffee table you have to submit to its truth, but not necessarily open it. I studied it quite a bit over the years, and your knowledge of it is evident and refreshing, hence mentioning the book you might enjoy. NB it is an academic book, not a novel (doubt I needed to point that out, lol). 

Indeed, I have the book. I ordered it and read it after our last conversation on the subject! ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-03-2016, 02:58 PM)McC Wrote: Sorry, but Moses was not a doofus. 

I believe the Israelites roamed the desert for 40 years as punishment for pagan behavior and that  Moses was not allowed to enter the Promised Land because he lost his faith and disobeyed God.

"he lost his faith and disobeyed God" = doofus

And it is even more damning due to all of the miracles he witnessed and God performed through him before the incident.

But we are all doofuses in God's eyes because none of us are as pure as Jesus. Which, in the theology, is why Jesus had to die to atone for the sins of the world.

BTW- God doesn't assign letter grades on doofusism. It is pass or fail.
(09-03-2016, 05:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: "he lost his faith and disobeyed God" = doofus

And it is even more damning due to all of the miracles he witnessed and God performed through him before the incident.

But we are all doofuses in God's eyes because none of us are as pure as Jesus. Which, in the theology, is why Jesus had to die to atone for the sins of the world.

BTW- God doesn't assign letter grades on doofusism. It is pass or fail.

I remember reading about how only God can judge us. I thought that meant He judged whether we went to Heaven or Hell. According to whatever source I was reading, my thinking was incorrect. Our destination is determined by whether we are saved or not. Judgement Day determines if our Heavenly stay gets upgraded. Kinda like Vegas. In a way, isn't that a letter grade?
(09-03-2016, 02:51 PM)McC Wrote: You really don't know what royalty is?  Obviously not, since you think Charlie Sheen is royalty.  Still shaking my head over that one.  That is just plain goofy.

Years 1-40: From Slave to Prince

Born the son of a Hebrew slave, Moses survived because he was rescued, saved and eventually adopted by Pharaoh's daughter (Exodus 2:1-10). He was given the best education, training and preparation that Egypt could offer (Acts 7:22). In keeping with education given to Egyptian royalty, he was probably tutored by retired military and political leaders. It must have seemed to all who knew him that Moses' first 40 years prepared him for leadership and fame.

Does that sound like a doofus?

And your definition of a doofus, which in no way describes Moses, btw, is a perfect description of Colin Kaepernick.  You know, your prophet, the guy who never said a word about the oppressed until now?  Did he care about the oppressed the first five years in the league or ever, for that matter or was he just keeping it to himself?

I'm sorry you don't recognize a publicity stunt when you see it, but I do.

And for the record, history is full of idiots from Royal families.  Moses was just not one of them.

That sounds like Donald Trump who is undoubtedly a doofus.
(09-04-2016, 02:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I remember reading about how only God can judge us. I thought that meant He judged whether we went to Heaven or Hell. According to whatever source I was reading, my thinking was incorrect. Our destination is determined by whether we are saved or not. Judgement Day determines if our Heavenly stay gets upgraded. Kinda like Vegas. In a way, isn't that a letter grade?

In the original Christian theology, the big question to get into heaven is, "Did you believe in Jesus or not?" They don't worry about whether you were a sinner. They just automatically check 'yes' in that block. But some denominations believe there are some other criteria. For example, in Catholicism they wanna know, "Did you do all of the things you were supposed to do to be a good Catholic?" (baptism, confession, etc.). If the answer is 'no', then you have to go to purgatory. Purgatory is like a remedial class. They dump you there for a few years to figure things out and tell you, "We'll get back to you on the whole Heaven thing, dude."
(09-04-2016, 01:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: In the original Christian theology, the big question to get into heaven is, "Did you believe in Jesus or not?" They don't worry about whether you were a sinner. They just automatically check 'yes' in that block. But some denominations believe there are some other criteria. For example, in Catholicism they wanna know, "Did you do all of the things you were supposed to do to be a good Catholic?" (baptism, confession, etc.). If the answer is 'no', then you have to go to purgatory. Purgatory is like a remedial class. They dump you there for a few years to figure things out and tell you, "We'll get back to you on the whole Heaven thing, dude."

In addition to believing in Jesus, don't you also have to ask forgiveness for your sins to get into heaven.

And about the Catholic thing, aren't those extra requirements man's things and not necessarily God's things?

So when is this pergatory thing and when can I bs my way out of it after I live my life like a decent person?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-04-2016, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: In addition to believing in Jesus, don't you also have to ask forgiveness for your sins to get into heaven.

And about the Catholic thing, aren't those extra requirements man's things and not necessarily God's things?

Yeah. Technically if you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, you also believe that he died as a sacrifice for your (and everyone's') sins and, therefore, you acknowledge that a) there is such a thing as sin, and b) that you have sinned.

As far as the Catholic thing, I guess that would depend on whether or not you were Catholic.
(09-04-2016, 04:43 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So when is this pergatory thing and when can I bs my way out of it after I live my life like a decent person?

Contact your local priest.

[Image: 9dede8c18d0252a5a3a8b18c28b3769a.jpg]
(09-04-2016, 05:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Contact your local priest.

[Image: 9dede8c18d0252a5a3a8b18c28b3769a.jpg]
Is this some kind of Altar-Boy advertisement ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-05-2016, 01:24 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Is this some kind of Altar-Boy advertisement ?

Do you want it to be?

Ninja
(09-05-2016, 02:53 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Do you want it to be?

Ninja
If you have the frock.....

(09-05-2016, 11:14 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: If you have the frock.....

If the frock is a knockin....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The President said it well also.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/09/05/obama-defends-kaepernicks-national-anthem-protest/89879478/

Quote:The president said that he did not doubt Kaepernick's sincerity in attempting to highlight social issues and noted that the player was the latest in a long line of professional sports figures to do so. However, Obama also acknowledged that Kaepernick's silent protest was a "tough thing" for many members of the military to accept.

"When it comes to the flag and the national anthem and the meaning that holds for our men and women in uniform and those who fought for us — that is a tough thing for them to get past," said Obama. "But I don’t doubt his sincerity. I think he cares about some real, legitimate issues that have to be talked about.

If nothing else, he’s generated more conversation about issues that have to be talked about."

Kaepernick has been heavily criticized since starting his silent protest. He’s said it’s not an anti-American gesture but a means to highlight the treatment of African Americans by police officers. He has said that he is trying to support "people who are oppressed."

Obama said that Kaepernick's decision to sit out the national anthem before games was "messy" but that it was "the way democracy works."

“I’d rather have young people who are engaged in the argument and trying to think through how they can be part of our democratic process than people who are just sitting on the sidelines not paying attention at all,” said Obama.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-05-2016, 11:18 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: If the frock is a knockin....
It's full of c@#k &....

OMG....I better stop.

(09-04-2016, 04:43 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: So when is this pergatory thing and when can I bs my way out of it after I live my life like a decent person?

Back in the day you could buy your way out, no BS, if you were Catholic. Which is, of course, total BS.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.