Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain Nails It On Patriotism
(09-03-2016, 02:51 PM)McC Wrote: You really don't know what royalty is?  Obviously not, since you think Charlie Sheen is royalty.  Still shaking my head over that one.  That is just plain goofy.

Years 1-40: From Slave to Prince

Born the son of a Hebrew slave, Moses survived because he was rescued, saved and eventually adopted by Pharaoh's daughter (Exodus 2:1-10). He was given the best education, training and preparation that Egypt could offer (Acts 7:22). In keeping with education given to Egyptian royalty, he was probably tutored by retired military and political leaders. It must have seemed to all who knew him that Moses' first 40 years prepared him for leadership and fame.

Does that sound like a doofus?

And your definition of a doofus, which in no way describes Moses, btw, is a perfect description of Colin Kaepernick.  You know, your prophet, the guy who never said a word about the oppressed until now?  Did he care about the oppressed the first five years in the league or ever, for that matter or was he just keeping it to himself?

I'm sorry you don't recognize a publicity stunt when you see it, but I do.

And for the record, history is full of idiots from Royal families.  Moses was just not one of them.

You really don't know what a parallel is, which is staggering. We don't have royalty in this country. We do have wealth and celebrity, which are in many ways parallel with royalty in other cultures. For example, some people look up to and worship wealth and celebrity for no reason, the same way you look up to and worship royalty for no reason. It is a choice. Other people do this too, believing the royals (and those they take in) to be their superiors by birthright. You are certainly entitled to believe you are inferior because you are not royalty, but others are not obligated to agree - at least not in America.

But what is really, as Spock on Star Trek would say, "Fascinating," is that you continue to point out the parallels between the Kaepernick saga and the Moses saga and yet not realize how the stories mirror each other. I'm not shaking my head back at you, but I am considering the possibility of a learning disability. You seem articulate, and at the same moment not to comprehend what you yourself have said.

Hypothetical McC interior monologue (that means a conversation you have in your own head):

"Look at this blue fork, it is blue and has four tines on it, and some lovely design work on the handle. Look at this similar blue fork next to it. It is a slightly different shade of blue, and a bit newer. It has four tines on it, and nearly identical lovely design work on on the handle. In conclusion, these two similar forks which I just looked at and described in detail as similar are not similar at all."

How does a brain do that?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-03-2016, 05:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Indeed, I have the book. I ordered it and read it after our last conversation on the subject! ThumbsUp

What did you think?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-04-2016, 01:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: In the original Christian theology, the big question to get into heaven is, "Did you believe in Jesus or not?" They don't worry about whether you were a sinner. They just automatically check 'yes' in that block. But some denominations believe there are some other criteria. For example, in Catholicism they wanna know, "Did you do all of the things you were supposed to do to be a good Catholic?" (baptism, confession, etc.). If the answer is 'no', then you have to go to purgatory. Purgatory is like a remedial class. They dump you there for a few years to figure things out and tell you, "We'll get back to you on the whole Heaven thing, dude."

https://billygraham.org/answer/if-jesus-has-forgiven-all-our-sins-then-why-do-we-have-to-stand-before-god-and-be-judged-when-we-die-what-is-left-for-god-to-judge-if-all-our-sins-have-been-taken-away/

Quote:Q:
If Jesus has forgiven all our sins, then why do we have to stand before God and be judged when we die? What is left for God to judge, if all our sins have been taken away?

A:
One of the Bible’s greatest truths is that when we turn to Jesus Christ in repentance and faith, God forgives our sins and gives us the gift of eternal life. We no longer need to fear death or Hell or judgment, because Christ endured them for us. As the Bible says, “He forgave us all our sins” (Colossians 2:13).

At the same time, the Bible tells us that some day each of us will stand before God. If we have denied Him and refused to follow Him, we will be judged for our unbelief. God will say, “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels” (Matthew 25:41). These are sobering words, and they should make every one of us stop and be sure of our commitment to Christ.

If we know Christ, however, our salvation is already assured. We’ll still stand before God – but not to be judged for our salvation. Instead, we will stand before God to be rewarded for our good deeds. The Bible says, “We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad” (2 Corinthians 5:10). These too are sobering words, reminding us that we are accountable to God for the way we live as believers.

Thank God for His love for you – a love so great that He sent His Son to die for you. Now, respond to His love by living for Him every day.
This isn't the source I mentioned earlier, just the first link in a Google search which explains my understanding of Judgment Day.
We receive the Pass/Fail grade to get into Heaven before Judgment Day.  During Judgment Day, the letter grades get handed out to determine our reward in Heaven.  (Shades of Dantes' Paradiso? I'm not sure.  But, I am sure I don't want to revisit Middle Ages' literature.)  I always thought getting into Heaven was the reward, but apparently I was wrong.  This is separate from Purgatory.
Although I am pretty sure there are Christians who would believe differently.
(09-05-2016, 11:45 AM)xxlt Wrote: You really don't know what a parallel is, which is staggering. We don't have royalty in this country. We do have wealth and celebrity, which are in many ways parallel with royalty in other cultures. For example, some people look up to and worship wealth and celebrity for no reason, the same way you look up to and worship royalty for no reason. It is a choice. Other people do this too, believing the royals (and those they take in) to be their superiors by birthright. You are certainly entitled to believe you are inferior because you are not royalty, but others are not obligated to agree - at least not in America.

But what is really, as Spock on Star Trek would say, "Fascinating," is that you continue to point out the parallels between the Kaepernick saga and the Moses saga and yet not realize how the stories mirror each other. I'm not shaking my head back at you, but I am considering the possibility of a learning disability. You seem articulate, and at the same moment not to comprehend what you yourself have said.

Hypothetical McC interior monologue (that means a conversation you have in your own head):

"Look at this blue fork, it is blue and has four tines on it, and some lovely design work on the handle. Look at this similar blue fork next to it. It is a slightly different shade of blue, and a bit newer. It has four tines on it, and nearly identical lovely design work on on the handle. In conclusion, these two similar forks which I just looked at and described in detail as similar are not similar at all."

How does a brain do that?
Since you can do your side of the conversation and mine, I'm out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(09-05-2016, 11:46 AM)xxlt Wrote: What did you think?

I like it. He brings up many good points.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-05-2016, 04:36 PM)McC Wrote: Since you can do your side of the conversation and mine, I'm out.

Classic
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-05-2016, 02:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://billygraham.org/answer/if-jesus-has-forgiven-all-our-sins-then-why-do-we-have-to-stand-before-god-and-be-judged-when-we-die-what-is-left-for-god-to-judge-if-all-our-sins-have-been-taken-away/

This isn't the source I mentioned earlier, just the first link in a Google search which explains my understanding of Judgment Day.
We receive the Pass/Fail grade to get into Heaven before Judgment Day.  During Judgment Day, the letter grades get handed out to determine our reward in Heaven.  (Shades of Dantes' Paradiso? I'm not sure.  But, I am sure I don't want to revisit Middle Ages' literature.)  I always thought getting into Heaven was the reward, but apparently I was wrong.  This is separate from Purgatory.
Although I am pretty sure there are Christians who would believe differently.

Yeah, there are some differences between different denominations. What Billy Graham describes is the "Concert" scenario: Believing in Jesus and asking for forgiveness of sins gets you into the concert, but good or bad acts decide what kind of seat you get when you are inside. This is in line with those who believe that there is no hell, no burning pit. Rather there is only a soul's distance from God in a situation where closeness to God is the sole desire for souls. For example, a Catholic might say that saints and martyrs have front row seats while everyone else falls in line behind.

Theologically, conversion to Christianity is a three part "salvation" process: 1) Justification - recognizing Christ as divine and asking for forgiveness of sins, 2) Sanctification - the soul is inhabited by the Holy Spirit which, over the course of a lifetime, guides and purifies the soul, and 3) Glorification - the ultimate reward, the soul being able to stand in God's presence in Heaven. The first and third are pretty obvious and straightforward. The controversy among different denominations primarily concerns the second. Questions such as "To what extent is an organized church supposed to be involved in this process?". Different churches have come up with a wide variety of answers over time, a range between authoritarian to laissez faire.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-06-2016, 04:43 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yeah, there are some differences between different denominations. What Billy Graham describes is the "Concert" scenario: Believing in Jesus and asking for forgiveness of sins gets you into the concert, but good or bad acts decide what kind of seat you get when you are inside. This is in line with those who believe that there is no hell, no burning pit. Rather there is only a soul's distance from God in a situation where closeness to God is the sole desire for souls. For example, a Catholic might say that saints and martyrs have front row seats while everyone else falls in line behind.

Theologically, conversion to Christianity is a three part "salvation" process: 1) Justification - recognizing Christ as divine and asking for forgiveness of sins, 2) Sanctification - the soul is inhabited by the Holy Spirit which, over the course of a lifetime, guides and purifies the soul, and 3) Glorification - the ultimate reward, the soul being able to stand in God's presence in Heaven. The first and third are pretty obvious and straightforward. The controversy among different denominations primarily concerns the second. Questions such as "To what extent is an organized church supposed to be involved in this process?". Different churches have come up with a wide variety of answers over time, a range between authoritarian to laissez faire.

I like the concert analogy.