Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cardinals request HC interview with Lou Anarumo
(01-31-2023, 04:45 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He only loses the opportunity to get offers if the defense tanks. They should be able to keep this group intact atleast 2 more years. He'd still get offers next year.

If there's a big difference in the amount of money he makes, obviously that's a big deal.

That's still a $25-40m gamble man, and it's not like he's a player who had already made millions. 

Byron Leftwich was a big name in the HC cycle last offseason, had interviews, and turned it down to stay at OC for the Bucs. One year later he is fired as OC and isn't in the HC cycle at all. At least Leftwich had $27m he made as a player, but Lou doesn't have that, is a decade older, is a defense guy (everyone wants guys who are on offense). It's a big risk to turn down big guaranteed money and an opportunity to be HC because it's a whole lot easier to get a 2nd HC job than it is a 1st HC job.

Don't think the group being kept intact for 2 more years. Pratt and Bates probably gone this offseason, Bell and Apple FAs, and after 2023 you have Reader, Hendrickson, Wilson, and Awuzie all as FAs. 2023 is probably the last year this defense looks like this defense, it will look vastly different in 2024.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:45 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: His resume may not have been very good with no DC experience. But the point of the interview is to get to know the guy and his understanding of the game. Is he knowledgeable enough? What schemes does he have in mind? Compare that to the rest. Maybe his resume wasn't the best, but I would pick the smartest coach I interview everytime. Interviewing a few outsiders would only give you more information.

He only loses the opportunity to get offers if the defense tanks. They should be able to keep this group intact atleast 2 more years. He'd still get offers next year.

If there's a big difference in the amount of money he makes, obviously that's a big deal.

But nobody knows if he'd get offers. The right job has to open up with the right direction a team wants to go.Maybe it's a couple teams listless on offense looking for a creative mind. Lou is going to lose some guys that he's had the past 2-3 years. He may not want to take that chance while the iron presently is extremely hot.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if they brought Zim back, but I do not want Marvin Lewis within 500 miles of this team. He reeks of mediocre.

My only gripe with Marvin was game management. Taylor was impeccable Sunday even though we lost. Marvin would have played for OT Sunday which I disagree with even though it ended bad. My only question is would Huber have been better Sunday?
Reply/Quote
Not to bash on Lou, but if the team's aspirations are Super Bowl, how often do we see a former DC take a team to the Super Bowl as a HC?

A high majority of the HCs who have been in the Super Bowl in recent years have all been either offensive minds or ST coaches, right?
Belichick, Carroll, and Tomlin are about the only ones I can think of that are defensive-minded guys and have taken their teams to the Super Bowl in the past 10-15 years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Lou does get a HC gig (which I honestly don’t believe will happen yet), there are two logical options: elevate Bettcher or you go get Al Golden who is the DC at ND.
Reply/Quote
With the Cardinals having Kyler Murray and a losing season last year, I don't see them going with a defensive coordinator as head coach.

I don't think that would excite the players or the fanbase enough to sell tickets.

I think we're safe.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's still a $25-40m gamble man, and it's not like he's a player who had already made millions. 

Byron Leftwich was a big name in the HC cycle last offseason, had interviews, and turned it down to stay at OC for the Bucs. One year later he is fired as OC and isn't in the HC cycle at all. At least Leftwich had $27m he made as a player, but Lou doesn't have that, is a decade older, is a defense guy (everyone wants guys who are on offense). It's a big risk to turn down big guaranteed money and an opportunity to be HC because it's a whole lot easier to get a 2nd HC job than it is a 1st HC job.

Don't think the group being kept intact for 2 more years. Pratt and Bates probably gone this offseason, Bell and Apple FAs, and after 2023 you have Reader, Hendrickson, Wilson, and Awuzie all as FAs. 2023 is probably the last year this defense looks like this defense, it will look vastly different in 2024.

Like I said, the money would definitely be a big deal. 

Good point about Leftwich, that was a dumb move on his part. But he also got unlucky with the oline injuries. 
I don't think Lou would be similar at all unless the defense got decimated with injuries. I don't see them losing anyone besides Bates. We'll see though.

(01-31-2023, 05:08 PM)higgy100 Wrote: But nobody knows if he'd get offers. The right job has to open up with the right direction a team wants to go.Maybe it's a couple teams listless on offense looking for a creative mind.  Lou is going to lose some guys that he's had the past 2-3 years. He may not want to take that chance while the iron presently is extremely hot.

I do think it bodes well that most teams are targeting OCs. But he's a good coach and DCs do get head jobs too.
I'm hoping they can limit the damage by letting Bates go and re-signing Bell and Pratt for sure. Apple depends on money--but they can replace Apple with Awuzie.
I know Dax didn't look great this year, but I have hope that he can put it all together next year with more coaching and inward reflection.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: My only gripe with Marvin was game management. Taylor was impeccable Sunday even though we lost. Marvin would have played for OT Sunday which I disagree with even though it ended bad. My only question is would Huber have been better Sunday?

I would not say that about him Sunday. At the end of the 1st half they should have spiked the ball on 1st down with 10 seconds to on the 5 yard line after the big catch by Tee instead of rushing a play in there that would not have even been a TD. You're only going to have time to run 2 plays anyways so you have to be on the same page there. I feel like they threw that opportunity away.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not to bash on Lou, but if the team's aspirations are Super Bowl, how often do we see a former DC take a team to the Super Bowl as a HC?

A high majority of the HCs who have been in the Super Bowl in recent years have all been either offensive minds or ST coaches, right?
Belichick, Carroll, and Tomlin are about the only ones I can think of that are defensive-minded guys and have taken their teams to the Super Bowl in the past 10-15 years.

Great point. If I were him I'd want to win a super bowl and staying put gives him his best chance at it (as opposed to rebuilding another team as HC). 
But of course money plays a factor too.
And maybe there is a good fit where he could be successful as HC.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With the Cardinals having Kyler Murray and a losing season last year, I don't see them going with a defensive coordinator as hard coach.

I don't think that would excite the players or the fanbase enough to sell tickets.

I think we're safe.

Ya with the play and actions displayed by Murray they really need a Sean Payton type who can relate.I don't think it's a coincidence how the contract details came out about him not putting in the time to watch film.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 05:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: My only gripe with Marvin was game management. Taylor was impeccable Sunday even though we lost. Marvin would have played for OT Sunday which I disagree with even though it ended bad. My only question is would Huber have been better Sunday?

Taylor is not good at game management. Specifically late in half or end of game management. He may be better than Marvin but he is still not very good.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:45 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: His resume may not have been very good with no DC experience. But the point of the interview is to get to know the guy and his understanding of the game. Is he knowledgeable enough? What schemes does he have in mind? Compare that to the rest. Maybe his resume wasn't the best, but I would pick the smartest coach I interview everytime. Interviewing a few outsiders would only give you more information.

Lou was a great hire, but it took awhile to build this Defense. He did a great job and I was doubting him big time after 
his second season here. I wanted us to fire him, happy I didn't know what the FO knew.

(01-31-2023, 04:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lou has stated that he wants to be a HC, he is not turning down a HC job.

He is older and one of the least qualified guys out there.  

And I agree that teams are primarily looking for an offensive-minded coach or one with experience. 

Although, Ryans to Houston makes sense as a former player, young, black and the #1 DC.

And I agree Bettcher is the obvious in-house candidate.

Didn't know Lou stated that. I agree as you know. Ryans to Houston makes sense if there is a Defensive minded coach 
going to be a HC in this day. I could be wrong about Lou leaving, could happen I guess. Bettcher sure makes me feel
better about it. He done a great job with the LB's and is a great coach in his own right.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lou was a great hire, but it took awhile to build this Defense. He did a great job and I was doubting him big time after 
his second season here. I wanted us to fire him, happy I didn't know what the FO knew.

Didn't know Lou stated that. I agree as you know. Ryans to Houston makes sense if there is a Defensive minded coach 
going to be a HC in this day. I could be wrong about Lou leaving, could happen I guess. Bettcher sure makes me feel
better about it. He done a great job with the LB's and is a great coach in his own right.

I believe it was on Lapham's podcast that Lou said it...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I believe it was on Lapham's podcast that Lou said it...

Well at least Defensive minded HC's are not wanted as much right now. This gives me some hope and Bettcher.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well at least Defensive minded HC's are not wanted as much right now. This gives me some hope and Bettcher.

It is an offensive league.  The Chargers have sucked with a new D coach, the Bills cant win the big one with a D coach, even the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots are blah on offense with D coaches.

Callahan with Manning's support seems to be the one most likely to leave.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 07:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is an offensive league.  The Chargers have sucked with a new D coach, the Bills cant win the big one with a D coach, even the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots are blah on offense with D coaches.

Callahan with Manning's support seems to be the one most likely to leave.

No doubt. I could really see Callahan being the Colts new HC and maybe taking Pitcher with him, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hope Lou is flattered by the attention and tanks the interview on purpose. Tony Romo was pimpin’ Lou hard over the last two weeks.

He probably just wanted us to lose Lou so his boy Pat could look better in the playoffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My gut feeling says that somehow we get lucky and get to keep Lou for one more year before he deservingly becomes a HC.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think it'd be hard for him to pass up the Cardinals job. They have a talented roster and good draft position. I'd take it if I were him.

If I were the Cardinals I would get a HC that will also be the OC. Someone that can get that offense humming.
If that's not available you could certainly go with Lou and then focus on getting a legit OC.
Reply/Quote