Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos Dunlap question.
good ole number 96 is up.for a big pay day. he deserves it rightly so. heres my question for those who more about d-line play than i.do and football for that matter.
only once in his career has he posted more than 9 sacks. he had 13.5 a couple years back.
take away that season he has only averaged 7.0 sacks
per season.
why is it that Dunlap cannot put up double digit sack numbers consistantly?
even when the Bengals defense was ranked high under Zimmer Dunlap wasnt exactly putting the qb on the ground consistantly.
does it tie into not having enough 4th q. leads where the opposing offense is forced to throw?
is a technique issue?
i figure with Atkins drawing a double team wouldnt that single up.Dunlap on the RT without help from the TE?
I dont know can i get some insight?
hes a very good DE who i feel can produce alot more sack wise..
hes great at tipped passes deflections as hes among the top 5 among DEs in that regard.
can a few of you help a fellow fan out
i plead ignorance.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 11:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: good ole number 96 is up.for a big pay day. he deserves it rightly so. heres my question for those who more about d-line play than i.do and football for that matter.
only once in his career has he posted more than 9 sacks. he had 13.5 a couple years back.
take away that season he has only averaged 7.0 sacks
per season.
why is it that Dunlap cannot put up double digit sack numbers consistantly?
even when the Bengals defense was ranked high under Zimmer Dunlap wasnt exactly putting the qb on the ground consistantly.
does it tie into not having enough 4th q. leads where the opposing offense is forced to throw?
is a technique issue?
i figure with Atkins drawing a double team wouldnt that single up.Dunlap on the RT without help from the TE?
I dont know can i get some insight?
hes a very good DE who i feel can produce alot more sack wise..
hes great at tipped passes deflections as hes among the top 5 among DEs in that regard.
can a few of you help a fellow fan out
i plead ignorance.

Some will disagree, but I think the fact that he plays on the left side and he is not coming at the blind side of most QBs is a part of it.  The rest is scheme as he has greatly improved as a run stuffer.  Many DEs that only care about sacks blow right by their rush lane responsibility in an effort to get the QB and often give up easy yards on the ground.  Carlos has been strongly coached to defend the run as well. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A little off topic, but does it annoy anybody else when Dan Fouts calls him Dunlop?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Playa has a good point. Opposing QB's know Carlos is there, and that he is coming. They can see him and get rid of the ball.
Reply/Quote
You need to read more of my posts lol.

He has been consistently in the top 10 (or 5?) for pressure percentage of any pass rusher in the league, year in, year out.

The problem with him is finishing; as mentioned, it could be a blindside issue, but it also could be because he has weak hands? lol

He gets his hand on the QB more than any other pass rusher in the league, seemingly (again, pressure numbers back this up), but he just can't get the QB down in time.

Technique is definitely not it, because his speed, moves and all that, get him to the QB quite frequently. He just can't finish.

That's why the sack record is possible with him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 09:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You need to read more of my posts lol.

He has been consistently in the top 10 (or 5?) for pressure percentage of any pass rusher in the league, year in, year out.

The problem with him is finishing; as mentioned, it could be a blindside issue, but it also could be because he has weak hands? lol

He gets his hand on the QB more than any other pass rusher in the league, seemingly (again, pressure numbers back this up), but he just can't get the QB down in time.

Technique is definitely not it, because his speed, moves and all that, get him to the QB quite frequently. He just can't finish.

I've wondered before what a little different coaching could've done for him. Maybe it would've made him worse, or maybe it would've helped him in regard to getting QBs on the ground. It seems like someone in the staff could've looked at him play and said "hey, if you do _________ then you'll take down guys more effectively." Or maybe they already have.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 09:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You need to read more of my posts lol.

I don't think it's weak hands. I've seen him pull off some pretty awkward horse collars with one hand.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

There's some  difference if not on the blindside. a QB SEES you, can get rid of the ball, can scramble and dodge.  Best hope is rush stuff, hurry the play.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 11:58 AM)jason Wrote: I don't think it's weak hands. I've seen him pull off some pretty awkward horse collars with one hand.

I've wondered before if he isn't just a little bit too nice of a guy out there - if he could maybe benefit from having a little more of that killer instinct to finish. He's an excellent player, but nobody's perfect. 
Reply/Quote
Carlos Dunlap's sack numbers from the strong side of the formation, are good. But, in order to put a value on him, you must look at the total package. He's disciplined, therefore he also gets consistent pressures, tipped/batted balls, and is a force versus the run. His big body occupies blockers, and has allowed the Bengals to get by with basically a garbage man at the SAM position for quite some time.

It would take one hell of a man to fill Carlos Dunlap's shoes, in regard to what he brings to this defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 04:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Carlos Dunlap's sack numbers from the strong side of the formation, are good.  But, in order to put a value on him, you must look at the total package.  He's disciplined, therefore he also gets consistent pressures, tipped/batted balls, and is a force versus the run.  His big body occupies blockers, and has allowed the Bengals to get by with basically a garbage man at the SAM position for quite some time.

It would take one hell of a man to fill Carlos Dunlap's shoes, in regard to what he brings to this defense.

i really understand your observation. Dunlap is a well.balanced DE..does most things good....but not great.
i was looking at the Bengals schedule this year and the QBs they face 
Rothlisberger 
Taylor 
Rivers
Carr
Newton
Ryan
Brees
Luck.
its imperative the Bengals get Dunlap to be able to finish and the get the QB on the ground 
playing the run is nice but the NFL is a passing league now and the DEs coveted out of college are asked to be able to get to the QB 1st play run 2nd
Carlos needs to be able take advantage of the double teams that Atkins commands 
7.0.sacks wont get it done this year 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2018, 11:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: why is it that Dunlap cannot put up double digit sack numbers consistantly?

That is a lot harder than you think.

Over the last 5 seasons no DE has had more then 3 double digit sack seasons, and only 4 have done it more than twice (JJ Watt, Everson Griffen, Cameron Jordan, and Cameron Wake).  During that period Dunlap's 44.5 sacks rank 7th among DEs.

I'd like to see him lead the league, but I don't really see a big "problem" that needs to be fixed.
Reply/Quote
We give up a lot of stuff underneath and play way to conservative on defense especially on pure pass rush opportunities.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We give up a lot of stuff underneath and play way to conservative on defense especially on pure pass rush opportunities.

What does any of that have to do with Carlos Dunlap's play?  He does his job, very well.  It's not his job to cover underneath, and he rushes on every single passing down. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We give up a lot of stuff underneath and play way to conservative on defense especially on pure pass rush opportunities.

Our pass defense has been elite for years.  Last year we did not intercept as many passes as usual, but over the last four years (Guenthar era) we lead the entire league in interceptions and opponents passer rating while ranking 2nd in fewest passing tds allowed.

Last year we were 8th in yards allowed, 8th in tds allowed, 11th in sacks, and 13th in opponents passer rating.  We slipped a little from our usual position atop the rankings, but we still had a good pass defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What does any of that have to do with Carlos Dunlap's play?  He does his job, very well.  It's not his job to cover underneath, and he rushes on every single passing down. 

I know but when you're closing in on a sack and the QB dumps it off to the RB for a short game it ruins getting a sack.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 07:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our pass defense has been elite for years.  Last year we did not intercept as many passes as usual, but over the last four years (Guenthar era) we lead the entire league in interceptions and opponents passer rating while ranking 2nd in fewest passing tds allowed.

Last year we were 8th in yards allowed, 8th in tds allowed, 11th in sacks, and 13th in opponents passer rating.  We slipped a little from our usual position atop the rankings, but we still had a good pass defense.
Not against RBs or TEs. We were more bend and don't break under Guemther. We did a great job at taking Wrs out but the underneath stuff got us killed.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 07:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I know but when you're closing in on a sack and the QB dumps it off to the RB for a short game it ruins getting a sack.

Again, not Carlos' fault.  The SAM LB should be there to snuff that shit out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hasn't had 30 sacks per season so he must be traded for a 2nd string punter.. 
Actually I think sack stats are overrated. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Again, not Carlos' fault.  The SAM LB should be there to snuff that shit out.

How are you getting that I am saying it's Dunlap fault?  It's not it's the linbakers fault.
J24

Reply/Quote