Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos wants to be in Ring of Honor if we get one....
(02-07-2021, 11:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A guy that played two seasons as a Bengal? That’s like saying TO is the best WR we ever had.

Ask Ken Anderson Issac Curtis or even Lemar Parrish if 
they think Coy Bacon was better than Dunlap.
Look I think Carlos should be in the Ring of Honor. Very consistant DE who.did alot of things good. But to.call him
The best DE in Bengals history....cmon.
Coy Bacon was a wrecking machine his 2 seasons
As a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 07:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry dude, I think you burned that bridge .....

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-reflects-on-break-up-with-bengals

Yeah, his ring is in the toilet at the water level of the bowl.  He can be "enshrined" with Palmer and Pickens. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 07:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sorry dude, I think you burned that bridge .....

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/carlos-dunlap-reflects-on-break-up-with-bengals

yeah No.... not a shot now
Reply/Quote
I could see him being included. The Front Office still held Dunlap in high regard. It sounds like it was mostly the coaches that wanted him the gone. The same coaches that couldn't get any production out of Atkins, for what it's worth.

We'll see how this coaching staff goes. If they get exiled after a 3rd straight year of terrible football in the 2022 off season, I think Dunlap will have been vindicated and deserve some sort of ceremonial position as one of the best defensive linemen this team has ever had.

If this coaching staff somehow turns it around and becomes the franchise for the next decade or two and show they can develop talent, use talent properly and successfully created a culture where everyone is fighting for their jobs at all times to the benefit of their productivity, then Dunlap will, in hindsight, look like a veteran who couldn't cut it anymore and was bitter about his declining capabilities. I don't even think this would disqualify him from consideration for a ROH, but it would at least add some hesitance, especially if coaches had a say in who makes the ROH (Lou and Zac would likely throw any Dunlap nomination into the trash, if they had the chance.)

I give it a 90/10 odds split between the two, respectively.
Reply/Quote
Always liked Carlos. But there is a bit of a sting when we pick in the 7th round this year and that's what Carlos devalued himself to.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 07:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. Along with Marvin, Carson and Chad did a lot to make this team relevant again for the first time since the 80’s.

.....and Marvin should be in it too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If we're keeping out disgruntled players, that means Esiason is a no go as well. I know he ended his career with Cincinnati. but he forced a trade to the Jets.

"There's no way in the world I want to play for this team again next year," Esiason said Monday of the Bengals. "There's no way I can walk into that locker room and play for these coaches next year." Benched in Favor of a Rookie.
Reply/Quote
How deep is the Mike Brown era ring of honor if we only include good players who left on good terms?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Ask Ken Anderson Issac Curtis or even Lemar Parrish if 
Look I think Carlos should be in the Ring of Honor. Very consistant DE who.did alot of things good. But to.call him
As a Bengal.

You could argue that Justin Smith's time here was just as productive as Dunlap's.  Their average sack total per year (as a Bengal) were about the same, but Smith had 60+ tackles 6 out of the 7 years he was here (one year having 80).  Dunlap only had 60+ tackles twice in 11 years.

For overall career, Smith 14 years =87 sacks , Dunlap 11 years = 87.5 sacks. 

For old schoolers, I'd throw Eddie Edwards name in the mix as well.  12 years as a Bengal.  They didn't keep sacks as a stat until the 2nd half of his career, but once they did start tracking them (his final 7 years), his numbers are right there on par with Smith and Dunlap. All 3 averaged around 7 sacks per year. 
Reply/Quote
I'd say Carlos wants to be honored somehow at PBS now because after reflection he knows he doesn't have enough career left to get into anyone else's, and won't make the HOF.
Reply/Quote
Goes to show you how shitty this organization has been recently when we are talking about Justin Smith and Carlos Dunlap being in a ring of honor.

Both were very good players, but when I think of "Ring of honor" I think of near hall of fame caliber players. It should be prestigious and special. Almost like getting your jersey retired.

The only guys I would consider to be in the ring of honor over the last 10-15 years are Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer, Geno Atkins, AJ Green, Willie Anderson, and Andrew Whitworth.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Goes to show you how shitty this organization has been recently when we are talking about Justin Smith and Carlos Dunlap being in a ring of honor.

Both were very good players, but when I think of "Ring of honor" I think of near hall of fame caliber players. It should be prestigious and special. Almost like getting your jersey retired.

The only guys I would consider to be in the ring of honor over the last 10-15 years are Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer, Geno Atkins, AJ Green, Willie Anderson, and Andrew Whitworth.

Dunlap made PFF’s All Decade top 100 list, and is right behind JPP for most sacks (87.5) among active players. He’s absolutely deserving of a ring of honor type tribute, imo.

To me me, ring of honor should be players who had a great career, and meant a lot to an organization for a significant amount of time. Dunlap fits that criteria.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Goes to show you how shitty this organization has been recently when we are talking about Justin Smith and Carlos Dunlap being in a ring of honor.

(02-08-2021, 05:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dunlap made PFF’s All Decade top 100 list, and is right behind JPP for most sacks (87.5) among active players. He’s absolutely deserving of a ring of honor type tribute, imo.

To me me, ring of honor should be players who had a great career, and meant a lot to an organization for a significant amount of time. Dunlap fits that criteria.

I feel like if we are doing a ring of honor, it should start back further then current era guys.

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Bob Trumpy
James Brooks
Rodney Holman
Isaac Curtis
Eddie Brown
Jim Breech
Eddie Edwards
Reggie Williams
Tim Krumrie
David Fulcher
Louis Breeden
Max Montaya
Anthony Munoz
Bob Johnson

There is a long list of people that should be going into a ring of honor before a disgruntled DE that screwed the team over on his way out by making his value so low that all they got was a 7th rounder.

He was great when he wanted to be, but I'd take all the names above before him for a ring of honor.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I feel like if we are doing a ring of honor, it should start back further then current era guys.

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Bob Trumpy
James Brooks
Rodney Holman
Isaac Curtis
Eddie Brown
Jim Breech
Eddie Edwards
Reggie Williams
Tim Krumrie (1008 solo tackles as a Bengal)
David Fulcher
Louis Breeden
Max Montaya
Anthony Munoz

There is a long list of people that should be going into a ring of honor before a disgruntled DE that screwed the team over on his way out by making his value so low that all they got was a 7th rounder.

He was great when he wanted to be, but I'd take all the names above before him for a ring of honor.

I don’t really understand why guy’s like Munoz and Anderson haven’t had their jerseys retired.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Ask Ken Anderson Issac Curtis or even Lemar Parrish if 
As a Bengal.

Coy Bacon was the best DE to ever play for the Bengals, but he's not the best Bengal DE. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I feel like if we are doing a ring of honor, it should start back further then current era guys.

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Bob Trumpy
James Brooks
Rodney Holman
Isaac Curtis
Eddie Brown
Jim Breech
Eddie Edwards
Reggie Williams
Tim Krumrie
David Fulcher
Louis Breeden
Max Montaya
Anthony Munoz
Bob Johnson
Why did you leave off the best Bengal TE of all time? I think he still holds the record for most yards, catches, and TDs by a TE in Super Bowl history. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t really understand why guy’s like Munoz and Anderson haven’t had their jerseys retired.

No clue... added expense of the ceremony?? I honestly have no other possible suggestion.

If it was my team, and my Dad was that level of a legend, there would be a damn ring of honor around that stadium and he'd be in there with several all time great players.

Maybe that's the hold up? Maybe an emotional hold-up due to his Dad? Just tossing out ideas cause I have no clue why this hasn't happened.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why did you leave off the best Bengal TE of all time? I think he still holds the record for most yards, catches, and TDs by a TE in Super Bowl history. 

His career here was only 4 and half seasons, so his all time numbers don't look as impressive, but Dan Ross certainly would be a name to toss around for inclusion.

He now shares the record for yards with Vernon Davis.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd say Carlos wants to be honored somehow at PBS now because after reflection he knows he doesn't have enough career left to get into anyone else's, and won't make the HOF.

It's extra bizarre because we have no RoH and there isn't anything to make me think we ever will have one...at least not any time soon.  This whole concept seems odd to me...Carlos wants in the non-existent RoH of a team he just had a nasty breakup with.  It's like me wondering if any of the girls who wouldn't date me in high school are regretful now because I'm a millionaire with a mansion...even though I don't have a million bucks or a mansion.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 07:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's extra bizarre because we have no RoH and there isn't anything to make me think we ever will have one...at least not any time soon.  This whole concept seems odd to me...Carlos wants in the non-existent RoH of a team he just had a nasty breakup with.  It's like me wondering if any of the girls who wouldn't date me in high school are regretful now because I'm a millionaire with a mansion...even though I don't have a million bucks or a mansion.

He's just afraid once Zac gets the ROH going that Sample will be 1st.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote