Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos wants to be in Ring of Honor if we get one....
So how does a ring of honor really work anyway. They used to put the names around a stadium. We no longer have a round stadium, it has 2 sides. When both sides are full, does a new name knock an old name off?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I feel like if we are doing a ring of honor, it should start back further then current era guys.

Ken Anderson
Ken Riley
Bob Trumpy
James Brooks
Rodney Holman
Isaac Curtis
Eddie Brown
Jim Breech
Eddie Edwards
Reggie Williams
Tim Krumrie
David Fulcher
Louis Breeden
Max Montaya
Anthony Munoz
Bob Johnson

There is a long list of people that should be going into a ring of honor before a disgruntled DE that screwed the team over on his way out by making his value so low that all they got was a 7th rounder.

He was great when he wanted to be, but I'd take all the names above before him for a ring of honor.

Kinda this.  Not necessarily even that whole group, but I'd spread it out.  I'd go era by era.  The Bengals also have a habit of recycling jersey numbers so retiring numbers at this point in their history might not happen, but at least get the names up somewhere.  There are plenty of guys from the years who could make it, so instead of trying to tackle them all at once, start at the beginning and add more every year during an in-game or pre-game ceremony.  

Carlos wouldn't be in the conversation for several years if they went that route, so whether or not his recent breakup should be considered would have at least cooled by then.

I think it's beyond odd that this team doesn't want to celebrate their legacy through some players who've had real impact.  Even in the dark 90s, there were guys who kept the team afloat and interesting.  In each era, it's easy to pick out players who should be singled out for their contributions to the team and city.  I get why the family doesn't want to spend the money on an indoor practice field, etc.  But a ROH/HOF within the stadium just isn't that significant of an expense.  I feel that one thing PBS lacks is a sense of character.  I think celebrating the past and legacy of the team, the Jungle and the passion of the fanbase could go a long way into making PBS something more than the cold concrete structure it is today.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So how does a ring of honor really work anyway. They used to put the names around a stadium. We no longer have a round stadium, it has 2 sides. When both sides are full, does a new name knock an old name off?

Step 1 is to have a decent relationship between the front office and players/former players.  No sense worrying about steps 2 and onward until step 1 is achieved. 
Reply/Quote
a couple months of frustration doesn't ruin a decade of playing hard in my eyes. If I had a vote he'd be in the mythical ring of honor
Reply/Quote
Definitely put him in.

LOL at anybody that would take Taylor and Anarumo's side over Carlos.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 08:00 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Kinda this.  Not necessarily even that whole group, but I'd spread it out.  I'd go era by era.  The Bengals also have a habit of recycling jersey numbers so retiring numbers at this point in their history might not happen, but at least get the names up somewhere.  There are plenty of guys from the years who could make it, so instead of trying to tackle them all at once, start at the beginning and add more every year during an in-game or pre-game ceremony.  

Carlos wouldn't be in the conversation for several years if they went that route, so whether or not his recent breakup should be considered would have at least cooled by then.

I think it's beyond odd that this team doesn't want to celebrate their legacy through some players who've had real impact.  Even in the dark 90s, there were guys who kept the team afloat and interesting.  In each era, it's easy to pick out players who should be singled out for their contributions to the team and city.  I get why the family doesn't want to spend the money on an indoor practice field, etc.  But a ROH/HOF within the stadium just isn't that significant of an expense.  I feel that one thing PBS lacks is a sense of character.  I think celebrating the past and legacy of the team, the Jungle and the passion of the fanbase could go a long way into making PBS something more than the cold concrete structure it is today.  

I completely agree.

Didn't mean all those guys should go in at once. 

The first class would be maybe Anderson, Paul Brown, Munoz and Boomer.

Then just add a few a year each year.

I was just saying that I think all those names would belong in said ring of honor before Dunlap got added.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If the team ever creates a ROH, Dunlap will definitely go in. The only bridge he burned was with the coaching staff that has produced 6 wins in 2 years. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Step 1 is to have a decent relationship between the front office and players/former players.  No sense worrying about steps 2 and onward until step 1 is achieved. 

So...... no answer then? You act like every ex player is disgruntled. I don't believe Ken Anderson is disgruntled, nor is Munoz, or Chad, or any other of the top 50 that were in a couple of years ago.... they all seemed happy 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So...... no answer then?

No reason to answer. Steps 2-200 are irreverent for the MB era Bengals. 

MB making a ring of honor is like the unpopular kid at school trying to have a big birthday party...dont bother, you're only going to draw attention to how many peoole didn't want to come. 

So have a ring then. It'll be a handful of guys from 40 years ago who liked Paul Brown and a few guys from the past 30 years.  I think it's fine not having one. It just provides too much evidence that our player/FO dynamic is sub par. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 09:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: No reason to answer. Steps 2-200 are irreverent for the MB era Bengals. 

MB making a ring of honor is like the unpopular kid at school trying to have a big birthday party...dont bother, you're only going to draw attention to how many peoole didn't want to come. 

So you're saying Anderson, Munoz and the rest would not come??? Really? Heck, here we have Carlos who made an ass out hisself trying to get out of here, and he wants in..... c'mon man.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 09:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So you're saying Anderson, Munoz and the rest would not come??? Really? Heck, here we have Carlos who made an ass out hisself trying to get out of here, and he wants in..... c'mon man.

Anderson and Munoz should have been in it for decades.  Then again, they didn't have to deal with MB for their whole careers either.  

If carlos wants in let him in I guess.   Do you want him in it?  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 09:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Anderson and Munoz should have been in it for decades.  Then again, they didn't have to deal with MB for their whole careers either.  

If carlos wants in let him in I guess.   Do you want him in it?  

I really have no feelings towards it either way. With the way the Brown's value loyalty, I think he's burned his bridge, that's all. I guess it would come down to how many names are going to be on it, and who's names are in front of him. That was my point, there's only so much room. He was a great player for us, but when you get down to the all time great Bengals, I'm not sure he makes the cut.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I really have no feelings towards it either way. With the way the Brown's value loyalty, I think he's burned his bridge, that's all. I guess it would come down to how many names are going to be on it, and who's names are in front of him. That was my point, there's only so much room. He was a great player for us, but when you get down to the all time great Bengals, I'm not sure he makes the cut.

Carson Palmer made the Cardinals' ring of honor, how exclusive could these clubs really be?  Honestly, I'm to the point where I just think it would raise more negativity than anything at this point. You have a ring of honor and maybe one of the QBs people remember that you've had in the past 30+ years wants in...that just seems rife for negativity.

You have guys who played for Paul Brown like Anderson and Munoz, then you have to skip QBs from 1984 to 2011 and maybe Dalton is the premiere QB of the MB era by default and then you hope AJ isn't too salty in his departure. Ida know...just seems like a big pain in the arse to make it known that a lot of players don't leave here on good terms.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So how does a ring of honor really work anyway. They used to put the names around a stadium. We no longer have a round stadium, it has 2 sides. When both sides are full, does a new name knock an old name off?

I think we could squeeze our guys in... Unless they go with a ring of pretty good. For instance I think only 2 QBs get in it. No Palmer or Dalton.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Despite the way he left town, the guy does deserve a spot in a RoH if we ever have one. Stats don't lie. But he's waaaaaay down the list, there are others FAR more deserving ahead of him in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 12:14 PM)jason Wrote: I think we could squeeze our guys in... Unless they go with a ring of pretty good. For instance I think only 2 QBs get in it. No Palmer or Dalton.

Dalton would have to get in...he was the only relevant QB MB ever had that left on not awful terms.  Ehh, I guess this is sort of what I meant in my prior post.  A QB who was good but better known for melting down in the playoffs and prime time games who left after a miserable record tying 2 win season and expressed frustration with the organization on his way out is the only QB who might make our ring of honor from the past 35 years.
Reply/Quote

I think it can be done a lot of different ways.  A lot of teams put the retired numbers or names inside the stadium:

[Image: Ring_of_Honor.jpg]

It's not a perfect "ring" in most stadiums these days, but the general shape is there and the term is thrown around.  

The Broncos also have an outside tribute:
[Image: USATSI_8042984-696x463.jpg]

They could also do something inside of the concourse, lining the walls.  

Honestly, I'd like to see a combination at PBS.  Put the biggest influencers inside the stadium in "classic" ROH fashion (which means in all honesty relatively few players all said and done, so there is plenty of space to work with), and then do more in the concourse.  It would allow them to add more history, more players, and make the space more interesting and inviting.  

I think just because there are a lot of players that are well-respected among fans, or players that have contributed to the team over the years, a lot of them would never make it to a true ROH, so running out of space wouldn't be a major concern to me.  The Cowboys have 22 in theirs currently and the WFT found room for 48.

The biggest issue just seems to be why it hasn't been done.  For anyone who says money, I don't believe that.  It's not expensive to put some letters and numbers up like these teams have.  Not by a long shot.  So there must be some other reason the team hasn't believed in recognizing individual contributors.  And maybe that's the answer right there; they see it as a team game and don't want to single out specific people.  I have no idea.  I don't think it's impossible to see it happen in the future, but it's obviously never been something MB has prioritized, and hard to know the reason there and whether it's rubbed off on the rest of the family. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 12:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton would have to get in...he was the only relevant QB MB ever had that left on not awful terms.  Ehh, I guess this is sort of what I meant in my prior post.  A QB who was good but better known for melting down in the playoffs and prime time games who left after a miserable record tying 2 win season and expressed frustration with the organization on his way out is the only QB who might make our ring of honor from the past 35 years.

I think Dalton would have to be in just due to his numbers. He's obviously not elite like Anderson or Esiason, but he has the numbers and records to get him on it.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 12:38 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I think it can be done a lot of different ways.  A lot of teams put the retired numbers or names inside the stadium:

[Image: Ring_of_Honor.jpg]

It's not a perfect "ring" in most stadiums these days, but the general shape is there and the term is thrown around.  

The Broncos also have an outside tribute:
[Image: USATSI_8042984-696x463.jpg]

They could also do something inside of the concourse, lining the walls.  

Honestly, I'd like to see a combination at PBS.  Put the biggest influencers inside the stadium in "classic" ROH fashion (which means in all honesty relatively few players all said and done, so there is plenty of space to work with), and then do more in the concourse.  It would allow them to add more history, more players, and make the space more interesting and inviting.  

I think just because there are a lot of players that are well-respected among fans, or players that have contributed to the team over the years, a lot of them would never make it to a true ROH, so running out of space wouldn't be a major concern to me.  The Cowboys have 22 in theirs currently and the WFT found room for 48.

The biggest issue just seems to be why it hasn't been done.  For anyone who says money, I don't believe that.  It's not expensive to put some letters and numbers up like these teams have.  Not by a long shot.  So there must be some other reason the team hasn't believed in recognizing individual contributors.  And maybe that's the answer right there; they see it as a team game and don't want to single out specific people.  I have no idea.  I don't think it's impossible to see it happen in the future, but it's obviously never been something MB has prioritized, and hard to know the reason there and whether it's rubbed off on the rest of the family. 

Yes, the inside ring is where I thought room could become problematic. I do like the idea of doing something like Denver has, but inside the concourse and just putting the elite few on the boards inside. Maybe just HOF players make the inside ring.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I really have no feelings towards it either way. With the way the Brown's value loyalty, I think he's burned his bridge, that's all. I guess it would come down to how many names are going to be on it, and who's names are in front of him. That was my point, there's only so much room. He was a great player for us, but when you get down to the all time great Bengals, I'm not sure he makes the cut.

If Carlos goes up, does double E go up? Does it feel like he deserves it?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote